Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/28/2006 3:50:45 PM EDT
I'm considering buying a Galil style handguard and an AR style collapsible stock.  I have to admit that  I haven't really followed too closely the changes that took effect post-post-ban, so I have no idea whether or how either modification would effect the current legality of my WASR-10, which has not been modified in any way so far.

So, first, have any of you found these mods to be advantageous?  Second, are they legal to make.  If it helps, I live in Arizona.  Of course, I am not interested in accidentally making my perfectly legal weapon illegal.

Also, if I do go forward with the purchase, what should I look for?  I see some of the AR stocks, for example, require stamped receivers and others don't.  Do I need more information on this or is it just as simple as buying a stock for a stamped receiver since that's what I have?  

Installation seems relatively simple, is this a mod that is recommended for a relatively new AK owner?  If it just takes a screw driver, then I'd just as soon do it myself.

Perhaps this has been addressed, but I wasn't able to find it in the forum, so forgive me if I'm asking for already covered information.  Any help on any of the questions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
They are all gay IMHO
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Now you've done it, quick, put on your flame suit and get out the fire extinguisher before it's too late!!!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#3]
To late!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, it's your AK and you can do to it what you wish.  That said, I wouldn't be caught dead with any of that mall nija "tactical" stuff on any of mine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I'm not as interested in purity or aesthetics as some AK owners (no offense intended - that's cool if it's your thing).  Since I'm not a collector, though, I'm more interested in improving the versatility of the rifle I have, and those two mods seem to offer advantages.  However, not having tried them on an AK, I don't know for sure, which is why I am asking here (where the experts are).  I realize to some folks even suggesting such a thing is the gun equivalent of putting a fish gene in a tomato (or chocolate in your peanutbutter).  Trust me, I sympathize.  Nevertheless...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, you have a WASR-10, and I'm assuming it has wooden stocks? If this is correct, then there is no way you can compromise the legality of your rifle by replacing imported parts with US made parts. There's a ton of info in the stickies about 922r compliance; that would be a great place for some answers. I personally don't know of any collapsible-type stocks except for the Tapco. Now, I've never handled/played with one of those, but I've messed with the Galil-style folding stock, and it seemed weak and fragile. I bet the other one is similar. I've also heard complaints that the Galil Handguards are pretty weak, and I'd imagine they could be susceptible to warping/melting due to rapid fire. As far as the ability to mount it, any Tapco product that says it's designed for a stamped receiver will work on the WASR. Installation of the buttstock requires you to drill a couple holes in the plastic, and insert some screws, I believe.  If there are other styles out there, they may be better options. I just don't know of any off the top of my head. I'm an AK purist, so I believe it's heresy to even think about it, but I do always admit that it is your toy, and you can do what you want with it. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#7]
ARE YOU GAY???
You have got to be GAY to want to do that to a fine rifle...
Tapcorizing
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The Tapco AR style stock is pretty good.
The entire stock is plastic, even the tube, but it is strong.

I like it because it gives me a longer length of pull.
And with it fully collapsed my kids can shoot it.  (and they do)

As for the Galil style handguard, I added it later.
Mainly because the rifle did not "look" right without it.

As far a shootability goes, I recommend it.
And I like the fact that all my AKs don't look the same.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#9]
As dar48 said,
You will not be breaking any laws by installing the tapco parts.
And the installation is very easy; anyone could do it.
The hardest part will be removing your old stock. Some are on there pretty tight.

And installing the handguard is also easy.
I did have to trim a little plastic to get a perfect fit on mine.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Horrible idea. The stock is ugly as shit, the galil style handgaurds dont look any better, in fact they look a lil crooked when installed right. Im no ak "PURIST" but i beg you, please dont do it. If you want a really cool stock google ace stocks, and cool handgaurds are available. As soon as i read your post i knew youd get the poster.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Hopefully you can ignore all the "helpful" information that the first posts had to offer.  There are a lot of people on here that can help out on most all of your questions, but there are the few that like to spew their unasked opinions.  Since you asked for help and not opinions - I'll try and offer some.

If you want to put an AR15 type stock on your WASR, I'd go a better way than the TAPCO 6pos stock.  I'd buy  real M4 AR15 stock.  It looks a whole lot better than the runner up that TAPCO sells.  Plus, if you ever want to add a different stock, you can.  If you go the TAPCO route, you will only have one stock.  The TAPCO is solid, but like I mentioned, your options will be limited.

Buy this adaptor:
www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=233&zenid=474ec86e55324ebd788e815949d1e904

Then purchase the 6 pos M4 style AR15 stock.  You can also buy it on the same site that the adaptor is on.  I think that they even offer a combo special,  but all I see is the combo for the 4pos stock.

