Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/4/2006 12:34:59 PM EDT
I have been looking around at various products for rust removal on some mags I have, and one that I have run across is the "rust conversion" paint.  There actually appear to be two types, one that is a polymer coating that competely encases any slight rust so no oxygen that can reach it, and one that seems to use a chemical process to blacken the rust (thogh it warns it can actually rust clean metal).

So has anyone used any of these products to reapint or undercoat a mag?  I have both some Yugo mags and some of the CFS "special deal" mags that have surface rust and some deeper pitted spot rust.  I have loosened up and removed any loose rust, but don't want to wire brush every last little spot of rust because honestly it will take weeks to do all 32 mags, and I just don't have that kind of time.

If no one has tried it, I might say "what the hell" and give it a try on a couple of the real beater CFS mags I have once it warms up outside.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#1]
use naval jelly, it'll suck that rust right off
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
use naval jelly, it'll suck that rust right off

TRH, thanks for the quick repsonse. I am aware that naval jelly will work. I even have some sitting here in the room with me.

But what I wanted to know is if the rust convesion stuff worked tooo, thus my posting. If so I can cut an entire step out of the process of mag work, and not have to use icky-don't-get-on-your-skin-cause-it-will-be-bad naval jelly.

So, back to the rogiinal question...has anyone tried the rust conversion stuff?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I've use WURTH    "rust guard"  at work ,  leaves a hard as nails finish.  Never used it on magazines,  I spray it on dump truck boxes after I sand blast them.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Had Klean Strip brand on the roof of my car since 7/02 with no problem. No paint over it, just a bit of wax, no rust since.

Sounds like a winner...where did you buy it?

Dawg
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]
the rust converter stuff does actually work, it will stop the exposed rust

i dont know if it will stand up to solvents and oil long term, however
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:21:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:17:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Had Klean Strip brand on the roof of my car since 7/02 with no problem. No paint over it, just a bit of wax, no rust since.

Sounds like a winner...where did you buy it?

Dawg

Autozone I think.

Whatever dented my roof had flown about 100yds back and left of the mg shoot's firing line, and cleared the semi-truck storage trailer I parked behind, with under 300 miles on the car. Wear is inevitable, so at least it was not some bs shopping cart ding

I am guessing that Tannerite was involved in this misfortune?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top