Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/19/2006 1:33:10 PM EDT
I have read some replies suggesting that the barrels on Century Yugo underfolders aren't chrome lined. I checked the barrel on my Century Yugo and the barrel is most certainly chrome. Its extremely bright and looks identical to my other guns with chrome barrels. The serial number of my gun is very  low....like less than 20. If these don't have chrome barrels, where are the real Yugo barrels going? If these aren't Yugo barrels, what are they? It appears that kits offered by Centerfire systems have chrome barrels, so why wouldn't the kits used by Century have chrome barrels? My barrel is most certainly chrome and if I can capture this on my camera, I will post pictures. I guess I am just curious to hear why people are saying they don't have chrome barrels?
Anyone know the real story?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Original Yugoslavian barrels are not chromium lined, this is fact. If you got a nice shiny barrel, its because Century is installing new US made barrels on the kits to sell as complete weapons.

There are PLENTY of Yugo kits out there with sewer pipe bores - which wouldnt happen if the bore was chromed. Also, while other countries lined their SKS barrels, Yugoslavia did not.

ETA: The new US made barrels being used might be chrome lined. I have not handled one myself to verify this.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have read some replies suggesting that the barrels on Century Yugo underfolders aren't chrome lined. I checked the barrel on my Century Yugo and the barrel is most certainly chrome. Its extremely bright and looks identical to my other guns with chrome barrels. The serial number of my gun is very  low....like less than 20. If these don't have chrome barrels, where are the real Yugo barrels going? If these aren't Yugo barrels, what are they? It appears that kits offered by Centerfire systems have chrome barrels, so why wouldn't the kits used by Century have chrome barrels? My barrel is most certainly chrome and if I can capture this on my camera, I will post pictures. I guess I am just curious to hear why people are saying they don't have chrome barrels?
Anyone know the real story?

Yugo rifles were not chromed it has been stated, I don't have one.  That is why everyone complained when CenterfireSystems advertised Excellent kits but delivered kits with barrels corroded to the point that they called them sewer pipes.  Rifles with like new/cherry picked barrels are supposedly being used by some manufacturers to build the rifles dealers are selling.

Don't know what Century used.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Ryno,

If yours has chrome that is certinaly an oddity...please post pics!

My Century Yugo rifle (serial in the 500 range) most certainly does not have a chrome liined barrel, nor does any other one I have seen, and I have handled 3 or 4.  Also, they specifically list them as being U.S. made non-chrome lined barrels. Does it have the chrome ring around the chamber and at the muzzle when the brake is removed?  Pics man, pics!  If it is indeed chrome lined, best guess is maybe they tried a short run of chrome lined barrels but decided they were too expensive and went to non-chrome lined after the first few rifles.

I have not handled the kits from Centerfire, but as a fact the Yugo guns were not chrome lined, adn in fact most of them that came into the country have dark bores becuase of this.  I would seriously doubt that any of the ones Centerfire has are chrome lined.  if they were, they would be charging a shit ton more for those as the bores would be in much better condition.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Post a pic of the chamber end please.

Know that all barrels in good condition are bright and shiney. It should be shiney grey metal if it's chrome.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I will try and post pictures ASAP. I took pictures of the chamber and the barrel after I removed the FH. Its 100% chrome lined, there is no doubt about it. It looks identical to other AK's which I know to be chrome lined.
The chamber looks just like this www.aa-ok.com/2065d.jpg
The chamber/barrel looks identical to other AK's I own which I know to have chrome barrels, such as my Norinco 56.
The serial number on my gun is between 0 and 10, but closer to 0. This immensely confused/suprised the lady at Century when I had to order a cleaning rod. This gun came from SOG and went to my FFL locally. Chrome or not, doesn't really matter to me. I shoot only good quality non-corrosive ammo and clean my AK's as regularly as I clean my defensive handguns and carbines.  I was just confused when I read posts suggesting that these guns don't come with chrome barrels, when mine clearly did....I will try and post pictures as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]
sounds like a prototype to me!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#9]
No Yugo SKS or AK barrel, of any kind, ever, was chrome lined. NEVER. Yugoslavia had no chromium deposits, and had bad relations with Russia and other countries with deposits. My friends SKS has a shiney, chrome looking barrel, but it is not chrome lined. Looks can be decieving.

If your barrel IS chrome lined, it could either be a Romy or Polish or other barrel retrofitted to the Yugo kit so the barrel wouldn't suck, or it could be a US made barrel that was added in because of the barrel ban or because Yugo barreles usually suck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I was unaware that Yugoslavia didn't chrome thier barrels. My experience with Yugo AK's is very limited...I mean limited to the AK I just bought. The barrel is clearly chrome, its not left white and I am not mistaken. Its got a chrome barrel....why, is anyones guess. Im not arguing that its a chrome Yugo barrel as apparently, there isn't such a beast. Its more than likely a Polish, Romainian or Bulgarian barrel...it could even be a chrome lined American production? No clue, all I know is that it is a chrome barrel. The serial number is extremely low, so my guess is that they could have assembled these early guns with chrome barrels they had "laying" around from Poland or something and switched to domestic tubes when these were exhausted. Chrome or not, I could care less....this is essentially a toy for me and I maintain my weapons well enough where chrome is of little necessity and value for me. I was only curious as what I know to be true about my weapon conflicted with what people were saying about thiers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I was unaware that Yugoslavia didn't chrome thier barrels. My experience with Yugo AK's is very limited...I mean limited to the AK I just bought. The barrel is clearly chrome, its not left white and I am not mistaken. Its got a chrome barrel....why, is anyones guess. Im not arguing that its a chrome Yugo barrel as apparently, there isn't such a beast. Its more than likely a Polish, Romainian or Bulgarian barrel...it could even be a chrome lined American production? No clue, all I know is that it is a chrome barrel. The serial number is extremely low, so my guess is that they could have assembled these early guns with chrome barrels they had "laying" around from Poland or something and switched to domestic tubes when these were exhausted. Chrome or not, I could care less....this is essentially a toy for me and I maintain my weapons well enough where chrome is of little necessity and value for me. I was only curious as what I know to be true about my weapon conflicted with what people were saying about thiers.

The Century Yugos had their barrels replaced with U.S. made ones.  So a U.S. made chrome lined barrel is probably the best answer if it is chrome lined.  

Pics?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top