Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/31/2006 12:28:58 AM EDT
I was wondering if any of you guys here have notched your safety lever for BHO use?  I have notched both my WASR10 and my new Yugo M70 and it works great!  At this moment I have all of my magazines confiigured BHO by JB Welding an empty case to the original followers but I have some Falcon Arms followers on the way to replace those.  I hate it when you hear that click on an empty chamber, now that does not happen.  I have a very short video that demonstrates the BHO feature.  Basically when the bolt holds open, with right thumb pull charging handle back and at the same time with right fingers pull up on safety lever to engage the notch with charging handle.  Yes it is manual to have the bolt stay back, but I do like the BHO mags and the hold back part is good for range "cold" times and to let the rifle cool down faster.

The pix below shows the empty cases JBed to the followers.  It will not come loose as I tested it with full recoil spring force (50) times on two different AK's.  Sand to bare metal on follower and case and JB them in place.  After 24 hours of drying time, bend the mouth of the case down some to allow bolt to ride back over the case.  Like I said earlier I plan to replace these with Falcon Arms followers.  The magazines need to have the two "bumps" removed from the top inside of the mags to allow the follower to come all the way to the top.  It will not come out and removing the bumps hurts nothing.  This is not a bastard modification, the YUGO factory notches their selectors on some of their AK's and the YUGO magazines ALL have the BHO followers in them.  Give it a try.http://home.comcast.net/~cetme/bhocase2.jpg

Notch for WASR's and SAR's

http://home.comcast.net/~cetme/sel1.jpg

Notch for YUGO M70

http://home.comcast.net/~cetme/selector1.jpg

home.comcast.net/~cetme/AKBHO.WMV

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:32:40 AM EDT
[#1]
what a neat idea!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:55:29 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:34:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup, I took this photo right after the AWB sunset.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:57:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Somebody makes those....I'm trying to find out who....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:01:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Blah please dont buy one for some over priced dremal job..

i've been seriously debating about doing this myself.. i would go ahead and try to use your mag idea but i dont think it would be pratical for reloading in a match.. *slow things down a bit.*

but i am probably going to go ahead and do it myself when next i deside to take off my optic.. *cant remove the selector with the optic on* mark it off and go little by little..

that and grand down the god forsaken nub on the century firing group.. i'm sick of trigger slap..

Jess
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:25:02 AM EDT
[#6]
DaBunny, find some one with a dremel tool to borrow or do it for you.  It only takes 5 minutes tops to do.

Glad to see others are using this too!  

Falcon Arms has followers that are chinese copies.  If asked they will not admit they are BHO followers as the "bumps" need to be removed from the top of the magazines or the "stops" on the followers cut out.  To me it is easier to dremel out the "bumps".  The followers look like very high quality, gloss blued and marked USA too!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:58:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Two places I know of sell those, the "Swift" safety from Red Star and Krebs also makes them Commercially. I make them my self in the shop as well. I can also eliminate the noise on them.
Safety can be operated with a single finger. I do not sell them but I can make them on request.

Missouri Custom Armament
www.mcarms.com
[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, someone explain to me how the selector works in this setup?

also what does using a dremel do as is mentioned above?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:32:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The selector has a notch carved in it to hold the charging handle. The welded case keeps the bolt from going forward, flip the lever up to grab the charging handle, remove mag, insert new mag, flip lever down to release bolt and strip first round.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:35:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The selector has a notch carved in it to hold the charging handle. The welded case keeps the bolt from going forward, flip the lever up to grab the charging handle, remove mag, insert new mag, flip lever down to release bolt and strip first round.

ahh damn, I see it now, thanks.

what if you have plastic followers though?  I would only attempt it on my 74.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#11]
ok....now i see how combining the bolt hold open and the modified safety lever can work well....

you think this would slow down the reloading process or...?

also, does the bolt hold open have any ill effects on your bolt head/carrier?  does it produce any shock or unneeded wear to it?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Good idea.... just not for me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#13]
sounds damn cool now that I saw the vid.

the worst you could do is ruin the selector, and buy another one.

Still don't know how I can weld an empty cartridge onto a plastic follower.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't try to JB Weld to the plastic Tapco followers, ASK ME HOW I KNOW!  I did this at first and on the second test catch the JB and case attempted to load.  JB just will not stick to those sort of plastic followers.  Order some from Falcon Arms for $3.50 each.  US marked so that takes care of that part and they look like very good quality.  You will still have to remove/dremel off the (2) "bumps" on either side of the top inside of the magazine or cut out the "stops" on the followers.  To me it is easier to grind the "bumps" down.  Getting the FA followers will allow a full mag to be loaded as the empty case deal you lose one round unless you trim off about 3/8" off the bottom of the follower.  

