Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2006 5:28:24 AM EDT
Ok so i was with my pal at an outdoor shooting range, i dont have my own rifle at the moment but we were having a blast with his HAHA blast...get it?! anyway there were some guys who looked to be in their late 20's, i dont recall what kind of rifles they had brought, but it was so obvious that they were laughing, giggling, making fun and being dicks merely because we had an AK-47. So they were ignored for the rest of our visit but i beleive it was when they were leaving when they said something along the lines of "did you buy that because you think it makes you a badass?". Personally i really outgrew that kind of shit a long time ago, they were older than us so we just let them walk away. So yeah we pretty much got punked. Is this an occasional occurance or do these rifles get the respect i think they deserve. i absolutely love these things and i'm about a week or two from buying my own. so anyway, anyone got ideas on what i should say the next time some prick does the same thing?

thnx
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:34:27 AM EDT
[#1]
AKs tend to draw nasty looks, mostly from vets who have been extra-holed by them.

But it sounds like from your story those guys might have been punking you for having any sort of "evil black gun."  I wonder if they'd act the same around an AR.  Some people, even gun owners, just don't like anything that looks like it would have been covered by the AWB.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#2]
next time ask nope, demand they shoot it.  let them burn a 30 round mag.
one they will realize that shooting some guns are fun.  they don't hurt like deer rifles.
two you must be rich because they shot a box and a half of ammo $30.00?.  nope $4.00.

then just sit back and grin becuse you will have a converted someone to "fun guns".  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#3]
what were they shooting?  I first assumed they brought ARs.  

that happens a lot.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:42:46 AM EDT
[#4]
AK rifles?

Now I'm still talking about AR15's.  When I brought mine to several local ranges, those hunters raised their eye browses.  I understand what you get for an AK rifle.   Both my friend & me got the same expression when we showed up w/ AK & AR15 rifles.

I was shooting about 1 MOA group at 100 yd. with iron sight while other hunters w/ scoped rifles shooting all over the places.
I showed them which rifle is better!  Of course I'm also a good shooter...

Over past 6 months or so, I see more young people coming to the ranges w/ AR15's but no one w/ AK rifles.  I will be the evil one who will deliver ultimate evilness w/ my soon-to-be-gotten AK rifle!

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]
It's the other way around, here where we shoot. Open, free range and when we go shootin', once we start, all the others around us usually lay their weapons down and end up bunching around us while we shoot. They're fascinated by the ak's. We end up lettin' whoever wants to try, shoot ours and after that it's, I gotta get me one of those babys. Educatein' 'em. Madtechcool
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#7]
thats happened to me before. i pulled out my ak at a range and i got a lot of smerks and laughs from the AR super tactical guy that was there. he had his load bearing vest and his whole setup on. i swear i think someone needed to tell him that this isn't 24 the way he was acting with the gun. he keep on shifting and making hand motions. it was amusing, especially with his out of shape ass doing it. i know , i shouldn't laugh- but man, it was funny.

i always find a good conversation followed by a "hey, wanna see why i bought an ak? lets beat each others rifles up" is the best way to shut the up. ask them if they want to bury their guns in the mud(assuming its an outdoor openrange) with you- this is especially a good one if its an ar or something.

no one has yet to say yes to my offer. i keep hoping.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#8]
A couple times now I've had guys ask me at the range if  they could try my AKM. My standard response is "Sure, but only if you have $3 to cover the 30 rounds of ammo."
Actually I could care less about the $3 as most of these guys are also letting me try their own guns. But I just like their expressions when theyr realize that $3 will cover a whole 30 round mag of ammo.
Yep. Best to be on SG's backorder list for ammo. These are great guns for cheapskates.
All these guys are active duty Marines, Navy or retired or LEOs. (It's a range at a marine Camp.) My kind of crowd. Its fun to try different guns this way too. And you pick up some great shooting tips too.
Frankly I'm amazed at how many of the active duty guys really like AKs. Many of  them have told me how they used them in Iraq. But then these guys weren't the ones actually hit by them. I'd understand perfectly if some wounded Vet were upset over it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:00:51 AM EDT
[#9]
yeah ubertaktikal, lotza lights and lasers out-of-shape commandos are notorious for smirking at anything they feel beneith them, especially any variant of the AK family, despite the fact that in real combat they'd just be a slow moving large target.

