Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 6:08:18 PM EDT
So, we all know how many people over on the dark side "the AR15 boards" love thier black rifles and hate AK's with a passion, swear they will never own one, and yet a lot of these "people" are going to just itching to buy the new Sig 556 when it comes out!  Ha!  Only if they knew.  Under all that dressing and plastic when it comes right down to it, it really is just AK with some neat and fancy options.  I finally got a look at the internals, and I swear if I did not know better, Id say they pulled the bolt and bolt carrier right out of an AK.  They are about 95% identical.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I heard 95% of the parts interchange.  You can even shoot 5.45X39 in the 5.56 chamber.

Most of the people on the AR boards seem to be repulsed by the super cheesy AR type stock on the Sig.  What everyone really wanted was a real Sig 55X.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
While I prefer the original style SIG stock I will buy the New one with the AR stock if I can when it comes out and do not think it looks to bad. I will still take my Veprs any day over my AR. To each his own though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
95% identical, yeah looks just like my WASR........
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The action is AK in design, STG44- whatever you want to call it with the addition of being able to use AR mags without all the AR handicaps.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So, we all know how many people over on the dark side "the AR15 boards" love thier black rifles and hate AK's with a passion, swear they will never own one, and yet a lot of these "people" are going to just itching to buy the new Sig 556 when it comes out!  Ha!  Only if they knew.  Under all that dressing and plastic when it comes right down to it, it really is just AK with some neat and fancy options.  I finally got a look at the internals, and I swear if I did not know better, Id say they pulled the bolt and bolt carrier right out of an AK.  They are about 95% identical.  

Yeah, they're 95% identical, except for being tighter than a prom-queen, and having the fit/finish indicative of Swiss weaponry....and I know from having owned a 550, accuracy that most AK's or their derivatives will never possess.

Most people don't favor AK's because of 3 things, ergonomics, accuracy, or shootability. The 550 makes an AK action appealling to people, like myself, who have a hard time shooting an AK well or enjoying a gun that doesn't seem to fit us.

Us AR "people" (I like the quotes around "people" btw, nice touch") like Swiss guns, we're not retarded. We know where it got its innards from.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my ARs and AKs and will probably love AUGs/ Sigs/ FN2000/etc etc.

Its supposed to be fun people! Own a bunch and shoot the hell out of them! I sure as shit do. Some people here are really fuggin uptight around here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:14:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:41:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Yea, I don't know why Sig went with the collapsable stock.  I would have liked the original stock, but I am still going to get one.  Maybe someone like ace will come out with an adapter so we can just throw on a folding stock instead.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Its supposed to be fun people! Own a bunch and shoot the hell out of them! I sure as shit do. Some people here are really fuggin uptight around here.

+1    

Some people just love to troll around looking to start fights, it probably pisses them off that I have both in the house. Might even throw him over the edge to find out I have a Glock AND a Colt 1911 too!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, they're 95% identical, except for being tighter than a prom-queen, and having the fit/finish indicative of Swiss weaponry....and I know from having owned a 550, accuracy that most AK's or their derivatives will never possess.

Most people don't favor AK's because of 3 things, ergonomics, accuracy, or shootability. The 550 makes an AK action appealling to people, like myself, who have a hard time shooting an AK well or enjoying a gun that doesn't seem to fit us.

Us AR "people" (I like the quotes around "people" btw, nice touch") like Swiss guns, we're not retarded. We know where it got its innards from.

Comparing a com-block design AK to a Sig 55x series is like comparing a Lada Niva to a Range Rover.
They will both get the job done, but one is made and put together infinitely better.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Who Cares ? ....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Personally, I'm surprised that there aren't more guns widely available that are based on the AK47 layout, with a gas piston instead of direct gas blowback. We have the SU16 series, Galil series, and soon we will have the Sig 55x series and perhaps sometime in the next five years guns such as the SCAR will become available.

I understand that people like the M16 series because of their ergonomics, interchangeability, superior fire selector system, and easier reloads, but I do find a bit of irony in the fact that we (both AK and AR fans) are all slavering over this next generation of rifles which are really sort of designed with the best components of both platforms.

Range, reliability, and durability are the most important, in my eyes, but I'll still be happy when I can get my hands on a fancy next-gen assault rifle...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might even throw him over the edge to find out I have a Glock AND a Colt 1911 too!

Oh the horror! Is one 9mm and one a 45?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The action is AK in design, STG44- whatever you want to call it with the addition of being able to use AR mags without all the AR handicaps.

please for the sake of this board, don't say that again.

the STG44 and the AK have little in common.  The AK has more in common with the M1 Garand than the STG44/MP44.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the STG44 and the AK have little in common.  The AK has more in common with the M1 Garand than the STG44/MP44.

Well said.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you very much.......  Couldn't have said it better. Mr. K stated he studied the Garand and M 1 carbine in comeing up with ideas for the AK series. WD
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top