Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/1/2006 6:07:52 AM EDT
I may save up some "side money" over the next few months and buy an AK. I don't want a high end one because of finances. I was looking at buying either a SAR-1 or a MAK 90. If I get the MAK I would convert it to a "normal" AK like some of ya'll are doing. I really don't want a WASR, but I have nothing against them. I just want one that is the way it was made.

What are the differences, if any and which would you choose and why?

I have a buddy with a MAK 90 and I may try to shoot it soon. I don't know anyone with a SAR-1, though.

Thanks in advance,

GR
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:09:39 AM EDT
get the mak90, far better quality IMO coming from someone that has owned both.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:18:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shawn21:
get the mak90, far better quality IMO coming from someone that has owned both.

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:48:31 AM EDT
Everything I've heard about the MAK-90s is that they are nigh indestructible. They have a bit thicker receiver than the standard Romanian 1mm. I've got a Pre-ban Polytech and two Egyptian Maadis. While the Maadis are sturdy, you can just tell by looking that the Polytech is one tough mother. I would vote for a straight-cut MAK-90 and go to town with it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:49:15 AM EDT
MAK 90 doesn't have the optic rail. SAR 1's have one. Stamped MAK 90's might have a straight or slant cut receiver also. Slant cut will limit your stock choices. All SAR 1's are straight cut receivers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:05:57 AM EDT
I had 3 SAR-1's at one time or another. I like them for what they cost (under $300.00 at one time) but you have to make sure the FSB and gasblock are not canted. If you can get a like new one for $350.00 they are still a good deal.

The MAK-90 has a blued finish I don't care for (on my Norinco that I have) and the thicker receiver means K-VAR stocks aren't going to be drop in fit. But a nice Ironwooddesign stockset stock is fine and that would be the way to go if you get one.

A Norinco Mak-90 is going to cost you more and the price of compliance parts and stockset are going to bump the price up about $120.00 (ironwooddesign set and U.S. FCG/ less if you go with mag baseplates and followers/stockset ($100.00) or mag parts and FCG ($50.00) if you get one that has not been changed out legally and you want to convert it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:49:10 AM EDT
MAK-90!!!

Better parts, better finish, more accurate, and more reliable. You can easily convert a thumbhole MAK for <$100. G2 FCG for $29 and Kvar stock set for $69, problem solved.

I have $340 in this MAK including the sling.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:00:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 10:03:50 AM EDT by Mak]
Mine is a Norinco BWK-92 in .223...The stock is Chinese. U.S. FCG, Piston, mag baseplates(the ones aren't great I have some more coming which I hope will work better), muzzlebrake I may change the pistol grip to a U.S. if I get around to it. But come on, the finish is a crap blueing on these. It rusts easy, scratches easy, is thin as hell.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:21:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mak:
Mine is a Norinco BWK-92 in .223...The stock is Chinese. U.S. FCG, Piston, mag baseplates(the ones aren't great I have some more coming which I hope will work better), muzzlebrake I may change the pistol grip to a U.S. if I get around to it. But come on, the finish is a crap blueing on these. It rusts easy, scratches easy, is thin as hell.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/Wildweasel02/Picture025.jpg

I like the blued finish much better than the spray paint job on the Romys. It looks really nice with blonde wood.

I'll trade you a nice WASR for it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:33:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 10:39:08 AM EDT by clange]

I had 3 SAR-1's at one time or another. I like them for what they cost (under $300.00 at one time) but you have to make sure the FSB and gasblock are not canted. If you can get a like new one for $350.00 they are still a good deal.

The MAK-90 has a blued finish I don't care for (on my Norinco that I have) and the thicker receiver means K-VAR stocks aren't going to be drop in fit. But a nice Ironwooddesign stockset stock is fine and that would be the way to go if you get one.

A Norinco Mak-90 is going to cost you more and the price of compliance parts and stockset are going to bump the price up about $120.00 (ironwooddesign set and U.S. FCG/ less if you go with mag baseplates and followers/stockset ($100.00) or mag parts and FCG ($50.00) if you get one that has not been changed out legally and you want to convert it.

Listen to this man. The MAK-90 is a fine rifle, but to get it converted takes a lot of cash and you STILL wont have a place for a cleaning rod, detent pin in the FSB for when you thread the muzzle, or an optics rail. I used to own a MAK-90 and after adding everything up, and realizing it still wouldnt have stuff I wanted, it just didnt make sense. I sold it for $420 and bought a SAR-1 for $325. Havent looked back since.

If you dont care about a properly threaded muzzle, cleaning rod, or optics rail, then converting a MAK may be a good way to go. If you want those things you get them, for a lot less money, in a SAR-1.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:35:49 AM EDT
None of the SAR's I own or have owned had any paint on them. More of a acid bath finish. I have touched them up with a selenious oxide or selenium dioxide and the match is about perfect. What are park solutions made of? (manganese phosphate solution?) I don't know, but the Romanian guns aren't spray painted. The Bulgarian and Polish guns are painted over parkerizing and the paint is crap on what I have owned.

Parkerized isn't bad though if you paint over it with a quality durable paint.

No, I will not trade you for a WASR If you were local and had a nice SAR-3 with plenty of mags we could work something out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:49:20 AM EDT
Hey MAK,

How hard are the 5.56 MAK mags to find these days? I would love to have a MAK in 5.56 if the mags aren't too difficult to locate or $60 a piece. There is a local shop with a 5.56 MAK for sale but they are asking $899.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:02:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 11:03:43 AM EDT by hank_612]
My nhm (same as mak) is threaded and has an fsb detent just an fyi. It was a real pain to get the cheap Bulgarian stock set(74) I bought to fit but it only took a couple of hours and some patience. Don't overlook intertac maadi's either.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/hank_612/IMG_0179.jpg
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:06:26 AM EDT
I paid $350.00 for mine probably 2-3 years ago. The mags at that time were $20.00 for the 30 rd ones and then I bought some 15 rd ones for about $12.00 or so each. Supposedly you can cut the follower down and these will hold 20 rds. I haven't tried. I picked up some of the same length at gunshows from $10.00 to $20.00 lately that are supposed to hold 20 rds. I went to load them and they hold 5 rds. I could cut the follower but will probably leave them as is for now.

30 rd mags come up on the EE for $30.00 to $35.00 occasionally. Some Bulgarian 30rd .223 waffle mags will work without modification. I would not pay more than $350.00 for one of these rifles. Some guy found one for $85.00 at a gunshop auction and mentioned it on this site some months ago, he just sold it for around $275.00 if I remember correctly. Without the wood on it. ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=122&t=322735

Originally Posted By triburst1:
Hey MAK,

How hard are the 5.56 MAK mags to find these days? I would love to have a MAK in 5.56 if the mags aren't too difficult to locate or $60 a piece. There is a local shop with a 5.56 MAK for sale but they are asking $899.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:08:41 AM EDT

Hey MAK,

Frigging idiots
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:12:38 AM EDT

Hey MAK,

Frigging idiots

They also have a Polytech for $1999.
Top Top