Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/16/2006 1:05:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2006 1:08:29 PM EDT by 1981]
Hello All,

I have a little problem and I need some advice. I took out my new Arsenal SA M7 to the range the other day, and while at the range the barrel got a couple of scrathes on it. What would be the best thing to use that would match the color of the barrel the best ? A friend suggested that I just hit it with a little cold blue but I wanted to get some opinions from some real AK guys first.

Thanks for the help,

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:18:11 PM EDT
birchwood casey gun touch up pen - black
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:49:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:56:00 PM EDT
Was this meant to be posted in the AR15 forum?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:56:06 PM EDT
Don't worry about it as the paint sucks and it will start coming off worse than that. I shot my FSB with black Krylon a week ago after degreasing with 90% alcohol, the alcohol even started removing the paint. Cleaning solvents will remove the paint also but there is supposedly park underneath so just shoot it and when it gets worse, strip it and paint with gunkote or the like.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:42:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1981:
Hello All,

I have a little problem and I need some advice. I took out my new Arsenal SA M7 to the range the other day, and while at the range the barrel got a couple of scrathes on it. What would be the best thing to use that would match the color of the barrel the best ? A friend suggested that I just hit it with a little cold blue but I wanted to get some opinions from some real AK guys first.

Thanks for the help,

OK - Suck it up you Pansy , its an AK

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:25:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mak:
Don't worry about it as the paint sucks and it will start coming off worse than that. I shot my FSB with black Krylon a week ago after degreasing with 90% alcohol, the alcohol even started removing the paint. Cleaning solvents will remove the paint also but there is supposedly park underneath so just shoot it and when it gets worse, strip it and paint with gunkote or the like.

I have had that happen to my SLR-105, but not to my SA M-7.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:29:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By buckshot33:
I have had that happen to my SLR-105, but not to my SA M-7.

That's what I meant to say I have. The paint on it sucks. Same thing with the older Arsenal rifles like the SLR-95
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:43:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2006 4:59:04 PM EDT by stargazer111]
If and when you get ready to redo the entire rifle, check out Brownells' Aluma-Hyde II epoxy based paint. Takes about a week to dry good, no baking involved. Resists most gun solvents and even "deet" in the spray insecticides. I have worn my share of Krylon home from the range, believe me. This AHII is some good stuff, the Matte Black is similar to HK's finish on the HK91's. They even have a dark gray parkerized color of paint to match parkerized finishes.

Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II finish epoxy paint

The front part of this PSL was painted with AHII Matte Black whereas the gas tube is the standard WASR/SAR/PSL black phosphate finish.

In the mean time on yours if it has that black finish like the above gas tube, the Birchwood Casey touch up pen, about $6, mentioned earlier, would work wonders for small scratches on these finishes. I use one on my Wasr all the time.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:44:40 PM EDT
I just don't want to end up with rust on my AK!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:12:54 PM EDT
Do what i do.
Take it back to the range and scratch the rest of it up so you dont have to worry about the
first scratch. Throw it down in the dirt and rocks. Jump on it a bit to grind it in a little.
Shove some sticks down the barrel, but be sure to remove them before you shoot it.
Take the dust cover off and drop a handfull of dirt in it, then put the cover back on.
Bump fire it and get the barrel really hot, then piss down the barrel to cool it off.
Then bump another mag through it to dry it off.

Do this and you wont ever worry about scratching a gun again...

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:19:53 PM EDT
I had the same problem with my AK when I was straightening the front sight I scratched the barrel when it turned in the towel in the vise. After giving up on the towel and just useing the vice, heating the sight base with a torch several times and getting pretty Western with it, I finally got it but it looked as if a Beaver (with sharp teeth) had attacked the barrel. I hit it with a wire brush and put 500 rounds thru it, looks good and shoots great.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:44:22 AM EDT
Grill paint- the same as what they use!
Top Top