Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 2:58:27 PM EDT
I just got a "AA" Kobra and still playing around with it.  

How do look through it with both eyes open...is there a trick...because im finding it kinda hard to do.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you focusing your eyes on the target?

I've never used a kobra, but I'd imagine its like any other reflex sight.  If you focus on the sight the reticle will blur or disappear, but if you focus on the target you should see the reticle clearly.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Turn the sight on
Shoulder rifle
Look straight ahead with both eyes open
A dot will magically apear in the middle of your FOV
Don't  focus on the dot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Turn the sight on
Shoulder rifle
Look straight ahead with both eyes open
A dot will magically apear in the middle of your FOV
Don't  focus on the dot.

What he said. Ideally you should relearn yourself to shoot with both eyes open on all your guns. Dots or not.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Even iron sighted rifles, drobs?
I shoot my pistols both eyes open but with rifles I find myself laying ontop of the gun if I tryw with both eyes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Even iron sighted rifles, drobs?
I shoot my pistols both eyes open but with rifles I find myself laying ontop of the gun if I tryw with both eyes.

As I get older (I hit 30 last april) and my vision gets worse, it get's harder to do.
The idea is with 2 eye's open is that you can see what's / who's coming at you in what would have been your blind spot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
My vision is till pretty good over here.
I understand the principal of a larger FOV.  Can't do it comfortably with any rifle I've tried it on though.  I like reddots....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Simple task, dont focus on the dot reticle, look at the target, shoulder the weapon while still focusing on the target, the dot will appear in focus and on the same plane as the target, DO NOT LOOK AT THE DOT EVER PERIOD. The idea is to focus on what u are trying to hit, contrary to all other sighting systems.  Once you are looking at your TARGET and the dot is magicly on it, sqeeze and bang, killshot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Hummmm  I tried that but the steel hood gets in the way and blurs things up.

I think im still doing it wrong.

Oh...and how do you tighten the mount to rail fit?  I have the model which has the mount built into the Kobra.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok for the tightening thing just go to Tantals website, just google it, its pretty simple.  As for the sight, u are completely OVERTHINKING this, its sooo simple ull kick urself once u finally get it.  The idea is not to get both eyes looking thru the reticle, but line up only one eye looking thru the hood, this way when you are looking AT YOUR TARGET, with both eyes open, the red dot will be in focus, and yes the hood will be blurry, a sort of ghost image that you should not focus on, and in time u will come to forget about.  Its a similar concept to iron sites in that you focus on the front sight with the target out of focus and the rear sight out of focus, except this time with the red dot, only your target is in focus.  Your brain will subconsiously line everything up and focus the dot.  Practice looking at the target with both eyes open.  While continuously looking at it, shoulder the rifle so that your shooting eye is looking thru the Kobra's hood, now that both eyes are still on the target, your brain automaticly blends the two seperate images each of your eyes sees into one image with the dot on the target.  This is the same principal to how the boresight reticle of the apache helicopter works, there is a monocle containing flight data and a gunsight resting just in front of the pilots right eye, the other eye is unobstructed.  Everywhere he looks he sees the reticle and flight data. All he has to do is turn his head and squeeze the trigger.  Same idea, if you dont think about it, your brain will do all the work, THE KEY IS FOCUS ONLY ON YOUR TARGET!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you guys might have missed a clue. Our friend might be left eye dominant shooting right handed. I have seen it a good number of times. This might be the case, or it may not. Try shouldering the rifle left handed, then look through your optic. If it looks correct, then you might want to to try shooting left handed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#11]
that had occured to me, but according to my instruction with these things is that eye dominance should not play a role.  but maybe thats just me, our brains are all wired differently
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Eye dominance does matter. Even though you are looking straight ahead your dominant eye is what gives you focus on your target. Your other eye widens your field of view. It is the same when using peep, or ghost ring sights.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#13]
It's impossible to shoot an iron sighted rifle with both eyes open if you're right handed and left eye dominant or vise versa.

Don't know about red dots, but I would think that because they're mounted higher, you could possibly get the left eye behind it and keep the right eye open.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Alright I got it to work!

The problem was I was shouldering it like a regular rifle.....but when I lifted my head up a little I could see the red dot on target with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#15]
yeah, it is a bit high as far as the mount is concerned, the russians claim that a "chin" weld rather than a cheek weld is better in combat because it maintains a more heads up position which promotes awareness of your surroundings.  This might be somewhat of a design afterthought as the mount for the sight is pretty limited as far as placement is concerned.  But im inclined to agree with the principal, much more of my surroundings are in my feild of view if my head is up, rather than down over the rifle stock.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top