Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/3/2006 10:12:58 AM EDT
I have some AK mags taht are *coated* in cosmoline. Is it possible (and safe for both the mags and the dishwasher) to diassemble them and run them through the dishwasher? I was then planning on hitting them with simple green to finish the job, and a later batch might even get repainted.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:14:26 AM EDT
brake cleaner..
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:22:39 AM EDT
You *can* but won't the Misses be mad?
Any gun finish will handel getting wet for a shot time, just remember to turn off the dry cycle and dry by hand with an oily rag.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:24:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 10:24:51 AM EDT by Jicky]
Your ole lady's gonna kill you...Break cleaner..
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:55:50 AM EDT
I ran my FAL mags with cosmo on them through a cycle with a load of dishes. Dishes and mags came out spotless. It works great and my wife did not mind. ( I do have a great wife)
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:05:20 AM EDT
It will work, but to get the cosmoline off mine, I disassemble and then stick them in a pot of hot water. Metal mags I use boiling water. You can add dish detergent like Dawn to help cut the grease. I then dump this outside, wipe the mags off with a rag and if they still need cleaning then the mags go into the dishwasher. I don't want large quantities of cosmoline in my sewer line.

I don't pour grease from cooking down the drains either, pour it in a container and wipe pan out with a paper towel before washing.

Grease clogged sewer lines aren't something I want to deal with.

I use to use brake cleaner until I got it in my eye.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:08:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:00:06 PM EDT
I just washed 2 new mags with a toothbrush and dish soap in the sink. Worked great, and no break cleaner smell.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:01:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:04:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BulletBait:
You *can* but won't the Misses be mad?
Any gun finish will handel getting wet for a shot time, just remember to turn off the dry cycle and dry by hand with an oily rag.

Well being I am not married and it is my place with my dishwasher, i don't really see that being much of a problem.

However, someone made the good point about cosmo then being inside a machine that also cleans my dishes....yum.

It will work, but to get the cosmoline off mine, I disassemble and then stick them in a pot of hot water. Metal mags I use boiling water. You can add dish detergent like Dawn to help cut the grease. I then dump this outside, wipe the mags off with a rag and if they still need cleaning then the mags go into the dishwasher. I don't want large quantities of cosmoline in my sewer line.

Good idea, I have some old pots I can use...
Top Top