Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 6:26:13 PM EDT

www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=234

OR....

www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=233

This will be my first AK, a truck gun and general use/abuse knock around rifle. Reliability and durability are my only concerns.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:27:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 9:36:41 PM EDT by 1IV]
Atlantic Firearms gets my vote I like the wood.

Edit They are right , The wood looks better, but if it is a converted WASR you dont want it. Go wih the bottom, because I dont trust the Non dimpled converted reciever. I have so much to learn.... About AKs
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:33:40 PM EDT
They're both from Atlantic. The wood model is $399 and mentions it comes with a chrome lined barrel. The classic poly is $529 but doesn't say anything about the barrel. Is it chrome lined also?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:43:17 PM EDT
They both should be chrome lined, the wood one is a WASR converted to take high cap mag's the poly is not, you can tell by the mag well dimples on the poly and none on the wooded one. Price seems kind of high for the WASR to me, I just picked up a WASR2 a short time ago for under $300. I'm not sure whos parts are used on the Poly one but I'm guessing its probably a parts kit built on US reciever, depending on who's parts the quality could be much higher on that one. WASR's are hit or miss you may get a good one or you may get one with canted sights and/or trigger slap.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:43:28 PM EDT
depends if you want poly or wood. if you like the wood i would look at the vector classic which is the wood stock version of the poly you have listed
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:44:37 PM EDT
You might be better off with this
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Yugoslavian_AK_M70AB2_7.62x39_Under-Folder_Rifle.html
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:50:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 6:53:17 PM EDT by MrMojoRising]
Not a fan of folders, thanks for the suggestion though.

Other than the wood vs. poly furniture what's the difference in the two guns?

Why the $130 price difference? And is it a difference worth paying for?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:50:59 PM EDT
I would go for the poly version, however the wood version would be good if your looking for the classic Ak look.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:03:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 7:04:08 PM EDT by dar48]
Main difference, and reason for price jump is quality of parts used. I can't swear to it, but I'll bet the Poly is a Vector product. They utilize US made receivers, usually a better US FCG than the Century WASRs will (no trigger slap), and the likelihood of having canted sights or a sloppy mag well with the Vector is much less (I'd say close to 0, but there have been a few rare problems). So, if you want to get the WASR and save $130 that you may or may not have to reinvest in better parts, go for it. I personally like wood much better than poly furniture, but that's just me. I would second the idea of buying the Vector "classic" with the wood furniture. They are better quality guns overall.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:16:56 PM EDT
Go with the Poly, it has a Chi-Com hammer barrel I believe and true form reciever instead of the modified single stack one that the WASR uses.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:00:04 AM EDT
Is the classic poly a chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:07:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By oxyman:
I would go for the poly version, however the wood version would be good if your looking for the classic Ak look.

does no one know the diff between the two other than the LOOKS??

my god...

one is a shitty WASR high cap, and the other is a VECTOR ARMS rifle...two TOTALLY DIFFERENT AKS IN QUALITY.

The Vector is built nicely, and the WASR was thrown together with sloppy cuts in the mag well.

Vector is a far better rifle, and wont have any of the issues of the WASR...

does no one here KNOW THEIR AKS ANYMORE.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:02:27 AM EDT
Get the wood, then buy a cheap plastic furniture set for when you want to use it as a "beater". Get both
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:48:36 AM EDT
the Wood is a Wasr one of the lowest quality AKs you can get
the other looks like it was made from a kit probably has US made funiture that runs around $80 to $90 might have a G2 trigger,
If you want a good built rifle look on the EE
for the price of that bottom one you can probably find an Arsenal although slightly used if any
the quality will be far better and the price will be the same.
You can even find some Romanian builds cheap enough that are very well made.
thats my 2cent
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:11:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 6:12:16 AM EDT by infantryman]
I just ordered the Vector classic AK you have pictured above except I went with wood stocks. They are made with an American made receiver and finished off with Polish or/and Hungarian parts. 5 year warranty. They don't mention anything about chrome bore but I'm hoping it is.

mention to them you are a member of AR-15.com for the DISCOUNT!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:15:57 AM EDT
I guess I'm a little confused. I've read plenty of posts that say the AK is the most durable, foolproof, rugged battle rifle ever built. They all say there are 30 year old AK's over in Kerplakistania that have never been cleaned or oiled and were hammered out of old pie plates by a blind goat farmer and they're still shooting just fine.

I like variety and subsrcibe to the "life is short, own them all" philosophy so of course I want to try out an AK and see for myself. $500 isn't alot for a good, DEPENDABLE, RELIABLE, TOUGH AS SHIT battle rifle, and I don't mind paying that much. But that's all I want it for....to kick the ever loving shit out of, throw in the truck behind the seat and maybe clean once in a while when I get really, really bored.

I'd rather have new, especially when they cost less than a grand, and want RELIABLE AND RUGGED....that's it. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks All.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:35:44 AM EDT
you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

dude, get the vector.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:46:06 AM EDT
That's what I thought.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:31:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 12:33:20 PM EDT by spray-n-pray]
It is neither of the ones you list, but is "better" than both. Chrome lined, bulgarian made and 1.6mm bulgaian made receiver. If you want a shooter and don't mind paying a little more than a WASR, this is "IT".

SSR85c2
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:59:50 PM EDT
Well shit, just when I thought my mind was made up.

Does anyone know for sure if the Vector is chrome lined or should I just call Atlantic?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:04:23 PM EDT
Out of the two. Vector Vector Vector Vector

Then step up to an Arsenal and a Vepr
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:06:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By spray-n-pray:
It is neither of the ones you list, but is "better" than both. Chrome lined, bulgarian made and 1.6mm bulgaian made receiver. If you want a shooter and don't mind paying a little more than a WASR, this is "IT".

SSR85c2

I have that model and it blows my WASR out of the water. It is a much nicer rifle for not much more and it has the thick reciever. The wood on them is very nice also.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:08:32 PM EDT
Just got off the phone with Atlantic. No Vector in stock.....checking on the SSR.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:14:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrMojoRising:
Just got off the phone with Atlantic. No Vector in stock.....checking on the SSR.

Thanks for the help.

For another $50-$60, you have the very best factory new AK - ARSENAL

SA M7 Carbine!!!!

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:31:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By redfisher:

For another $50-$60...

Keep going fellas, you'll have me spending $1k in no time!

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:42:37 PM EDT
that arsenal is the one to get
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:52:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By redfisher:

Originally Posted By MrMojoRising:

Thanks for the help.

For another $50-$60, you have the very best factory new AK - ARSENAL

SA M7 Carbine!!!!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/redfisher19/sam600x450.jpg

+1
Got one, totally agree.
Top Top