The AR hobbies seem to breed snobs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#10]
You didn't "get punked."  

You acted like a responsible adult and chose not to escalate a stupid situation that has ZERO importance to you or anyone else that matters.  

Hell, next time say "Yes sir, my A-Team Mini-14 is at home today, though."
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

if your going to pay 1000.00 for a rifle that does not work when it's muddy and then put another 1000.00 into it and it still won't work then you have to be a snob  about it.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my AK`s as much as my AR`s and other evil rifles. Typically I don`t get looks from AR-only types.

But some of the 3 times a year hunting crowd, and 1 shot every 10 minutes crowd I get looks and/or complaints from.

1."All your doing is making noise".
2."No rapid fire".  I love this when there is no sign against it, or the handgunners do it and nothing is said to them.

I swear sometimes that these folks think that shooting is a chore and not a place for safe, controlled fun.

PS I forgot the other crowd I can`t stand, the every 2 shots I need to look at my target 100 yards away crowd.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if your going to pay 1000.00 for a rifle that does not work when it's muddy and then put another 1000.00 into it and it still won't work then you have to be a snob  about it.  

I know I was in that position at one time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#14]
At my range which is a public one I really never have gotten any bad looks, most people respect eachother. You have all kinds, the hunters, the "tactical" AR shooters and the surplus old guys. You don't see that many AK's around, I actually have seen the same amount of Arsenal Inc. AK's than stamped receiver AK's.
I have seen some stupid stuff at my range too though and some cool stuff. (for example the worst built kit ever that you wondered how the hell it worked and some high end rifles I wish I had the cash for)
I think you did the right thing, but I would have gone upto them and asked them what they were laughing at, tell them if actually know anything about AK's, and if they would like to shoot mine to actually learn something.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Simply ignore them. They aren't worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#16]
while i don't know how you acted,  probably what you were doing, your demeanor, and how you presented yourself was the cause more than the AK........no one would say that to me if I was shooting an AK
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Simply ignore them. They aren't worth the trouble.

+1.  I was at Hite Hollow with my bro last year and there was some neck shooting one round every 10 minutes.  After an hour or so he came over and asked us why we have those (AKs/ARs).  Said something to the effect of just expensive toys.  Then he proceeded to tell us about the AR15 and MAC 10 he converted to full auto and got rid of, since you "couldn't shoot a deer with it."  I was thinking to myself, please go away.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#18]
As for those punks....You did right....No reason for tempers to flare....My dick is bigger than yours...
Imagine trying to explane to the cops why you did'nt leave and why a gun battle resulted....
As for the attitudes......
I get some really hostile looks when I bring out my ---UnPC  AK's ...Especially from thoses bench rest shooters.
They really get UP-set when I fire more in 10 seconds than they do thier entire visit...
I am not next to them and I AM NOT breaking the range rules or being unsafe....
They fire one round and smoke and joke for the next 10 to 15min..I would offer them a mag to dump,but they might dump on me...I actually had one guy who wanted to see my mebership,,which I showed and then he proceeded to call the office about us....He got in his truck and left when they saw we had our memberships and were  following the rules....
Its not just him but that whole bench rest crowd....
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I have received dirty looks and muttered comments as well. However, I was at my range one day and as I started shooting my SAR-1 the RSO (a guy older than dirt) comes over and is standing behind me. He didn't say anything but just watched as I took about 10 shots slow-fire  then 10 shots rapid-fire. He was really starting to make me nervous (I'm thinking WTF am I doing that he is about to chastise me for). After I removed the magazine and flagged the chamber I put the gun down and turned around waiting for the jack-assary to start. INSTEAD, the old man just wanted to ask me about the ammo I was shooting (Silver Bear). Seems he had a few Semi-AKs and just wanted to get some feedback on the ammo. We then talked about hope for opening the NFA list again and the possibility of some legal, FA-AKs available in the future both agreeing that if it does happen it won't be in the near future. Shows you can't always judge an AK-nut by the wrinkles on their face!

