Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/3/2006 5:56:05 PM EDT
Any ideas?  Anybody accomplish this before?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#1]
thread it for 1/2x28, unless there's enough there to thread for 14x1lh
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]
But isn't the original "diameter" gone?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
An original 14x1 LH slantbrake just slides on and off, bbl seems too thin now for rethreading.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#4]
check the barrel diameter, you might be able to do 1/2x28 without much trouble
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
It's 15/32's, or a little over 7/16ths
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#6]
?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:19:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Make a 14mm diameter ring and thread it for 14x1 LH and bore the ID of the ring the same as the OD of the turned down barrel. Then silver solder in place. It's the only thing I can think of.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:55:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Do the 1/2x28 thread. I just did my WASR 10 and it turned out great. Global Trades have come up with quite a few suppressors and breaks with this type of thread.Madtechcool
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have access to a good machinist ,and a good selection of tooling you might consider having a double threaded adaptor made.
Find out what the actual diameter of the turned down nub is and thread the nub, then have a tightly sized "tube" threaded to match the now threaded nub on the I.D., and have the appropriate thread on the O.D. (Probably 14mm x 1 L.H.). Silver solder all of it together.
If everything is tight to start with, I can't see how this would shoot worse than the original nub, possibly better because of the added support.
And let's face it, we aren't talking Benchrest quality accuracy to start with.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys!  Global Trades, make a sleeve, 1/2x28, thanks for the options.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#11]
What about JB weld? Don't they advertise that it can be threaded after it cures?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What about JB weld? Don't they advertise that it can be threaded after it cures?

JB Weld will work with some things but put under stress, it lets go. I wouldn't trust it.Madtechcool
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Slip the slant break over it drill a slight hole and tac weld to the barrel or drill a small hole on the bottom of the break into the barrel and lock tight a set screw.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JB Weld will work with some things but put under stress, it lets go. I wouldn't trust it.Madtechcool

I've heard that it can used to repair an engine block. Is that claim more or less bunk?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard that it can used to repair an engine block. Is that claim more or less bunk?

If the area to be fixed is spotless, grease and oil free, and it needs a rough surface to adhere to. Cleanliness is the factor. Build it up in thin layers with plenty of hours to dry between layers. 3-5 layers built up should hold the pressure. Remember that word, cleanliness, plus that rough, porous surface to adhere to. Madtechcool
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Any ideas?  Anybody accomplish this before?

I'm willin' to bet that your muzzle will take the 1/2x28 thread. Once threaded, it looks small bit I'm sure that you can save that muzzle without riggin' sleeves and shims and whatnot. Don't spend that money if ya don't have to. My WASR 10 turned out slicker than snot on a stick shift. Try it, you'll like it.Madtechcool
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]
OOPs, sorry, double tap.   madtechcool
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top