Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/20/2006 9:09:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 9:10:16 AM EDT by Dawg180]
I suspect the answer is 'NO' but I have a Romy kit that I want to parkerize to turn it into a nice E German AKM clone. The kit already has quite a bit of finish wear, so no loss.

And how hard/dangerous is it to parkerize a rifle kit like this? I have anodized in my garage, so hopefully it isn't anymore nasty than that (neighbors wondered why I was wearing a chemeical suit! )
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:58:40 AM EDT
I thought this was what ORF did and called it "Blark"?
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:14:24 PM EDT
Just a park job is DDR standard.

Not a finish expert, but dont bluing and park actually react/cause a reaction in the metal? If so, doesnt seem to make any sense to do both.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:18:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stottman:
Just a park job is DDR standard.

Not a finish expert, but dont bluing and park actually react/cause a reaction in the metal? If so, doesnt seem to make any sense to do both.

both are types of rusting, but controlled rusting. Blueing is much "finer" tahn park, so I was wondering if parking would work...just increasing the "grain" size so to speak...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:23:22 PM EDT

DDR AKMs are parked, as you can see.. All the new spare parts that you will find will be a primer grey color....

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:03:08 PM EDT
Thanks Stottman, your knowledge of E German militaria and weapons is both expansive and impressive! I have been working very hard to become knoledgeable on the topic. myself. I gather you are a member over at the DDR militaria boards on Gunboards? I tried to sign up there but have login problmes and could never get a response from the administrator.

Hmm...well being that I will be using a donor blued Romanian rifle, I might find a coating that will look similar, such as "Colt Gray" Gunkote or a similar product.

Parkerizing seems to invloe some very vicious chemicals that I do nt have a good method to dispose of, adn i don't feel like paying to have it done. besides, a good coating over blueing ought ot protect the metal pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:24:28 PM EDT
My old gunsmith buddy (God rest his soul) used to blue over
fresh pakerizing. It was a real attractive matt black.

IHC
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:47:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dawg180:
Thanks Stottman, your knowledge of E German militaria and weapons is both expansive and impressive! I have been working very hard to become knoledgeable on the topic. myself. I gather you are a member over at the DDR militaria boards on Gunboards? I tried to sign up there but have login problmes and could never get a response from the administrator.

No have just read allot, and fondled allot of them...Nothing special.
Top Top