Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/21/2006 6:33:12 PM EDT
I see that the new Yugo M70 rifles being offered by Century have a US-made barrel. My question is: Are these barrels chambered in .308 or .311. 7.62x39mm ammunition ir reall.311 instead of .308 while american 7.62x39mm is actually .308. while both of these rounds will work on an AK barrel shooting american 7.62x39 in a Commie barrel will degrade performance somewhat as the bullet diameter is smaller than the barrel diameter.

Anyway, long story short, .308 or .311? Anyone knows or is willing to measure?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:46:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone Know if we can just purchase a new barrel from them?

Who is making them?

I have a kit that would be perfect if I had a new barrel.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
No one seems to know the source, except that they are U.S. made. I am almost positive they do not offer the barrels separately, but if they did the things would sell like hotcakes to all the folks who have bougth Yugo AK kits with sewer pipe bores.

Irregardless if what is 'right' the Yugo builds by Century shoot quite accurately...the first 5 rounds that I fired from it were offhand at 25 yards with Wolf 122FMJ and I could have covered the entire group with a silver dollar.  That is about twice as tight as my typical group from an AR at the same range. The accuracy I had with mine seems to mirror what other people are saying.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Accuracy with my M70 is amazing and I am very impressed. Its the most accurate 7.62 AK I have ever owned. It out-shoots my Norinco Type 56 by about an inch or so. All of my accuracy results have been conducted with Golden Tiger, because thats all I have left right now. Silver dollar groups all day long with my Yugo.....I wish I knew more about them, though....Mine clearly has a chrome barrel, while others do not and I am pretty sure Century wouldn't know the exact chamber specs. I called to order a push pin assembly for my top cover because it popped off during some bump firing from the hip and it was a nightmare just to talk to someone who knew what I was talking about. You could try calling them and play the "transfer/voice mail" game and hope you talk to a knowledgible party....Although, Jennifer was very nice and helpful....so big ups to her.
All I can tell you for sure about mine, and other Century M70's I have seen is that they are awesome. For the first time in months, I don't wish I had a Vector under-folder.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The Yugo  barrels are made by a company called Shaw. They also make barrels for those el cheapo AR kits .
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Yugo  barrels are made by a company called Shaw. They also make barrels for those el cheapo AR kits .

Source for that info?  That is the first I have heard of anyone knowing where they were actually made.  

I don't doubt it (the barrels must not have cost a whole lot to rebarrel the kit and sell the rifle for $400) but just wanted to know where you heard that.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top