Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/3/2006 6:10:08 PM EDT
Hello,

I just picked up a no ban Arsenal SA M7 carbine. I will have to perm. attach a brake, and remove the bayo lug sometime in the future, and I was wondering how it should be done ? I had someone suggest that the brake could just be welded on by a person who can mig weld, and the lug could be grided off. Would this be the best way to get my weapon ban compliant, or does anyone have any other ideas ? Please let me know!

Thanks,

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
lug could be removed in about 2.2 seconds with an angle grinder(use a dremel just to be safe)
I would reccomend silver soldering the brake on as it wont cause any damage to the FSB.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]
silver soldering would be a kick ass way to go, but I think it don't count because you could reverse it at a low enough temp. and convert back to threaded....

I think that is why threads are lathe turned off or WELDED, sucks, but I think that's the rule, right?

or Red, did you mean w/hard solder and acetylene?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
1100 degree silver solder, I guess its closer to brazing than anything but it is what the ATF requires.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:31:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Back in the bad old days I used a flat hand file on the bayonet lugs (may God forgive me!).

You only need take off the "ears" on each side, making them flush with the main body of the lug, so that a bayo will not lock up. Hit the two thin shiny areas with anything black that will stick to steel.

That way, your rifle will still look kind of right, at least in profile.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#5]
It’s a crying shame to have to screw up a perfectly good rifle because you live in NY. There are so many ban stile weapons that are already set up to be used in NY. Why not sell your no ban rifle to some one in a free state and use the money to get a ban compliant rifle. It was bad enough when we had to let the BATF Bullshit make it to where we had to cut and welled on perfectly good weapons, but I can’t see why you would want to be the one doing it. There has already been too much of that in the name of political correctness for me to consider doing it some more. Please sell the weapon to someone who can leave it like it is and then find you a politically correct weapon to use where you are. I will give you what you paid for the rifle, if it will keep it from having to be neutered.  

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You only need take off the "ears" on each side, making them flush with the main body of the lug, so that a bayo will not lock up. Hit the two thin shiny areas with anything black that will stick to steel.

That way, your rifle will still look kind of right, at least in profile.

+1
This is how I did my SAR 2 during the ban, when I replaced the FSB with the correct threaded one.
At first glance, you don't even notice it is not functional.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Guys,

I know  and understand what you all are talking about as far as not cutting/griding up my gun. That being said, it is my gun, and I I'd rather just have a slant brake perm. attached and have  the bayo lug filed down then go threw the trouble of finding a new ban compliant Arsenal SA M7 carbine. I was planning to install a slant brake anyway, and I have no use for a bayo lug. I'm just making sure I don't go from being a retired leo to a felon. Its very sad but its the law in NY.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Even worse, I was told that I couldn't get a FULL CARRY pistol permit until a retire! I have a pistol permit for target shooting from before I was a cop, and the Weschester County pistol permits dept. wount amend my permit to a full carry untill I am no longer a Police Officer!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Weld the brake on ... Weld it to the FSB ... No damage to barrel that way ...

I did this to my SAR-1's during the ban period ... I just "Unbanned" them ... I replaced the gas block with one that had lugs and I replaced the FSB with a new one with detent pin and spring ... Bought a tap and die and threaded the barrel ...

I suggest that you don't alter or weld to the barrel ...

My SAR-2's still have the "cloned" brakes welded on ...

I just spot welded on two sides ... Easily ground off and no damage to barrel ..
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Any other ideas ? Does anyone know who could perm. attach a brake for me ?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Why not sell it and then buy a post-ban one... same gun, but you don't cut up and ruin a good gun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I would like to keep it. It doesn't pay to sell it and buy another one .
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]
".....wount amend my permit to a full carry untill I am no longer a Police Officer"

That's because as a full time LEO you don't need a permit to carry concealed anywhere in the USA, just your ID.  In Suffolk, your permit would have been cancelled as soon as you finished the academy.  As a full-time LEO in NY you're exempt from all restrictions, so your threaded muzzle with bayo lug are OK to own, unless your job has it's own restrictions.  sec 265 NYSPL, I think.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#14]
And at the same time , across the border , I own a SA M7 Carbine without evil features ,

and am trying  to figure out how best  to Unban it.

Life is way too full of Irony.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top