ETA- RockoZ: You did the SMART thing. A shooting range is the last place you want to let false pride or temper get the better of you. That sort of crap may be the norm at the food court of your local mall but won't get you far in the real world.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Ever try shooting a black rifle in CA? That is the worst.... Last time I went to the range while home was in 1999... Took my then girlfriend, as she was from E.Europe and had never shot before..

Took out an M4 clone, and an M1A...All I got was evil looks, whispers of how those cant be legal (all were registered), etc... Only person that was friendly interested was a Vietnamese guy that was out shooting his .22.....
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe they are jelous! HA!  I had a guy here at the range give me some evil looks with my MaK-90.  I converted it to a pistol grip and have the required amount of US parts in it, but it really does not look that menecing.  He was bench shooting with his AR-15, all tricked out.  He put 16 out of 20 rounds on the steel gong at 100 yards off a bench.  I stood about a stall over and just shooting off hand about 1 rd a second, I put all but one round of a 30 rd magazine into the 100 yd gong.  Then he really gave me an evil look.  I think he was just pissed that my cheap $300 AK could outshoot his $1300 M4gery AR-15.  Or it could be he could not shoot worth a hoot.  HA.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

But some of the 3 times a year hunting crowd, and 1 shot every 10 minutes crowd I get looks and/or complaints from.

It simply takes them that long to find where the round actually went.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Every once in a while I've run into democrats at the range too.  Dumb aren't they?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Ok so i was with my pal at an outdoor shooting range, i dont have my own rifle at the moment but we were having a blast with his HAHA blast...get it?! anyway there were some guys who looked to be in their late 20's, i dont recall what kind of rifles they had brought, but it was so obvious that they were laughing, giggling, making fun and being dicks merely because we had an AK-47. So they were ignored for the rest of our visit but i beleive it was when they were leaving when they said something along the lines of "did you buy that because you think it makes you a badass?". Personally i really outgrew that kind of shit a long time ago, they were older than us so we just let them walk away. So yeah we pretty much got punked. Is this an occasional occurance or do these rifles get the respect i think they deserve. i absolutely love these things and i'm about a week or two from buying my own. so anyway, anyone got ideas on what i should say the next time some prick does the same thing?

thnx

That happens to me sometimes, AR guys and the M14 freaks. thet talk a bunch of crap, and then just when they unfold the bipods, get a good check weld on the scope.....I quietly put down the '74 and let loose with one of my Mosin M38s and make them shit themselves.........fire balls and thunder.......not to metion a 2"-3" group un supported at 100yds froma 60+yr old rifle tends to shut them up.......
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#25]
You should have unloaded a 30 round mag into asshole's volkswagen/volvo and then replied, "why yes, I feel this rifle does make me a bad ass.  Does driving that shitbox make you feel like a pussy?"

Just kidding.  

As others have said, you did the right thing by not escalating the situation.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I realy feel for you guys.About 98% of the people who shoot at the range I go to are the EBR crowd. The place is informal with NO range NAZI's. Ak's,  AR's, UZI's, full autos and belt feds are the norm.  You just got to love Ohio shooters
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I dont have IDIOTS laughing at me when I shoot anything, if they did I would just give them the EVIL LOOK. Who gives a crap what others think unless there your best buddies. LOL
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok.... They were judging the weapon, your age, and your technique.  Next time shoot, and TRAIN. If your playing it makes it look like your a punk. TRAIN and you will not get the gangbanger label.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Check with the office first then next time they say something just pay them no mind, and BUMPFIRE a magazine. "No, just having fun."
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I laugh back at the uber cool AR crowd if they make any comments about my AK. Simply because my 5.56 AK is worth around $5000, holds 1 MOA groups, and will run in any environment. I then shut them up by going back to the car to pull out any of my outfitted AR's or bolt guns. I hate range snobs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

thnx

"did you buy that because you think it makes you a badass?". ...........YES!!!!  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#32]
What range in WA were you shooting at?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#33]
DRAW DOWN ON EM!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
next time ask nope, demand they shoot it.  let them burn a 30 round mag.
one they will realize that shooting some guns are fun.  they don't hurt like deer rifles.
two you must be rich because they shot a box and a half of ammo $30.00?.  nope $4.00.

then just sit back and grin becuse you will have a converted someone to "fun guns".  

