Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/1/2006 6:07:52 AM EDT
I may save up some "side money" over the next few months and buy an AK.  I don't want a high end one because of finances. I was looking at buying either a SAR-1 or a MAK 90. If I get the MAK I would convert it to a "normal" AK like some of ya'll are doing. I really don't want a WASR, but I have nothing against them. I just want one that is the way it was made.

What are the differences, if any and which would you choose and why?

I have a buddy with a MAK 90 and I may try to shoot it soon. I don't know anyone with a SAR-1, though.

Thanks in advance,

GR
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#1]
get the mak90, far better quality IMO coming from someone that has owned both.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:18:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
get the mak90, far better quality IMO coming from someone that has owned both.

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:48:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Everything I've heard about the MAK-90s is that they are nigh indestructible. They have a bit thicker receiver than the standard Romanian 1mm. I've got a Pre-ban Polytech and two Egyptian Maadis. While the Maadis are sturdy, you can just tell by looking that the Polytech is one tough mother. I would vote for a straight-cut MAK-90 and go to town with it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#4]
MAK 90 doesn't have the optic rail. SAR 1's have one. Stamped MAK 90's might have a straight or slant cut receiver also. Slant cut will limit your stock choices. All SAR 1's are straight cut receivers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I had 3 SAR-1's at one time or another.  I like them for what they cost (under $300.00 at one time) but you have to make sure the FSB and gasblock are not canted.  If you can get a like new one for $350.00 they are still a good deal.  

The MAK-90 has a blued finish I don't care for (on my Norinco that I have) and the thicker receiver means K-VAR stocks aren't going to be drop in fit.  But a nice Ironwooddesign stockset stock is fine and that would be the way to go if you get one.  

A Norinco Mak-90 is going to cost you more and the price of compliance parts and stockset are going to bump the price up about $120.00 (ironwooddesign set and U.S. FCG/ less if you go with mag baseplates and followers/stockset ($100.00) or mag parts and FCG ($50.00) if you get one that has not been changed out legally and you want to convert it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#6]
MAK-90!!!

Better parts, better finish, more accurate, and more reliable. You can easily convert a thumbhole MAK for <$100. G2 FCG for $29 and Kvar stock set for $69, problem solved.

I have $340 in this MAK including the sling.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine is a Norinco BWK-92 in .223...The stock is Chinese.  U.S. FCG, Piston, mag baseplates(the ones aren't great I have some more coming which I hope will work better), muzzlebrake I may change the pistol grip to a U.S. if I get around to it.  But come on, the finish is a crap blueing on these.  It rusts easy, scratches easy, is thin as hell.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mine is a Norinco BWK-92 in .223...The stock is Chinese.  U.S. FCG, Piston, mag baseplates(the ones aren't great I have some more coming which I hope will work better), muzzlebrake I may change the pistol grip to a U.S. if I get around to it.  But come on, the finish is a crap blueing on these.  It rusts easy, scratches easy, is thin as hell.  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/Wildweasel02/Picture025.jpg

I like the blued finish much better than the spray paint job on the Romys. It looks really nice with blonde wood.

I'll trade you a nice WASR for it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had 3 SAR-1's at one time or another.  I like them for what they cost (under $300.00 at one time) but you have to make sure the FSB and gasblock are not canted.  If you can get a like new one for $350.00 they are still a good deal.  

The MAK-90 has a blued finish I don't care for (on my Norinco that I have) and the thicker receiver means K-VAR stocks aren't going to be drop in fit.  But a nice Ironwooddesign stockset stock is fine and that would be the way to go if you get one.  

A Norinco Mak-90 is going to cost you more and the price of compliance parts and stockset are going to bump the price up about $120.00 (ironwooddesign set and U.S. FCG/ less if you go with mag baseplates and followers/stockset ($100.00) or mag parts and FCG ($50.00) if you get one that has not been changed out legally and you want to convert it.

Listen to this man. The MAK-90 is a fine rifle, but to get it converted takes a lot of cash and you STILL wont have a place for a cleaning rod, detent pin in the FSB for when you thread the muzzle, or an optics rail. I used to own a MAK-90 and after adding everything up, and realizing it still wouldnt have stuff I wanted, it just didnt make sense. I sold it for $420 and bought a SAR-1 for $325. Havent looked back since.

If you dont care about a properly threaded muzzle, cleaning rod, or optics rail, then converting a MAK may be a good way to go. If you want those things you get them, for a lot less money, in a SAR-1.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#10]
None of the SAR's I own or have owned had any paint on them.  More of a acid bath finish.  I have touched them up with a selenious oxide or selenium dioxide and the match is about perfect.  What are park solutions made of?  (manganese phosphate solution?) I don't know, but the Romanian guns aren't spray painted.  The Bulgarian and Polish guns are painted over parkerizing and the paint is crap on what I have owned.  

Parkerized isn't bad though if you paint over it with a quality durable paint.  

No, I will not trade you for a WASR  If you were local and had a nice SAR-3 with plenty of mags we could work something out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey MAK,

How hard are the 5.56 MAK mags to find these days? I would love to have a MAK in 5.56 if the mags aren't too difficult to locate or $60 a piece. There is a local shop with a 5.56 MAK for sale but they are asking $899.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#12]
My nhm (same as mak) is threaded and has an fsb detent just an fyi. It was a real pain to get the cheap Bulgarian stock set(74) I bought to fit but it only took a couple of hours and some patience. Don't overlook intertac maadi's either.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/hank_612/IMG_0179.jpg
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I paid $350.00 for mine probably 2-3 years ago.  The mags at that time were $20.00 for the 30 rd ones and then I bought some 15 rd ones for about $12.00 or so each.  Supposedly you can cut the follower down and these will hold 20 rds.  I haven't tried.  I picked up some of the same length at gunshows from $10.00 to $20.00 lately that are supposed to hold 20 rds.  I went to load them and they hold 5 rds.  I could cut the follower but will probably leave them as is for now.

30 rd mags come up on the EE for $30.00 to $35.00 occasionally.  Some Bulgarian 30rd .223 waffle mags will work without modification.  I would not pay more than $350.00 for one of these rifles.  Some guy found one for $85.00 at a gunshop auction and mentioned it on this site some months ago, he just sold it for around $275.00 if I remember correctly.  Without the wood on it.  ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=322735

Quoted:
Hey MAK,

How hard are the 5.56 MAK mags to find these days? I would love to have a MAK in 5.56 if the mags aren't too difficult to locate or $60 a piece. There is a local shop with a 5.56 MAK for sale but they are asking $899.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hey MAK,

Frigging idiots
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey MAK,

Frigging idiots

They also have a Polytech for $1999.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top