Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:34:02 AM EDT
Heres what happened. I stuck 20 rounds in a mag.  First 8 went perfect, then just a click.  A shell went in the chamber but got pushed in too far and the extractor claw didnt open around the shell and just butted up to it instead pushing it too far into the chamber.
 I was able to pull the shell out with my fingernail and looked at it. It had a shoulder that was pushed back a bit and i slid it back in the chamber and compared it to a new shell and it probably got the shoulder pushed back .020 inches.   I put the shell in my pocket and ran 5 more thorough and the same thing happened. just a click, pull the bolt back and shell is still in chamber, but pulls out easy with my fingernail.  this shell was a brass case where the other was a stell case so i know its not a shell problem.
 I got home and pulled out my Romy kit, unissied.   I slid the shells into that chamber and compared them to the polish and they were sitting in the same depth.  New shells sit in the same depth as well with both guns so i doubt my chamber is worn or anything like that.   So, what do you think?
 I took my dremel and made a slightly larger chamfer on the front of the extractor claw to aid in the claw sliding around and off to the side of the shell to grab into the groove but will not be able to test fire it for a few days but this will drive me nuts until then.   Any other reason why the extractor claw will not open up and instead just headbutt the poor case into the bore?  the rest or the 18 shels were fine
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
no one?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same problem with my Romy G build.  Last weekend I put a few hundred rounds through it and that happend twice.  If anyone here can chime in with a solution it would be greatly appreciated.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#3]

It sounds like your Headspace is way off.

I would NOT shoot it any more until  someone who really knows AKs

Looks at it!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It sounds like your Headspace is way off.

I would NOT shoot it any more until  someone who really knows AKs

Looks at it!!

My AK was headspaced and passed the go and no-go.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]
headspace is the one thing i would rule out. I though about that for a while but this is why i nixed that idea. Why would headspace keep an extractor from glancing off to the side to reach around and grap the shell??  I would think that if the shell case was not pounded into the chamber hard meaning the headspace was too long but this is not headspace.  The reason it is getting pounded into the chamber is the extractor stayed in and acted like an extension off the front of the bolt.   If the headspace was too short the bolt  would not want to close all the way and the extractor would even want to reach around the case even more.  Besides, all the other casings are perfect looking. Well i guess you could say the headspace was off on a technicality but not from the bolt face but because of the extractor being stuck between the bolt and the shell face instead of sliding off to the side...
 Anyone else got an opinion?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I nailed it!!  all better now.  I went down in the Lab and did some testing. I tried putting in a new shell and lightly pushing the carrier and bolt up against the shell in the chamber and noticed the extractor was not in the mood to move on over very much and sometimes just head butted it.
 I grabbed the Romy carrier and bolt and slide that one in and sure enough that extractor wanted to slide over as soon as a little force was put on the back of the carrier with my thumb.
 So then i tried the polish carrier with the romy bolt and still was good. Tried the romy carrier with polish bolt and headbutt city!!
So i put all the polish stuff back in, took a  Sharpie magic marker and blackened up the extractor and lightly bumped the bolt into the shell a few times and removed the bolt to look and see where the contact point was.  Sure enough, just as i originally though the chamfer had to come back another .005 or so.  Took the dremel and a small diamond bit and brought back the chamfer only where the shell was contacting and them polished it up with the rubber wheel.  Put it back in and that extractor wants to slide right on over now!!
 I was on the right track but just didnt want to take too much off the fist time around.  I probably only brough the chamfer back .009 inches or less.  What had probably happened with this used polish bolt is that the extractor wore a little on the inside portion where it sits back inside the bolt causing it to push the claw too far towards the center portion of the bolt, therefore moving the chamfer inward too far as well.
 So there you have it!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Where is the bolt picking up the round? That can be a problem area to.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Where is the bolt picking up the round?  That can be a problem area to.

Lucy, you got some splaining to do!  Not sure what you mean. But by any means it seems to be fixed. without test firing it i can be pretty sure all will be fine now.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top