Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/27/2006 6:16:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 6:20:25 AM EDT by J-L]
Unfortunately I don't have my Edzel AK book overhere, just appropriated a 1953 Russian Milled AK with the steel extension for the buttstock, it appears to be an Izvhesk (spelling?) arrow inside the triangle marking with 1953 date stamp. Pretty cool gun and shoots great. Too bad I can't bring it home! Any ideas how much it would be worth if it was transferrable? Overhere it's worthless, found it in a junk pile.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:34:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By J-L:
Any ideas how much it would be worth if it was transferrable?

How high is high?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:40:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rickinvegas:

Any ideas how much it would be worth if it was transferrable?

How high is high?

+1 A man was showing his AK that was in the movie RED DAWN that was fully transferable with a buttstock signed by MK himself. He said it was worth over $20k. I don't doubt that for a second.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:00:18 AM EDT

Unfortunately I don't have my Edzel AK book overhere, just appropriated a 1953 Russian Milled AK with the steel extension for the buttstock, it appears to be an Izvhesk (spelling?) arrow inside the triangle marking with 1953 date stamp. Pretty cool gun and shoots great. Too bad I can't bring it home! Any ideas how much it would be worth if it was transferrable? Overhere it's worthless, found it in a junk pile.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/J-L/afghanistan/AGHANWEAPONS2007.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/J-L/afghanistan/AGHANWEAPONS2011.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/J-L/afghanistan/AGHANWEAPONS2010.jpg

A milled Type II would be worth $30-50K easy. I doubt there are any in the US!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:10:46 AM EDT
Dude , awesome AK , " over here this thing is worthless" -- DAMN I WANT TO MOVE TO KENTUCKY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:45:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 7:52:42 AM EDT by Creeper]
Here it would be easily a $30K rifle if transferrable and rarity. Over fifty years of war and that AK still runs plus is all original. Take more pictures of it and clean it up a bit. It actually looks in great condition considering, whoever owned it probably took care of it to some degree because you notice the buttstock doesn't have any scrawlings on it, the handgards in good shape, probably all original. Amazing find. Whatever happened to war trophies? Tell them your taking it back for the armory.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:57:05 AM EDT
I came across one just like that when I was at Robin Sage last year, I told my squad leader I'd re-enlist if it was my bonus
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:00:52 AM EDT
uuuuhhhh, i think i'm gonna be sick
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:06:26 AM EDT
Can you at least strip it of parts and bring some of them back?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:13:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By buzgun:
Dude , awesome AK , " over here this thing is worthless" -- DAMN I WANT TO MOVE TO KENTUCKY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude....

he's in Iraq or Afghanistan probably.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:18:43 AM EDT
J-L, doesn't it just suck to find things like that and know you can't bring it home. Same as here in Baghdad - it's just junk. I will, however, take the furniture off of the milled Izzy AK I have. But I will give the poor rifle a quick death among his brothers in a demo charge before I leave. I will NOT give it and my others back into the crooked Iranian-backed Iraqi Police forces. They get enough weapons from Iran right now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:46:36 AM EDT
Great find!

You need a better camera. Clean that thing up real good and document the heck out of it with a real good camera.

Didn't somebody already bring something back for their unit armory? For reference purposes, of course.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:01:15 PM EDT
Sneak it back and keep it for your personal collection. Ive heard plenty of stories out people borrowing things home.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:07:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By UrbancommandoX:
Sneak it back and keep it for your personal collection. Ive heard plenty of stories out people borrowing things home.

That's not a good idea.
The best thing you could do to keep it would be to demill it, cut the receiver and bring the parts kit. Then re build it here... Sucks, but It's exactly what I would do. (that is if you can of course, just get a hand saw!!! )
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:13:16 PM EDT
Being with the original markings and the availablity of the AK being so easy available to the Ropers it would probably be worth about $2000US, you can easily have an AK built for less than $500.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:20:09 PM EDT
If they would sell us those guns they could fund the war effort and have a little left over for beer...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:25:55 PM EDT
Cut 1" out of the center of the receiver and let it magicaly disapear

When it re-appears get some metal and reweld it as a semi

Well then again dont do it, as much as you like it its not worth your job.

