Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/1/2006 10:47:00 AM EDT
Hey folks,

I've been reading a bit (here and on AK-47.net) about problems with Ohio Ordnance Receivers not being manufactured to the proper size/tolerance.

I wanted to ask, how many of you have rifles built on Ohio Ordnance receivers that have several thousand rounds down the barrel without problems ?

What about negative experiences with Ohio Ordnance receivers ?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:22:45 AM EDT
theres no mechanical problems with the recievers...its just that the holes were put in slightly off positions...so when you have the safety lever on, and in the SAFE position, it has a small gap between it and the reciever cover...no problem with this, no harm, no danger....several thousand rounds through my Vector and it was like brand spanking new. these are good recievers...some people are just really picky.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:25:15 AM EDT
The select lever hole has been fixed on ALL new production receivers. We have several full autos with OOW receivers and NO problems.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:28:23 AM EDT
They're fine. I have 3 and they're all good.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:29:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 11:35:11 AM EDT by JHaines]
I have a Bulgarian kit AK-74 built on an Ohio Ordnance receiver (not an ORF build) - It doesn't have the gap between the safety lever and the top cover, but it does have a rivet which is right up against the safety lever (looks like the rivet head even has a bit removed by the use of the safety.

Is this normal ? It doesn't seem to impede function in any way.

I haven't had a chance to take it out to the range yet, so I don't know.

Edit to Add - I'm not knocking the OOW receivers, I've just read about some issues people have had, so I a wanted to try and get several opinions. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:30:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 11:36:12 AM EDT by Jicky]
I've got a Bulgarian 74 built on an OOW with at least two thousand rounds through it with no problems at all..In fact it's my favorite rifle, I've got several friends with 5.45 OOW's built up and all function flawlessly with about the same amount of rounds through the pipe or more..The only two complaints I've heard of are them not being fully heat treated and the gap between the top cover and the safety, which is evidently a problem with the 7.62 receiver because the 5.45's fit nice..

ETA: I see by Inrange's post the gap thing is a none issue anymore..Mine was built about three years ago when I believe the 7.62 receivers still had the gap problem..They make great receivers from what I've seen as well...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:39:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JHaines:
I have a Bulgarian kit AK-74 built on an Ohio Ordnance receiver (not an ORF build) - It doesn't have the gap between the safety lever and the top cover, but it does have a rivet which is right up against the safety lever (looks like the rivet head even has a bit removed by the use of the safety.

Is this normal ? It doesn't seem to impede function in any way.

I haven't had a chance to take it out to the range yet, so I don't know.

Edit to Add - I'm not knocking the OOW receivers, I've just read about some issues people have had, so I a wanted to try and get several opinions. Thanks!

Yeah you can't lay a hair between my safety lever and the rivet your talking about..
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:58:24 PM EDT
Yeah, the gap between the safety selector and the receiver cover is no problem as far as Im concerned. Some people though can get really anal, not that I blame them, after all they are paying good money for something.

The biggest problem with an OOW receiver is if the rear trunnion is set too far back, this creates a gap between receiver and the cover, which can allow the cover to jar loose while shooting .

However, its easily fixed if you use that 5yr Warranty that comes with the rifle. Also, the people at Vector are nice enough and should have your rifle fixed relatively fast.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:07:50 PM EDT
I have a polish underfolder built on a 7.62 OOW receiver, no problems at all with the receiver after many rounds fired.

I have handled a rifle built on the current 7.62 OOW receiver and the gap is fixed.

My rifle is built on an older receiver but the gap is very slight. I have found that the E. German selector lever is a better fit to the top cover than the polish selector.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:46:54 PM EDT
I have multiple OOW receiver rifles. The early ones were a bitch for the builders, but thats what we pay all that money for . As far as the receivers themselves no complaints and my rifles are all used - no safe queens in this bunch except for maybe the tantal.

ALL OOW

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:27:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 4:28:59 AM EDT by mjghh40]
I have 3 AK74s built on OOW Receivers. The only issue I ever had was the first one I received had the wrong Ejector welded in. They had mistakenly used the 7.62 Ejectors on a batch causing big problems with cases getting jammed etc because the ejector was incorrect. I sent the entire rifle out to OOW and they made it right. Great customer service.......5K rounds thru that rifle now with no apparent wear, runs flawlessly!!!! Good decent receivers and a good company .
Highly recommend that receiver for its price and quality.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:17:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:16:31 AM EDT
I have a bulgy 74 built on a OOW. Looks great, but the ejector is deforming after only 100 rounds... Sound like the exception rather than the rule. I haven't yet contacted OOW about it.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:03:53 PM EDT
arashi they will make it right............................ call them.
Top Top