Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 10:58:09 AM EDT
Just got my Bulgy Plum furniture 74 build from my buddy...very cool addition!

Now, what sort of PG's did these use? It currently has a glossy dark reddish brown bakelite PG on it...it came with a standard black PG, but my buddy figured I'd like something a little different.

Did the plums always use plum PG's? I can order one of the K-var US Plums if I need to, which will be ok, as I can use the red-brown bakelite on my AKM clone....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#1]
if it's plum it's plum all around for the real deal
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The K-VAR Plum pistol grips match my sets fine.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Not sure if this rifle is original.  Found it on the net.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure if this rifle is original.  Found it on the net.

www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/6642s_pic00028-med.jpg

Yeah, thats how mine is set up....

But I think I'll order the K-var plum grip and switch....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#5]
On a related note, may I ask why the Bulgarians used 'plum' as a color for their stocks instead of some other 'tactical' color like OD/Brown/Tan?  It it the natural color of the plastic and they decided to save money by skipping the dye?

Thanks!
-Forest
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, I know that when the Sovs switched from the laminated wood to the filled polyamide furniture (because of problems with the wood in the harsh environment in Afghanistan) they started with plum. I assume since Bulgaria was in the Sov sphere of influence at the time, it passed to them eventually.

Tantals site has some great info on the furniture progression...the link is in the Big AK FAQ thread in the reference section....

I ordered the plum grip from K-var today....as well as their 4 brown Bulgy mags in pouch with strippers and adapter for $29...what a deal!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#7]
The AK74 pictured is 1985 production.  The very first plum stocked AK74's had pinned on barrel attachments, and the grips used vary.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
On a related note, may I ask why the Bulgarians used 'plum' as a color for their stocks instead of some other 'tactical' color like OD/Brown/Tan?  It it the natural color of the plastic and they decided to save money by skipping the dye?

IIRC the Soviets had difficulty getting the dye right for black plastic.  Plum was as dark as they could get & still have the proper "tough" properties.  
Black is rather hard to get right when you dye anodized aluminum also, "Bushmaster purple" for example.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The AK74 pictured is 1985 production.  The very first plum stocked AK74's had pinned on barrel attachments, and the grips used vary.

Ok, so I guess I COULD leave mine as is, and it would still be correct...

But since I ordered a plum PG, I'll switch to make it match....
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top