Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/23/2006 8:34:04 AM EDT
Came across a SAR 3 for sale but wondering about lack of replacement parts for what I've read as recurring problems with soft bolts. Is this for real?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:05:12 PM EDT
I though there was an issue with them having soft hammers so they wouldn't contact with the firing pin, so no boom. I might be wrong though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:32:05 PM EDT
You can get replacement parts all over the place. You should change FCG on SAR 3 toa G2 or Red Star. WASR 3 comes with a G2 FCG already installed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:05:21 PM EDT
Thanks for the posts. I've got a Romy sidefolder and plastic Romy/EG handguards and with a red 922 compliant pistol grip it would look pretty good. Saw a WASR 3 posted on another site set up that way and that pretty much decidied it for me. The She Devil is gonna be pissed. Thanks for the help Old Troop.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:23:47 PM EDT
I have a WASR3 setup like that....... 762x39.net go to the WASR3 link.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:36:41 PM EDT
Never heard of a soft SAR 3 bolt, but you can replace them with Buglarian 5.45 bolts, with a bit of work that is.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:32:13 PM EDT
You can replace the bolt with a standard Bulgarian 5.56 and a 7.62 carrier along with replacing the HTS. Then it should run fine. I found a SAR 3 on guns America for $500 but that is a bit much considering only $100 or so more would get a the milled Bulgarian.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:33:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Creeper:
You can replace the bolt with a standard Bulgarian 5.56 and a 7.62 carrier along with replacing the HTS. Then it should run fine. I found a SAR 3 on guns America for $500 but that is a bit much considering only $100 or so more would get a the milled Bulgarian.

That won't work, in that the Bulgarian 5.56 rifle is AK-47 based. The bolt head is much shorter, so you would not be able to gain headspace with a AK-47 bolt in a AK-74. That is unless you pressed the barrel in farther, then you would have to change out the gas block so that the gas tube would work, and remount the handguard retainer, the rear sight base, well you get the idea.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:36:38 PM EDT

I have had my SAR 3 for about 5 years.
Replaced the- Hammer Only - when rifle was New. ( Redstar Arms hammer.)

I use only the steel weiger mags.

Have never had a problem
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:46:29 PM EDT
OLD TROOP it was indeed yours I saw on another site. Thanks to all for the info. You see I had the EG handguards and Romy sidefolder but didn't care for them shooting my 7.62 so instead of thinking about selling them (my wife's idea) I asked myself, " What would any self respecting mamber of this board do?" BUY ANOTHER AK
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:35:59 PM EDT
So the bolt head itself is actually deeper? I know the stem on the 5.56 Romy is 74 style. However the older stamped Bulgarians were a combination of 74 style and 47 style. Bolt carriers being 47 pattern, internals being 74 pattern and reciever 74 pattern. Now the new milled guns are 47 pattern.

Originally Posted By Ekie:

That won't work, in that the Bulgarian 5.56 rifle is AK-47 based. The bolt head is much shorter, so you would not be able to gain headspace with a AK-47 bolt in a AK-74. That is unless you pressed the barrel in farther, then you would have to change out the gas block so that the gas tube would work, and remount the handguard retainer, the rear sight base, well you get the idea.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:48:58 AM EDT
Yes the distance from the locking surface to the face of the bolt is about 3mm longer on a AK74 then on a AK-47. You can see it by just looking at the two bolts side by side.

The Bulgarian 5.56 rifle is AK-47 pattern, and were built on milled receivers. The first batch of kits that arrived in country were less a trunion because they were for milled receivers.

The Bulgarian have made some updateds to the AK-47 that make them appear more modern. For example, drilling the gas port 90 degrees and using a modern gas block, press in rather then threaded barrels, etc. But they are still AK-47's.

So the bolt head itself is actually deeper? I know the stem on the 5.56 Romy is 74 style. However the older stamped Bulgarians were a combination of 74 style and 47 style. Bolt carriers being 47 pattern, internals being 74 pattern and reciever 74 pattern. Now the new milled guns are 47 pattern.

Originally Posted By Ekie:

Top Top