Not sure how it effects reloading time but I would rather be one round shy than to have the rifle pointed at a bad person and it goes, "click"!  And if you watch that Yugoslavian video you can see mag changes are not that fast and this was real war folks, not TV.

It doesn't hurt the selector at all to notch it and it is obviously Battle Proven or the Zastava Factory  in Yugoslava would not be doing it on theirs.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:04:47 AM EDT
[#15]
stargazer-

Can you post some closeup pics of the mods to the magazines when you get the Falcon Arms followers installed? Would like to see how it's done.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:20:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

the worst you could do is ruin the selector, and buy another one.

-mark

Or gouge the crap out of your bolt handle.

Isnt there a fair amount of pressure forward on it?

Not exactly like the bolt release on the AR15
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:49:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Could you repost the link to the Yugoslavian video ? Guess I missed it. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:08:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Redfisher, the spot the selector holds at is very close to the receiver where your finger or hand when charging never goes.  And I am sure the carrier steel is much harder than the selector steel so I don't see that happening.  And, like I said, this is not a bastard modification, the Zastava Arms plant notches theirs so that is a signal to me that it is OK.  

Falcon Arms followers should be in today or tomorrow and I will post a pix as to where to remove the "bumps".  It's just a cool mod that really works.  I bet we all have looked at our AK's and said to ourselves, "Sure wish that bolt held open", at one time or another.  if nothing else it helps cool it down quicker and we all run these suckers HOT.

Have you guys tried the spring loaded T6 bump stock?  It sure assists getting bumps going from the shoulder which means better accuracy while bumping.  If any are interested I know a place that has T6 stocks deleivered for $35.11!  It don't get no cheaper.  Your shipping may be slightly more or less.  I have ordered myself, from the same place, and installed a detachable vertical foregrip on my WASR10 to assist in the shoulder bumping, cost $15 plus shipping  I made the "detachable" part by JB Welding a small knob to a cut off piece of the Allen wrench and JBed that to the Allen head bolt that tightens up the grip on the rail.  When that sucker gets going, you got to hang on to her!  And I have the entire "bump stock " thread on (2) word docs I could send someone, one is 2 meg the other 1.5 meg due to pixs.  Or I can direct you to the forum and thread there, may have to register but hey we don't mind registering at another cool AK site, do we?

T6 bump stock thread

http://home.comcast.net/~M70AK3/foregrip.jpg

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:13:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:56:56 AM EDT
[#20]
i was curiuos about that and bought an extra safety, the hardest part i had was getting the bottom of the notch to look good / flat. i should go back and try again. but seriously, its easy. dont buy a part for it if you want it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#21]
You could just use the SWIFT one...

-C4-
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#23]
That is what is cool about the other video link I posted, not many "dead body" scenes in it.  I don't need to see that unless I am there and have no choice.  Most Yugo videos are nothing but "dead body" scenes, this one I posted to is NOT like that, shows more troops and their equipment.  There's a little propoganda(sp) to it, but it tells a story of what happened, one sides view anyhow.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yugoslavian video

Bump stock video, watch the stock compress

That's where all the old East German helmets went to.... I'm pretty sure all the Bosnians in this video are wearing EG helmets?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#25]
http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=202&zenid=06eb04767e15539ba48c137f5c04afc9

try this place
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Uhhh... I don't need to do that, I just need a BHO mag.

On my Polytech, if you pull the bolt back about a half inch behind where it would stop on a BHO mag- it sticks there. Take out old mag, insert new mag, slap left side of reciever and bolt slams shut.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok here are the Falcon Followers and the bump removal pixs.  1st pix shows the completed magazine ready for BHO.  2nd pix shows where to remove the bumps.  3rd pix shows follower and tall "squarish" back of the follower.  I am fixing to order (8) more so ALL of my mags will now be Falcon Arms Follower BHO ones.  I am not married to those JB Welded ones, they   just become extra's!  I hear that Black Jack followers are these with the top/sides cut out of them to accomplish the same result so the bumps do not have to be removed, but they are $10 a pop too!  There is no law that says you can not remove the bumps from the magazines, so why spend $6.50 more to do the same thing on each mag.  You can buy a dremel tool with the money you'll save doing it yourself and removing the bumps.http://home.comcast.net/~M70AK3/bho1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~M70AK3/bho2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~M70AK3/bho3.jpg
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top