Price wise it isn't that much more and if you shop around, it might even be cheaper than the TAPCO version.

Here's a picture of one I installed using the AR to AK adaptor.

I will be the first to agree with anyone that the normal AK configuration is better looking, but sometimes ugly works and serves its purpose.

DK
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Cut the guy some slack fellas...he's doing it to a WASR.
Not like it's a Steyr Maadi.

Sabate did you know that AKs can come with underfolders and sidefolders?  They work pretty well.

I have seen one of those Romanians  with an AR stock on it. Frankly, speaking it's an abomination. It looks like the front end of a Chevette...on a Corvette!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Fugly.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the Ace tip, SLAPhappy1.  There's some really good-looking stuff there, but it's a little expensive for me right now.  When I have the money, I would love to have more than one AK.  In the meantime, I'm hoping to build the best rifle I can with limited resources.

Also, thanks to Dar48, Roger3, M4C and doneking for the other great constructive comments.

doneking, is this the AR stock you were talking about?

I'm open to side- and underfolders.  But, I'm under the impression that the addition of an AR style stock will absorb more energy, and therefore help increase stability, accuracy, etc.  Is this not true?

Anyhow, I know from experience that if you hang in there and ignore the intial few reactionary comments, you get good, solid, non-dogmatic advice on this forum.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, that is the M4 6pos stock that I was referring too.

Good Luck!  Most of these folks are good people - They just like to get ya riled up every once in a while.

DK
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Try it if you like, its your weapon but I have a 6-pos on an AR and it ain't that great, I would much prefer a Daewoo side folder set-up. For about the same money you could gat a Romy or E.German side folder. Plus you can get what you paid for the side folder if you decide to get rid of it. Not many folks want the AR type stocks. M2C
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:48:43 AM EDT
[#17]
1.  Put AR15 recoil buffer and spring inside the the AK stock
2.  Defeat the stock postion selecter on the AK stock
3.  Raise rifle to shoulder, begin to giggle.
4.  BUMP away baby!!!

Thanks to Campybob for this tip. His included video shows him bumping a full drum while firing from the shoulder.  The AR nee AK stock serves as a giant Hellfire trigger via the buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Try it if you like, its your weapon but I have a 6-pos on an AR and it ain't that great, I would much prefer a Daewoo side folder set-up. For about the same money you could gat a Romy or E.German side folder. Plus you can get what you paid for the side folder if you decide to get rid of it. Not many folks want the AR type stocks. M2C

I agree!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
1.  Put AR15 recoil buffer and spring inside the the AK stock
2.  Defeat the stock postion selecter on the AK stock
3.  Raise rifle to shoulder, begin to giggle.
4.  BUMP away baby!!!

Thanks to Campybob for this tip. His included video shows him bumping a full drum while firing from the shoulder.  The AR nee AK stock serves as a giant Hellfire trigger via the buffer and spring.

Link to video?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Here's a picture of one I installed using the AR to AK adaptor.

I will be the first to agree with anyone that the normal AK configuration is better looking, but sometimes ugly works and serves its purpose.

DK

VERY NICE!!

But I'm going to disagree with you - I think that looks better than the 'normal' AK config, and it's definately more "user friendly".  Then again I think Glocks looks good.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thanks for the Ace tip, SLAPhappy1.  There's some really good-looking stuff there, but it's a little expensive for me right now.  When I have the money, I would love to have more than one AK.  In the meantime, I'm hoping to build the best rifle I can with limited resources.

Also, thanks to Dar48, Roger3, M4C and doneking for the other great constructive comments.

doneking, is this the AR stock you were talking about?

I'm open to side- and underfolders.  But, I'm under the impression that the addition of an AR style stock will absorb more energy, and therefore help increase stability, accuracy, etc.  Is this not true?

Anyhow, I know from experience that if you hang in there and ignore the intial few reactionary comments, you get good, solid, non-dogmatic advice on this forum.  Thanks for the help.

It hasn't been my experience that it increases controllability or reduces felt recoil.  That was with the buffer and spring inserted.  

I like the short length of standard AK stocks.  My VEPR stock looked great, but was too long.  I ended up putting an AR 4-pos stock on it using the black-jack buffer adapter.  

I feel no guilt for modifying my VEPR, as it actually fixed a real problem.  Now the following I have no excuse for.  Call it morbid curiosity.  After I had it all fixed up, I decided I liked it better in stock configuration, so switched it back.  I now have all those extra pieces for sale if you're interested.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#22]
good lord WHY?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#23]
AR parts on an AK make Baby Jesus cry.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
AR parts on an AK make Baby Jesus cry.

they certainly make me cry. Don't do it man!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top