Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/28/2006 6:49:21 AM EDT
I want a 223 AK...The veprs are no where to be found(VERK K w/ FH.)..So whats the next best thing?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The "best" 5.56x45 AK is the Arsenal SA M-5S, hard to find but worth every penny ... IBTGM (In before the Georgia Mafia) ...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Norinco but mags are hard to find and are not cheap anymore.  It's not the best but it only cost me $350.00 when I got it.  I had a chance to buy one of the wood stocked VPER's in .223 a year or two ago but passed when I saw an Arsenal SLR-105R and bought it instead.  Kind of regret it as it was a nice looking rifle even with the thumbhole type stock.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The "best" 5.56x45 AK is the Arsenal SA M-5S, hard to find but worth every penny ... IBTGM (In before the Georgia Mafia) ...

+1
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:07:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a neighbor with a thumbhole stocked Chinese 5.56mm that he's never shot.  Are they worth building on, and if so, what's a fair price?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a neighbor with a thumbhole stocked Chinese 5.56mm that he's never shot.  Are they worth building on, and if so, what's a fair price?

I got mine for $350.00 in the thumbhole stock configuration 2 years or so ago.  Put in US parts and get a Chinese stock and I was ready to go.  Offer him $300.00 unless he will take less.

5 US parts.  mags are running $30.00 each or so for Chinese 30rds. I picked up 15 rd mag back when they were cheap also.  Bulgarian .223 mags will work reliably unaltered 50/50.   I bought a bunch when I got them for $11.00 each, the ones that worked I kept, those that didn't I sold at a profit.  Would I buy one now?  Only if it had a number of mags with it.  I do find them at gun show at lower prices from time to time if the dealer doesn't know what kind of mag he actually has.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had and 84s and an SA-M5, I would have to give the edge to the SA-M5 not by much though. I now just bought a NHM .223 that still says 84s on it, and I can not wait to get it to the range.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
"The "best" 5.56x45 AK is the Arsenal SA M-5S"

Ditto.  These are FINE rifles.  If you consider one, be aware that they REQUIRE Bulgarian 223 Waffle mags - about $30 to $35 street price.  While KVAR recently had some of these?  They sold out in about 72 hours.  So - buy the mags FIRST....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I want a 223 AK...The veprs are no where to be found(VERK K w/ FH.)..So whats the next best thing?

one that has hi-caps in large quantities available................

none.

Arsenal is the only avenue I would dare suggest, until I find a way to go broke making some for the Saiga......

sigh
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Does Arsenal have a web site?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Do one of these...

Get a .223 Saiga and do the conversion yourself, or send it off to one of
the pros and have them transform it to a work of art.
Mags are not hard to find or make work. Recoil is less than my 5.45 gun with
that has a brake. Easy shooting and lots of fun.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Don't settle for second best, just hold out for the Vepr.

Quoted:

Damn you Apache!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#13]
May not be the best but I really like my Mak90 in .223:

So far I have 4-15 rounders, 14-30 rounders,  and 1-40 round mag.

Very expensive to get that many.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Arsenal SA-M5s

i sold my pimped out ar-15 to buy this,..and i couldent be happier with it,.i honestly hope to god you dont get a semi-clear mag like this one,.. because you will want more of them and they are hard to find and very pricey.

you can find the regular bulgy waffle mags in any color you want if you are willing to look.

very well balenced,..no kick,..and silky smooth action,..i wish i could afford a Arsenal in every caliber and configureation,..but so far i just have the one.

heres my SA-M5s with loaded up with some SS-109

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I like my SAR-3...though I want a SAM-5......

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Arsenal SA-M5s

i sold my pimped out ar-15 to buy this,..and i couldent be happier with it,.i honestly hope to god you dont get a semi-clear mag like this one,.. because you will want more of them and they are hard to find and very pricey.

you can find the regular bulgy waffle mags in any color you want if you are willing to look.

very well balenced,..no kick,..and silky smooth action,..i wish i could afford a Arsenal in every caliber and configureation,..but so far i just have the one.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/cruzie27/AK%20family/SAM5s233mag.jpg

bastard           I want that!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Arsenal SA-M5s

lol,...

seriously you will not be disappointed with a SA-M5s,..
this is my rifle,..there are many like it,..but this one is mine........................

speaking of things i want,...Accuracy Thru Volume,....if you ever want to part with those semi-clear bulgy waffles please keep me in mind. but i suspect that your answer would be very close to mine if i was asked to sell my magazines

edit to add: Dieter122,..nice pegboard set-up,....that a 5.45 mag i see up there?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Arsenal SA-M5s

lol,...

seriously you will not be disappointed with a SA-M5s,..
this is my rifle,..there are many like it,..but this one is mine........................

speaking of things i want,...Accuracy Thru Volume,....if you ever want to part with those semi-clear bulgy waffles please keep me in mind. but i suspect that your answer would be very close to mine if i was asked to sell my magazines

edit to add: Dieter122,..nice pegboard set-up,....that a 5.45 mag i see up there?

I really want a SAM-5, but theres so much other stuff on my to-buy list.... im hopefully getting my C&R license in March (when I turn 21), so I want to have some money on hand when that happens.  

Cheapest ive seen SAM-5s go for was like $650+.....  If I was to sell off my SAR-3, id get like $450 for it......  itd be an expensive upgrade.....      AHHHH        I want one!

EDIT: to Cruzie27

yea, I got about 200 5.45 AK mags on hand.....heres some, and my pegboard I put up in my room at home

not all my 5.45 mags are in the picture,...thats just some of them

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Does Arsenal have a web site?

here you go

enjoy

edit to add:

yea, I got about 200 5.45 AK mags on hand.....heres some, and my pegboard I put up in my room at home

img85.imageshack.us/img85/5861/slrwallsmal7nt.jpg
img85.imageshack.us/img85/2920/magb19xf.jpg

holy shit thats a magazine orgy if i ever saw one!

got enough G-3 barrel asemblies?

whats with the Alaskan flag?,...i only ask because i was stationed up there a few years ago.
wish i could go back up there,...that dividend check would go towards a new Arsenal every year.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#20]

img85.imageshack.us/img85/5861/slrwallsmal7nt.jpg
img85.imageshack.us/img85/2920/magb19xf.jpg

holy shit thats a magazine orgy if i ever saw one!

got enough G-3 barrel asemblies?

whats with the Alaskan flag?,...i only ask because i was stationed up there a few years ago.
wish i could go back up there,...that dividend check would go towards a new Arsenal every year.

G3 barrel assemblies were an investment...if you need some/want some let me know

Thats just some of my mags, the rest are in boxes for ...longer term storage. Ive got all different types and flavors of AK47 mags, 74 mags, .223 AK mags, FPK/Romak 3 mags, G3 mags...some of the items I have are Iraqi bringback items which is pretty neat.

I just picked up 30 more G3 mags today, I went in part on a purchase with a friend of mine on those Tapco G3 mags, $1 apiece...they were brand-spanking new mags too....  they are like crack, cant get enough.

Alaskan flag?  ohhh no, thats a European Union flag, got it while I lived over in Germany for a few months 2 years ago.

On a side note,...I really want a SAM-5....
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top