Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/19/2006 1:20:02 AM EDT
See, I have a Polish AK74 underfolder kit that I'd like to build up on my Global Trades receiver. But, I already have a pretty bitchin' Norinco 86S underfolder in .223. As much as I love underfolders, I feel that a little variety would be just the spice my life needs, so I maybe want to put  a sidefolder on my 74.

So, then what are my options?
Tapco's "Galil-style"?
ACE?
Uh. I remember seeing in a back issue of Shotgun News a long while ago those triangle-shaped paratrooper stocks. Any sources on these?

ACE's web page doesn't really say how one goes about installing their stocks. Clicking around shows that they sell a receiver block ("cut the dang tang!" ACE's web page helpfully informs us. Real useful info, guys), a skeleton stock (that being said, I sort of have an affinity for their "Boom Tube" SMG stock) but no hinges or anything.

So, AK board, hit me with your knowledge. Should I build my 74 as an underfolder or a sidefolder and save the underfolding stock for a future project?
How do I install the ACE stocks?
Are the Tapco stocks really not worth the plastic they're pooed out of?
Where can I get those rad para stocks and do I need to modify my receiver?

Keep in mind that I still have a bare, uncut, undrilled receiver.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:35:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had the tapco and I could not get rid of it fast enough or kick myself in the ass hard enough for purchasing it.

Horrible junk.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#2]
yep.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:48:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I actually don't think they're that bad.  I had a WASR that came with one on it, put man a thousand rounds through it, no problems.  I sold off the WASR for an upgrade a while ago, Tapco folder went with it.

After using one, I would honestly have to say they aren't  that bad.  They do feel cheap and flimsy, but mine stood up to some good use.

I think the "I hate Tapco" thing is mostly bandwagonism.

Same thing with the Tapco "SAW" grip, I think they are actually quite comfortable, and I like the fact that a .30cal Boresnake fits in the el cheapo starge compartment.

That being said, I would never pay for one, but if I got another rifle that came with one, I'd probably keep it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:23:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

no, it's true.  they suck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:24:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Clicking around shows that they sell a receiver block ("cut the dang tang!" ACE's web page helpfully informs us. Real useful info, guys), a skeleton stock, but no hinges or anything.

If you'd have kept looking (on the page tabbed "Receiver Adapters"), you would've found this:
www.riflestocks.com/adapters.htm

So, AK board, hit me with your knowledge. Should I build my 74 as an underfolder or a sidefolder and save the underfolding stock for a future project?

Given that the underfolder isn't correct for the -74, I'd say save it.

How do I install the ACE stocks?

They come with good instructions. The standard receiver block is a "drop-in" fit, like the TAPCO stock. The "cut the tang" receiver block requires some 'smithing since the rear tang needs to be removed and the back edges of the receiver made square. Then the hinge assy. mounts to the receiver block, and the stock mounts to the hinge.

Are the Tapco stocks really not worth the plastic they're pooed out of?

Pooed out of? Interesting choice of words.  They're not the best out there, by a long shot, but they're inexpensive and easy to install. Personally, I think they're too long (I'm not a fan of the "NATO length" stocks on AKs) and I can see the plastic hinge mechanism becoming loose or worn over time. Plus there is still some flex at the hinge when the stock is deployed, but I've seen metal folders that have play in 'em, too...

Good luck!

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no, it's true.  they suck.

Yes it's absolutely true, the Tapco side folder does indeed suck.  And that is not "bandwagonism" speaking either.  I have personally held one of their plastic side folders in my hands and I was very, very disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#7]
had one, sold it for 10 bucks.  i put it on right after the ban went away so if somthing bad happend it would have been in that config until i could get a better stock.   it held up well on the sar 2. it just wasnt my thing. i was happy with the way it folded though im a lefty and the sar 2 had a uptruned carrier so it would run fine with it closed.

Ronald
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want some spice, go with the hungarian side-folder from the AMD65. They lock up tight open or folded, and there's no other folding stock out there like them. simple to install, but requires some trimming on your receiver, but nothing drastic like the underfolder. The ACE side-folders are real nice, I've got one, but real expensive. the stock, hinge, cut the tang block, will run over $160. The AMD65 stock, complete, can be had for $40-$50. I know of 1 for sale for $40
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a Tapco stock and my main problem was that it was too damn long. I ended up putting a Warsaw length polymer stock on my rifle. Of all the different folding designs for AKs, only a couple are good designs, IMO. The Galil stock and the ACE copy are good, the triangle folders are pretty good, and the folders that look like a fixed stock, such as the Saiga 12 stock, are the best.

Under folder-looks cool, but sucks
Romy side folder-just plain sucks
AMD side folder-REALLY sucks
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine broke off after 3 mags. P.O.S.!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Ever get smacked in the face with some heavy reinforced plastic? Thats what the cheek weld is like with the Tapco side-folder. Not only that but they flex and dont give a consistant shouldering and cheekweld because of it.

It's meant as a cheap way to get a folder stock on your gun. If you've got a nice 74 kit, do it some justice and put on a 74 triangle side-folder.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Thoise Tapco plastic folders are up to about $50 these days...might as well spend another $10-15 and just get a Romy or E German metal sidefolder...it will last a lot longer and look more authetic to boot!

[eta]  FGSKY.com has the Romy metal sidefolders for $50 plus shipping.  Also note that the Romy or E German sidefolders essentiall just bolt on after removing the fixed stock...if you can use a screwdriver you can probably install one without trouble.

Dawg
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a couple cheap right after they came out, but I must admit that I haven't ever installed/used them.

After reading this thread, I'm not sure I ever will...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#15]
a tapco folder turned me into a newt!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#16]
So then where can I get one of these triangle para-style sidefolders and how much should I be expecting to spend?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Tapco folders/collapsibles - NO WAY... J. U. N. K.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I hate their folders.

A few weeks back I called Tapco looking for a G2 trigger sleeve. You know, it's the little metal sleeve that holds the trigger parts together if you pull the trigger in out. The lady said sure, they're eight bucks, and she wanted to charge me eight more shipping. I said, Can't you just drop it in an envelope and mail for $.75? She acted offended and said she could drop the shipping to five dollars. No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So then where can I get one of these triangle para-style sidefolders and how much should I be expecting to spend?

look on gunbroker,....i know ruseller can get them but be prepared for a wait if they are not in the U.S. already,...

or you could luck out and find one at K-VAR or in the EE.

the stock+ hardware should be anywhere between $$100.00-200.00 bucks,...not cheap in any way,....but if you have a nice AK-74 kit,.. it deserves no less

also there is a AK-100 series poly folding stock that is only slightly diffrent as far as hardware is concerned.

good luck hope everything works out for you.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top