Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/23/2006 5:33:56 AM EDT
I have a Kreb's KTR-03S in 7.62x39 and I want to start practicing to get into 3 gun this spring and summer.  I will be shooting a Saiga 12 and a CZ-75 SP-01 or one of my 10mm full-size pistols with extremely downloaded 10mm.

Because the KTR-03S only weights 7.5 lbs. (actually feels more like 6 lbs. when shouldering, very light), it has the regular AK muzzle climb, even with the AR style birdcage flash surpressor/brake with slots only on the upper half.  I think it would be beneficial to thread on an effective compensator like a Jerry Miculek brake to give me faster sight aquisition, especially if everyone else will be shooting .223 AR's.  I have shot AK's with the '74 brakes on them and they are pretty effective at lowering recoil and stopping muzzle climb.

I believe the muzzle is threaded 14x1mm LH like most AK's but I need to check that at home.  Does anyone know if there is a Miculek type brake in 14x1mm LH?  Are there any other types of brakes I should be looking at?  AMD-65 brakes seem to somewhat help, but they increase flash more than any I have seen and don't really reduce recoil that much.

Miculek Brake
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Tough to get serious muzzle taming in 7.62x39. The Miculek barake works so good on the 223 because of low projectile weight and higher gas volume/projectile weight ratio.

A Miculek "type" brake would work, so would and Armalite 3-slot type. Also a Bushmaster y-comp too. I had a custom 3-gun rig built with a 3-port, brutal on bystanders but great for eliminating climb. All these designs would be less effective on climb due to the v/p ratio though.

all are gonna have to be custom threaded though. Contact Jayso at IGF, he is who threaded/attached my breaks (during the ban)

pic here
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#2]
AK-74 breaks are suposed to be the best at reducing recoil... At least the History channel said so!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get a U.S. made '74 brake for little cost.  $20.00.  These are readily available in 14mm LH thread configuration.  "socandyman" had them for the aforementioned price.  

Quite a bit of blast, however, compared to a flash suppressor.

Bud
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The Rom. slash cut works for me.   I'm shooting 3gun w/kobra on side rail and drum

I really lean into it, no muzzle climb... front sight rotates from 12 oclock to 11 oclock and back as weapon cycles....   without slash cut, it doesn't do it, so seems the climb turns into a managable twist, is that same for you guys?

I also have 74 style on another, it's OK too
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top