Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/1/2006 1:51:02 PM EDT
Which do you guys prefer and why?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:03:44 PM EDT
For me, I prefer the SSR-85Cs. These variants sport the Global Trades 1.6mm receiver, at least the C-2s do. I'm not sure what the SARs are equipped with, (1mm perhaps?).

There's nothing wrong with the SAR-1s, mind you, but the SSR-85Cs are just a robust weapon with outstanding workmanship. The metal is pristine, the wood is flawless and they shoot all day long. (But so do the SAR-1s!) They're Bulgarian made which is a plus for me.

Downside is the cost. SAR-1s are less expensive and are quality weapons in their own right.

Just my opinion. Given my druthers, I'd slap the extra cash on the SSR-85C or C-2. Other members will have a different view.

Regards,

Bud
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:14:05 PM EDT
Reason I asked is I am seeing that the price on the two aren't that much different anymore, so I was wondering if the small amount of additional cash for the SSR is worth it. Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:32:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:17:33 PM EDT
SAR-1. Its a factory built rifle. All things considered, if my life was on the line and I had a SAR-1 and a kit build in front of me, both of which I had never fired..I dont care how nice or expensive the build is, I'm grabbing the SAR-1.

Better fit and finish is worth it to some, thats cool. For a plain AKM clone I'll take a SAR. Like I said, its factory built, almost exactly as the romanians make a real AIM. Same dies, etc. This is evidenced by the Y stamping for the auto sear hole. The differences between an AIM and a SAR are simply the third hole isnt drilled, the rail doesnt have a clearence cut for the sear, the barrel wasnt threaded, the bayo lugs were ground off, and it has a different stock. The last three can be fixed pretty easily, the first two obviously never can because of the NFA. Other then that its a real euro AKM. The only way to get closer is a Y stamped maadi.

And in case you think I just hate builds, my most expensive AK is a jnewt build on a global receiver. I did that because you cant buy a factory AKS-74, and having a 105 converted was too pricey. An underfolder would be another example, or a krink, etc.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:46:48 PM EDT
Well believe it or not the ssr-85c-2 is not an american build but a bugarian one.Its construction uses buagarian aks and akms that were demiled and reassembled with the1.6 mm receiver that is made there and production is done by former ak workers overseen by Kolev and russian steel is used to make the receivers. The rifles are then made compliant with the necessary american parts.Some of the early ones had their threadeded barrels ground down to be fitted on the 1.6s.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:30:14 PM EDT
If this is one of the Global rifles that is actually manufactured in Bulgaria and then imported and the US parts added and if it functions correctly then it would be a good deal if the price is not to far off than what you want to pay.

I recently sold a SAR-1 with threaded barrel and the detent pin installed for $350.00. I wouldn't pay more than $500.00 for the Global rifle if it is the import model. If it was built by Global here in the U.S. then I wouldn't pay more than $450.00. I don't trust the company for quality as much as I trust Arsenal of NV.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 7:54:20 PM EDT by clange]

Originally Posted By orthodoxwarrior:
Well believe it or not the ssr-85c-2 is not an american build but a bugarian one.Its construction uses buagarian aks and akms that were demiled and reassembled with the1.6 mm receiver that is made there and production is done by former ak workers overseen by Kolev and russian steel is used to make the receivers. The rifles are then made compliant with the necessary american parts.Some of the early ones had their threadeded barrels ground down to be fitted on the 1.6s.

I never understood how this whole bulgarian thing worked with global. They shipped dies over there I guess to make their 1.6mm receiver there, and have guns built from demilled parts..then how does it come into the US? If you take a bunch of US parts outside the country, and import them back in, they are imported parts. I would think a rifle is no different. If you put a US trigger in a gun in bulgaria and imort the rifle, isnt the trigger an imported part, regardless of place of manufacture?

Plus, if they make the reciever there do they have to cut out the mag well after its here? The ATF has said no receivers/rifles that use 'high capacity' magazines can be imported. Saigas, veprs, wasrs all come in and have to be modified before they can take a high cap mag.

Anyway, it probably doesnt apply to the topic at hand, I just never have understood what the deal was with the global 'bulgarian' rifles.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:45:20 PM EDT
Well, in my experience, Global rifles don't work. So I'll take the SAR-1 or WASR. Now if you just want a gun that looks good, and if it works or not doesn't matter to you, then get the Global for sure!! My Global AK's made great bolt-action guns!! I could have entered the Creedmoor single-shot competition with mine!! And that was AFTER a few trips back and forth to the factory!!
Top Top