Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 5:06:31 AM EDT
There were two identical rifles for sale as consignment at Heritage Gun shop in Austin (off 183 and Anderson Mill).  One was used at $1199 and the other new at $1299.    Supposedly the owner of the guns buys everything in pair (one to shoot, and the other whatever...)

Some specs:
Receiver - Saiga 7.62x39 with side optics rail
Barrel - was about 18 inches long with A2 type flash hider (must have been from 20 inch Saiga)
Internals - FSE
Grip - Tapco SAW (or look alike)
Stock - VLTOR collapsible.
Front sight - custom gas block with AR-15 type sight post with elevation only.  
Gas Tube - Possibly AMD-63 tube mated with galil gas tube.  The AK front trunnion was slotted to accept the gail gas tube end.
Rear sight - A2 type with windage adjustment only
Front hand guard - three picatiny rails going all the way to the front sight.  Looks like it is pinned to the barrel (this was a disappoinment for me.  I was hoping for free float)
Top cover - picatiny rail attached with screws from inside.
Safty - AK style on the right and Galil style on the left.  Contrary to my post ban Global Trades galil, this safety works correctly.  Push foward to fire pull back to safe.  Worked well.

Fit and finish - top notch.  There was no discernable movement on the top cover.  Bolt movement was very smoth.  Trigger was excellent.

One thing I did not like about was the VLTOR stock (putting my anti-flame suite on now).  I have never seen VLTOR stock before and only heard how wonderful they are.  It did look good on the gun but felt too flimsy.  I think I would have preferred ACE folding stock if I was going to spend that much on a stock.

Also, the slot modification for the gas tube left the wall above the trunnion pin little bit thin.  I didn't think this was a good idea.

Overall, I was very impressed but felt it was just a bit overpriced (yes, that is my opinion and I am entitled to have one).  The shop told me that there is a six months wait if I wanted to order one.  

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top