maybe its just me,but im sure not gonna give a buch of wise-asses my loaded weapon!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Best thing to do is out shoot them with your gun.....then out shoot them on thier gun! I am sorry, but I think my answer to thier question would have been. "No, I just like the gun, The ass whoopin I am about to give you in the parking lot is what makes me feel like a badass you -exploitive deleted-!"   Obviously they thought they were better than you on some level.....I am the guy thats a more action less talk individual!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#36]
When I go to my local MODC range I take my AK, AR 15, and maybe a 17 HMR, 17M2, or one of my tricked out 10/22 rifles.  I blast away with the AK and AR at 75 yards and always get onlookers.  I get more people that want to check out the AK than the AR 15.  I shoot my other rifles between mags to give the other shooters a break.  If no one else is there I just blast away.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I was at the range the other day and a guy next to me asked me whaere I got my Yugo Underfolder and how much I paid for it.  i told him, and he said that he was wanting to buy one and that I got mine really cheap.  Then this asshat AR-15 snob a couple of tables over starting talking really loudly about how his rifle was way better than a cheap commie peice of junk and that he had over $1800 dollars in it with all the choice accessories.  He then tried to fire off a 30rd mag which took him forever to do since his "superior" rifle jammed about every 3 or 4 rounds.  After he was done embarassing himself, I informed him that my "commie piece of crap" has never jammed once and neither has any of my other "cheapo commie guns" including a few Makarovs with over 1000 rounds through each, and the really cheapo Romainian Wasr10 that has over 2500 rounds through its pipe without cleaning.  He just ignored me and started to shoot his fully custom .45 that he couldn't hit a darn thing with.  Needless to say, the guy interested in my AK said that he would be buying one as soon as possible.  I'm not against AR-15s, hell, I own 2 of them, but none of my semi-autos are as reliable as my "cheapo commi junk guns".
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I had some clown rag on me for shooting my AK at a range once, he STFU when I began to outshoot him with my AKM compared to his SCOPED Mini-14. No disrespect to a Mini-14 because I know it was shooter error on his part but it was still funny.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#39]
The tiny range over here is rather friendly to both AKs and ARs.  Hell, the only thing that really got attention when I went was when I brought the CETME.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Just how stupid does someone have to be to piss off someone they already know is carrying a loaded gun?  I've never figured that out.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Just say it's always wise to know the weapons of your enemy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Answer:

Don't bury it in mud.

Goes for any rifle out there, AR or AK. Get it full of mud, and I can guarantee you and an AR and an AK will both fail, probably kaboom on you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:05:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Answer:

Don't bury it in mud.

Goes for any rifle out there, AR or AK. Get it full of mud, and I can guarantee you and an AR and an AK will both fail, probably kaboom on you.

There is a video online somewhere that this guy burries is AK-47 in mud and starts shooting it. Someone las link?
Another video where the guys pick up their AK's from under water, empty their barrels of water and start shooting them (that video was somewhat holywood style with the music and all, lol).
I wouldn't doit to my AK's but I know it can be done.

PS: Of course you aren't going to STUFF it with mud, just drop it in muddy wateter, step on it and shoot it!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#44]
i really dont have to deal with people like alot of you do on public ranges,although i do shoot at one from time to time,i do most of my shooting on my own property.the problem with alot of peoples ar-15 type weapons is that they do not know how to properly clean/care for them,where as the ak is much more forgiving.i own serveral of both,and love both types.my ar or ak weapons have never jammed ,but the ar's require a lot more (cleaning-wise) to run 100%.,sorry i know i got a little off topic.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Answer:

Don't bury it in mud.

read what i said.  not what you want to.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Damn, lotsa AR haters here
You guys wanna tell my AR that has 15K of Wolf with no cleanings, been thrown as far as I can throw it, been throw as high as I can throw it, been tossed into muddy water, been magdumped until the handguards melted off, that runs 100%, that it can't work when it's dirty or abused?

BOT, you'll find range snobs out there no matter what you shoot.  Although, I will admit, I've seen a lot more goofballs with 20X scopes on 16" AR's with lasers than I care to admit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#47]
There are alot of A-holes in this world. You should never laugh at another man holding a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
There are alot of A-holes in this world. You should never laugh at another man holding a rifle.

+1
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#49]
I have black rifle disease and its awesome.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top