Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/22/2006 4:38:58 PM EDT
I'm not new to the internet or guns, so I know this post will probably draw responses from a few "internet authorities" that will advise me that Im a moron if I dont spend top dollar for the best 'insert flavor of the month here' available.

That said, I own a long list a weapons that range the entire gamut of price and quality, but I do not own a single AK47....yet.
Im looking for recommendations on a decent AK with traditional wood furniture in the classic profile. I'm shooting for something in the sub 400 buck range. Finish isnt a concern. A reliable el cheapo is my primary target.
Any input on a good value for the buck in the low end AK? Other important AK advice welcome also.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
My first AK was a WASR-10, its a Romanian version and has the wood stock and grips. Price will run about $350, but handle it before you buy as they are known to have canted sights. Not a big problem to fix, but easier not to have to.

Try this link
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Ignoring the Vepr Mafia with their sporterized AK style rifles...  

Check out www.classicarms.us

This guy is advertising Romanian WASR10's, post ban style (no threaded barrel or bayonet) for $269.95 in Shotgun News.

If you can find a dealer who will do FFL transfers cheaply, ($30 or less IMHO) and depending on shipping, this is probably the best deal around.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My first AK was a WASR-10, its a Romanian version and has the wood stock and grips. Price will run about $350, but handle it before you buy as they are known to have canted sights. Not a big problem to fix, but easier not to have to.

Try this link

I just sold my WASR

If you get one with a straigh front site then everything should be great.  I ran about 3,000 threw mine and never had a single problem, plus you dont have to worry about letting it bounce around in the trunk or something...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm not new to the internet or guns, so I know this post will probably draw responses from a few "internet authorities" that will advise me that Im a moron if I dont spend top dollar for the best 'insert flavor of the month here' available.

That said, I own a long list a weapons that range the entire gamut of price and quality, but I do not own a single AK47....yet.
Im looking for recommendations on a decent AK with traditional wood furniture in the classic profile. I'm shooting for something in the sub 400 buck range. Finish isnt a concern. A reliable el cheapo is my primary target.
Any input on a good value for the buck in the low end AK? Other important AK advice welcome also.
Thanks in advance.

What you described is a WASR-10..
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]
WASR GP

trigger group is a little better and it comes threades and w/ bayo lug

about $330 online AIM surplus
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Guys, I really do appreciate the input without the grandstanding. So far, it seems like the WASR is a pretty easy choice for you guys. This eliminates lots of research and gives me the direction I wanted.
I use a Ret. Marine FFL that will recieve for 1 case of Coors Light, per weapon (funny but true story). So thats a cheap an easy hook up.
Thanks for the direct advice.

Now......is ammo going to be a whole other problem? Im reading that 763x39 is slim pickins right now.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 on Classic Arms WASR. Good prices and nice people.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey bro, I would suggest you go to a local gunshow and look at it personally if you get a wasr.  That's what I did and the first few I looked at had crooked FSB and gas tube.  When I filled out the paper work I just had them open the box and let me  inspect it before the wrote the serial numbers down on the paper work.  If you order one you don't know what you might get since sometimes the wasr's can be hit or miss.  They can be fixed pretty easily but it's better not to have to.

Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top