Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/24/2006 2:04:58 PM EDT
I was hand cycling my new AK a little bit ago, and I noticed that when I dry fired it, continue to hold the trigger back, and cycle the action, that the hammer would not stay cocked back, but would instead follow the bolt back closed.  This AK is new to me from a recent build with a Romy military parts kit on a GT reciever,  and the person I bought it from said he never fired it.   I am assuming the builder did not test fire it either, or he would have noticed this.  This would create a slam fire condition, correct?  Upon further inspection, I noticed the disconnector rotates freely and the spring between the disconnector and trigger is gone!!  I assume this is my problem.  Can the spring be slipped into place without taking the FCG out?  I would really like to shoot this thing this weekend, but obviously can't in this condition.  Please help.  I suppose I am going to have to order a spring from K-Var, and pay a lot of shipping on a $1.50 spring.    Oh well, thats life I guess.  I can take pics if need be.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not know what that would cause, but it is unsafe and needs to be fixed. In a real FA AK, the hammer stays back untill the bolt locks closed and then it releases. I do not think the AK can fire out of battery, it does not have the safety sear like an SKS does but since it is a rotating bolt weapon I think that it is save untill the bolt locks.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you need to replace that spring,
Yes, you will have remove the FCG to do it.
But this should correct your problem.

I would not fire this gun untill you get that spring in there.

Call the place that did the build. They might have an extra spring laying around that they will send you / no charge.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Call the place that did the build. They might have an extra spring laying around that they will send you / no charge.

I have no plans on firing it until it is fixed.
Can I just drive that pin out that the disconnector is on and then take the disconnector out without taking everything else out?  That would at least be a lot easier.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What he said. I had to reread the post. Good advise. Wardawg
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have no plans on firing it until it is fixed.
Can I just drive that pin out that the disconnector is on and then take the disconnector out without taking everything else out?  That would at least be a lot easier.

Good idea.
Just move/adjust the shepard hook (retaining spring) so that you can get the pin out.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I was looking at it some more, and the pin looks like it has a clip holding it in place.  Looks like if I pop that clip off, and slide the pin out enough to get the disconnector out, I should be golden.  

Any chance I could find a spring at a local hardware or parts store?  Would be really nice not to have to order this.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was looking at it some more, and the pin looks like it has a clip holding it in place.  Looks like if I pop that clip off, and slide the pin out enough to get the disconnector out, I should be golden.  

Any chance I could find a spring at a local hardware or parts store?  Would be really nice not to have to order this.

Some folks do put C clips on the pins rather than the Shepards hook.  Good luck. WD
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I got everything disassembled OK.  Sure glad they used that clip instead of the sheppards hook.  Now I just need to find a spring.  K-Var has them for $1.50, but I don't want to pay $10 shipping on it. hey
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Got a free disconnector spring from a member on AK Files.  Got works as it should now.  Thanks to all that gave their input.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top