Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/5/2006 4:26:06 PM EDT
I'm torn between an AK in 7.62 or one in 5.45. While I would love to honor the ar15.com tradition and get both, I'm slightly short of funds. I'm definitely planning on acquiring a 7.62 varient at some point. But my question is why buy an AK in 5.45?

I know each weapon/round has it's merits. I just would like to know about a little more about the 5.45 round. All i've found from google searches is that the round supposedly has unique tumbling characteristics. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
they have an air pocket in the front of the bullet which makes it tumble upon impact....

Ammo is harder to find then 7.62 but is worth it IMHO as the rifle is just so damn cool.. I own 4
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Besides the tumbling characteristics, 5.45mm is more accurate than 7.62x39mm AK's.

Recoil is non-existant on my SLR-105A1R. Which is the only true option for buying an AK-74.

SLR-105's production is done, so better act quick if you want one. There will always be alot of 7.62x39mm AK's to choose from.

Mags are as cheap and plentiful as 7.62x39mm mags. Ammo is limited to either Barnaul or Wolf, both FMJ.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot both then decide.  

My bet is that you'll like the 5.45 better only after 1 or 2 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Very easy to shoot.  No recoil and accurate as hell out of an AK.  Bumps like a dream and at a high ROF.  Whats not to like...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:03:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
they have an air pocket in the front of the bullet which makes it tumble upon impact....

Ammo is harder to find then 7.62 but is worth it IMHO as the rifle is just so damn cool.. I own 4

I agree dude, something very sexy about 74 type rifles......much cooler than 7.62x39 as far as I'm concerned. Though I would like to get an AK-103 clone eventually.......
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#6]
7.62 is old school. The 5.45 is a better overall rifle platform IMO. Like one already stated, just shoot it and you will be sold. Especially your group size at longer range. My biggest pet peeve about the 47.  I Can't hit shit with it 200 + . But have no problem with the 74's. Better round and ballistics . Good luck WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Given that production of the SLR-105 has ceased, would it be a wise investment to pick one up even though other options in 5.45 exist such as the VEPR K? I saw one on the EE new in box for 750 and am thinkin about snatching it up...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:54:06 AM EDT
[#8]
5.45 is way more fun.   Like its been said, theres NO recoil, and its hits whatever you point it at.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#9]
If you will only have one AK, get the 7.62. The ammo is much easier to find and cheaper. I am not so sure that 5.45 will be available in the U.S. in ten years. Also, I went with 7.62 because I already had several ARs in 5.56. The 5.45 doesn't offer anything much different than the 5.56, but the 7.62 has its own attributes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:27:52 AM EDT
[#10]
5.45 is my favorite!!!! I love that little round and accurate as hell,  the demand just caught up to the supply in this country. There has been a HUGE increase for  the demand for 5.45, with all the kits that are now flooding the market, as well as the  Arsenal and VEPR rifles that shoot it...
I can get 5.45 right now easier and for less money than I can find 7.62.....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I can get 5.45 right now easier and for less money than I can find 7.62.....

True.  I found 2k rounds for my AKS-74 in a few minutes.  Im still looking for a decent supply of 762 for my Polish U/F thats on the way...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]
no problem finding 5.45 here either...

3 of my 4 AK74s..

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:11:52 AM EDT
[#13]
In current FMJ form, 5.45x39 offers superior terminal ballistics than both M855 and M193 5.56x45. It is a long, slender bullet which does have a very small air space in the nose which deforms causing the bullet to yaw very early and violently.Since the bullet is relatively long, when it rotates the two or three times end-over-end it drastically increases wounding capability. Testing has also shown that it can make almost 90 degree turns in some media, which could make an extremity hit a fatality. Upon its inception during the Afghanistan conflict, the Red Cross protested and challenged its legality. 5.45 ammo was able to be diverted for testing and lethality claims were substantiated and it deemed legal for use, though brutal. This was the beginning of the development of "humane" bullets by some European allies.Current generation 5.45x39 bullets are a semi-armor piercing design similar to SS109. The 5.45 bullets have a lead "knocker" which slams into the base of the penetrator core at impact furthring penetration. 5.45 is a more effective than M855 5.56 not only because of superior lethality but also because it isn't dependent on a velocity threshold to fragment.
In my anectdotal experience, 5.45x39 had proven to be more lethal and more effective than several types of 5.56 bullets against Coyotes. Over a few seasons, I objectively evaluated the effectiveness of 5.56x45 BH 68grn HP against surplus 7N6*of which I was able to secure around 3k rounds*. Several hunters were involved to get an accurate spread with multiple animals and shooters. Weapons were as follows, KAC SR15 with ACOG, RRA M4gery with EoTech, DPMS AP4 with iron sights, Vector V93 with HK scope and FN FNC. The 5.45 weapon was a SAR2 with correct compensator and PSOP4, appropriatly sighted for 5.45x39. The 5.56 HP bullets were most effective exibiting several one shot kills, a few of which were head shots. Some animals required multiple shots, though no animal was hit more than 5 times before dying.*they run fast*
While the wound track was impressive and fragmentation was near total for all rounds, even when singular rounds proved enough to by lethal, only head shots dropped em' dead. Body shots were very impressive and violent, but the animals weren't typically dead before they hit the dirt.
Performance of both rounds was nearly equal and extremely impressive. The 5.45x39

consistantly out performed both 5.56 rounds. There were no head shots as distance and inferior accuracy made this nearly impossible. The maximum number of 5.45 rounds fired at one animal was 2, as this one was running, sans hind leg. Torso/flank shots proved to be dramatic and decisive.Every aminal was literally dead before they hit the ground, and this is not an exaggeration. It appeard that 1 5.45 round created a larger wound channel than two 5.56 HP's.
One animal was hit directly at the base of the tail*while moving* and inexplicably dropped dead.
Upon further examination the bullet had penetrated and deflected into the torso literally obliterating nearly every internal organ before exiting out the bottom of the belly. On a normal sized yote, the wound pattern of the surpluse 5.45 bullet was nearly the same size as the torso cavity. While the 5.56 was certainly lethal and highly effective, overall damage and gore couldn't compare to the 5.45x39. The accuracy advantage made head shots possible with the 5.56

weapons which negates bullet design, but even when solid lethal hits were made they didnt have the dramatic effect of 5.45x39. I knew 5.45 would be effective, but I didn't know it would trump the 68grn HP which is a very effective 5.56 bullet. Some contend that 75 to 77grn bullets offer
superior lethality than 5.45 bullets. Comparing an expensive HP or open tip bullet to a surplus FMJ isn't exactly apples to apples....I have all this data I am still sifting through which I am going to prepare in a organized format with pictures that I will post for everyone when I get time. This is basically a summary, surplus 5.45 causes coyotes to detonate and instantly cease life function while 5.56 68grn HP could only equal the desicive termination with head shots. Look for my complete results to be posted as soon as I can. In any event, 5.45x39 is more effective than both M193 and M855 5.56x45 bullets and its lack of recoil, flat trajectory, accuracy and low cost make it an excellent caliber to own. The only limitation on this round is the typical weapon that fires it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:49:58 AM EDT
[#14]
A moment of silence please for the coyotes who lost their lives to make this test possible

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:37:07 AM EDT
[#15]

I remember a steel plate test awhile back on this forum which showed the 5.45 round doing more damage than the 7.62 to the hardened steel plate.  I remember it clearly because I was pretty surprised by the results.

I love my SAR-2.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I really like the way the 5.45x39 shoots, but then again, I love the 7.62x39.

5.45x39:

7.62x39:
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#18]
what????? you no like?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top