FREE
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:40:29 PM EDT
Guys, I know some of the people reading/posting have been in some nasty part of the world working at one time or another but they could probably tell you that currently no one will get that or any AK home unless through the unit...maybe. These days their even being pricks about that. A person may try to "dufflebag" it but they will fail. The trouble it brings down is not worth a gun that's $75.00 at best. "They" have played the game a while, also, and "they" will find it. Having worked with "they," I've seen it.

Unfortunately, just because it meets current BATF laws regarding de-milling in the States does not mean it can go back but there's always an exception or way that it cold work its way back. The military dictates what can be mailed by the commander on the ground - regardless of the US laws that are OK for magazines, gun parts, etc. Right now the rule is NO gun things. Too many idiots back in 2001 (and Gulf War) got popped doing really dumb stuff by trying to send things home - hand grenades, cluster bombs, mines. So the cover-all rule was established. They had a cow when I tried to mail home a vertical grip and a back-up sight for the M4. Really!

Now, on the flip side there are ways to get the things home that truly aren't a scare to anyone (magazines, handguards, grips, etc.) but you have to be smart about it and REALLY think about the key things about the item that give its presence away.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:39:47 PM EDT
If you could demil it and bring it back with an OK stamp then do it....If not,,cry and leave it alone..
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:47:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By uxo2:
If you could demil it and bring it back with an OK stamp then do it....If not,,cry and leave it alone..

+1
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:49:30 PM EDT

J-L , Is there anyway you could at Least make it a DEWAT and have your Unit keep it

for Display at the Home Base?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:23:07 PM EDT
Neat find

Thanks you for your service to our nation and stay safe!

God bless!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:54:19 PM EDT
Hey guys, they gun will be passed along to the next guy replacing me, not going to try and bring it home-not worth it.

Stay tuned, have a really old Russian underfolder AK, does not look like a tradtional stamped reciever, also looks like a transitional AK or prototype. Will post pics later.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:24:04 PM EDT
You could contact an importer and see if they could get it shipped back on their forms as a dealer sample. I mean it would be some work but definately worth it considering what it is and some others you are finding.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:29:55 PM EDT
WHen you leave make sure it goes to a friendly over there. dont let it get run over with a tank to please some politician. I too would love to see some better pics.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:41:00 PM EDT
take it out and shoot it until the receiver elongates and it is out of spec.

how many billions of rounds would that be?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:51:34 PM EDT
Actually, I have recently seen a Transferable Russian Milled type 2 for sale on the net. I belive the asking price was $18,000.. I'll see if I can find it again..
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:04:12 PM EDT
This is almost as bad as the guy who found the near perfect type I.

Almost.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:34:33 AM EDT

Hey guys, they gun will be passed along to the next guy replacing me, not going to try and bring it home-not worth it.

Stay tuned, have a really old Russian underfolder AK, does not look like a tradtional stamped reciever, also looks like a transitional AK or prototype. Will post pics later.

Sounds like a typeI.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:57:54 PM EDT
when i was in afghanistan, the colonel want to take home a ak for the regimental HQ. they would let him! they really keep tabs, but i know a guy after the invasion in march brought back a AK and a RPG laucher with rounds, he didn't get caught until he got back to camp lejuene, and that happened because he ran his mouth about it. if you get caught your f*cked, but I would say it wasn't impossible.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:34:58 PM EDT
its very possible to get it back just depends on who you know. but that weapon is defiantly not worth a BCD discharge. but i know of weapons that made it back to the states.. fyi been thier 2xs myself , come home safe.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:12:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By coltshorty14:
Actually, I have recently seen a Transferable Russian Milled type 2 for sale on the net. I belive the asking price was $18,000.. I'll see if I can find it again..

I serously doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:00:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:04:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 6:20:44 PM EDT by DaveS]
Find a Depot Level Crypto Tech (31 Sierra for doggies and 2881 for Marines) that's going to rotate the same time as you. Find the going price to ship in his Crypto Van. Should be the same rate as a few kilos of hash. CO's and ship Skippers don't fuck with loaded Crypto Vans. NSA has final authority. First Sergeants and Gunny's might... just to make sure their stuff is safe.

Dave S

[shultz's voice] I know nothing![/shultz's voice]

Did I ever mention that I loved my youth... and am suprised I survived it?

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:18:52 PM EDT
I would love to see a clear photo of the markings on the left side of the receiver. I'm glad to hear you are not considering bringing it home. Passing it on is a good idea.

Take care of yourself and keep an eye on your buddies til you make it home to the Bluegrass.
Top Top