Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
awesome pic, makes me want to buy another Mauser

post some WWII k98 pics...keep that going now!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
ok heres my RC K98

heres a story, I shit you not...

I was at the range blasting away with my No1Mk3 Enfield and my Mauser...then I move over to the 100 yard range.  I realized I was shooting high because to my knowledge Mausers are zeroed in for 200 yards...so I started aiming low, and I was hitting my mark.  

My dad, trying to be the ball buster that he is, bet that I couldnt hit this Sunny D container I found downrange, he gave me just 5 rounds to hit the target at the 100 yards (using 1970s Romanian 8mm ammo).  The very first round I nailed the bottle square in the neck of it, I about died when I saw it fall from the target stand to the ground and I realized I put a hole through it...I won the $1 my dad had up for grabs....  I love my K98, its a rifle I wont ever sell, just like my Yugo SKS...theres just something about the two rifles.....

I also have a video of me nailing the sunny d container, as we had brought a vid cam with us, had it mounted on a tripod, and my dad was focusing in on the container when I hit it (zooming in), ...  it was posted here some time ago I believe actually.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:33:16 AM EDT
[#3]
No...you people, there is nothing to see with German 98k's. They are junk, stay away from them. Don't buy anymore.....

Cause I don't need people muscleing in on my territory. I have 21 98k's, none of them Russian Captures. All different year/code marked. Although I have 2 bnz 43's, but one is a regular Army issue, the other is an SS contract gun...so they aren't quite the same.

About 5 or 6 are completely matched, about 12 are matched but the bolt, no import mark type, and the rest are various Frankensteins....

I also have a G24t (the German produced in Brno VZ-24), a G 98-40 (A Hungarian design, based on a Mannlicher action) and a "transitional" G-98, which is a 1908 Danzig which has the WWII style rear sight...Oh, and my dummy MG's...a 34, a 42, and an MG-15....

I like German weapons, what can I say....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:38:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Boiled linseed oil! (BLO) I remember my Dad building a grandfather clock kit in the 70's and finishing the walnut with that. It's still beautiful today. Thanks for the tip. I'd forgotten that!

I've been using tung oil on my refinishing of my Romy AKM stock set. It's very easy to use! Just don't leave it anywhere cool and humid while drying or it'll fog and you'll have to sand and start over. I wipe on a thin coat with a bore patch. Any lint free cloth will work. Once all smooth and nice and no hairs of dust on it, I bring it inside and let sit for 24 hours. Buff lightly with wet 2000 grit and do it again and again. You'll see it gradually build up and seal the wood and eventually that last coat gives it a nice even gloss. That's where my Romy stock is now. We have sun today, so I'll try to remember to take a photo.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Out of all of the firearms I collect (including a Mosin sniper and several other Nagants), German K98s are by far my favorite. I love the history, the marking variations, I love the eagles stamped into the wood, and the fact that sometimes, you find some really cool stuff when you take them apart to clean them (like 'S' runes, or ink-stamped eagles under the buttplates).

I've got 5 K98's (1 all-matching vet bring back, the other 4 Russian Capture, including a 1945 dou with Kriegsmodell stock) - I've also got a K43 AC44 and a G43 DUV44.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#6]
wow, nice collection guys.

Dieter, that's an interesting story, I'd like to see the video.

And, JHaines, nice nice K43.

now back to the K98's.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

now back to the K98's.

+1

+1

+1

and +1.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks MauserMark - the one with the Durofol handguard is actually a G43 DUV44 which I purchased with a 'hunter stock', and then spent a lot of time and money finding an original stock, durofol handguard, front band spring, and buttplate for - to restore it to original condition. It cost a lot more than it would have if I had just bought a complete new G43, but I fealt like I was saving a piece of history.

The photo above shows it before the restoration was complete.

The one with the wood handguard is a K43 AC44 that was used by the French border guards after the war (you can tell by the 'R' stamp in the stock).

My apologies for the interruption....Now back to your regularly scheduled K98 discussion.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

now back to the K98's.

+1

+1

+1

and +1.

heres the video, this is the edited down version, the original cut was 105MBs and its not uploaded.  You can see the bottle take the hit, then I go downrange and retrieve it.  If the full vid was uploaded id link you to it, but its not (as you may think I edited so it looked legit).  Anycase, here is the edited video of the range outing.

CLICK HERE FOR THE No1Mk3 and K98 range trip video
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#10]
ah, Rammstein.  Excellent choice, sir.  

and thank you for not playing that song "Moskau" with those annoying russian tarts.  

nice shootin!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#11]
sweet vid.

a couple of the Houston crew guys including myself are going on a similar shoot in a few weeks, (milsurps only).  I'll take some vids.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ah, Rammstein.  Excellent choice, sir.  

and thank you for not playing that song "Moskau" with those annoying russian tarts.  

nice shootin!

haha, I didnt put the vid together, my dad did...I just end up with the final product uploaded so I can share it/them.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Mauser Sling ??...repro slings are at sarcoinc.com...

After seeing all these photos, I have to dust off my M-48
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Here is my beauty, can anybody tell me why there are numbers stamped on my barrel? I have never seen another MK98 like it, and the appear to be German proofs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's one of my Turkish 38's in action at an ARFcom shoot.  That's not me in the photo.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/so2315/f0a1cb9e.jpg

Here is my beauty, can anybody tell me why there are numbers stamped on my barrel? I have never seen another MK98 like it, and the appear to be German proofs.

the rifle was built in 41 at the Mauser plant at Oberndorf.  The #'s on the barrel are production codes for the sub contractor who made the barrel.  I don't have the info on the barel codes handy.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:53:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#21]
MauserMark:

Is this: www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=17239&title=44%2f40%7e+CREME what you used. Thanks

I'm looking at using this for a 12 guage O/U, that the barrels separated on.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
MauserMark:

Is this: www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=17239&title=44%2f40%7e+CREME what you used. Thanks

I'm looking at using this for a 12 guage O/U, that the barrels separated on.

yep that's it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top