Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/15/2006 5:39:16 PM EDT
I carried a Makarov pistol like this in Afghanistan and was wondering where would be a good place to buy one??

Thanks
 FREE
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag,I'm on the lookout myself!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen them at every gunshow I've ever been to.  That's where I got mine.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea I want another, too bad I couldnt bring it home.

I left it with a 10th Mountain SQD LDR, hopefully he never had to use it.

FREE

Quoted:
Tag,I'm on the lookout myself!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
How much does one like in the pic go for??

I dont want a new one, just slightly used.

FREE

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Polish P64 and love it but I'd still like to have a Makarov.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]
The Bulgarians used to be a dime a dozen, but theyve slowly started to dry up.

I think I paid $139 for my unissued specimen awhile back - theyre up near $200 now I think.

I hope they import some more, I want another!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking to pick up a second one, but the supply has dried up..  I bought mine on gunbroker for $105!  like new - I was really happy
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I found one here

70.84.217.219/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi/agora.cgi?cart_id=6642605.4183*T222y3&product=Handguns&cart_id=6642605.4183*Ig3CS5

Isnt this a little pricy for a Makarov???

FREE

I don't think it's out of line for a Russian military model..   makarov.com has some usually, but they're pricey.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:26:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Check with KY imports different grades with prices from about the 139 to 169 price range if  i remember correctly. I have many; and these are circle tens i believe well good luck they are drying up that is for sure! i just can not bring myself to sell any people hound me night and day for those guns!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Russian military PMs (Pistole Makarova) are classified as Curio and Relics.  What Akron does not tell you is the pistols he sells are NOT recognized by the ATF as Curio and Relics and are stamped BULGARIA.  To the Makarov collector, these are known as "sneak" Makarovs.  They came into this country with a ton of Bulgarian Maks and got through customs.  They are in fact Russian pistols, except to the ATF which still refuses to recognize them as Russian made.  Akron Armory stepped all over his noodle when he tried to pass them off on the Mak forum at gunboards a year or so back.

Also, the Russians never serialized their mags.  This is just an importer's (PW Arms in this case) ploy to appease out desire for all matching numbers.

The supply Of Bulgarian Maks does appear to be drying up somewhat.  But who knows what's down the road.  Quality wise, they are the lowest of the Makarovs and are very often fraught with feeding problems.  Personally, I suspect the Bulgarians will continue to crank them out as "Military Surplus from the 70's" as long as we will buy them.  8 years ago, no one even knew Bulgaria made Makarovs for military/police use!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quality wise, they are the lowest of the Makarovs and are very often fraught with feeding problems.  

Ive never experienced a Mak FTF, ever.

Also, the lowest? I dont think so. The Chinese are the lowest in quality.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How much does one like in the pic go for??

I dont want a new one, just slightly used.

FREE

Quoted:

I've seen them from $140-200, depending on condition.  Mine was NIB for $180.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Personally, I suspect the Bulgarians will continue to crank them out as "Military Surplus from the 70's" as long as we will buy them.  8 years ago, no one even knew Bulgaria made Makarovs for military/police use!

Why wouldnt they? Almost every other nation in the Warsaw pact made their own pistols. Why not the Bulgarians?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quality wise, they are the lowest of the Makarovs and are very often fraught with feeding problems.  

I've heard this before too, but I've fired around 800 to 1000 rds through my Bulgy and never had any problem.  People tout the E. Germans, but everyone I've seen on makarov.com looks like crap, and they want $350 for them.  Mine looks new.  Anyway, I know a lot of people with a lot of Bulgy Maks, and I've never heard of any of them having feeding issues.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The supply Of Bulgarian Maks does appear to be drying up somewhat.  But who knows what's down the road.  Quality wise, they are the lowest of the Makarovs and are very often fraught with feeding problems.  Personally, I suspect the Bulgarians will continue to crank them out as "Military Surplus from the 70's" as long as we will buy them.  8 years ago, no one even knew Bulgaria made Makarovs for military/police use!

Do you own any?  

I had 9 Makarovs, probably 6 Bulgarian's and 3 of the Russian commercial ones in the .380 caliber.  I have never had a FTF with any ammo that I have used.  Even the heavier Silver Bear HP 9x18 rounds that so many people said they had problems with.  These pistols are my favorites, the only reason I sold 4 of the Bulgarian Makarovs is that I couldn't see having so many of them.  I didn't lose any money on the deal.

I do a trigger job on every one I own as soon as I get them home and clean the cosmoline off.  I also polish the feed ramp.  These are very accurate as far as I am concerned as friends and I have used them to shoot running jackrabbits.  I have always used small caliber pistols for hunting rabbits, usually a Ruger Mark II .22.

I originally got most of the Bulgarians through J&G over several years for prices of about $130.00 or less plus tax and the price of driving to Phoenix for gunshows and admission.  I did get a couple at gunshows in Tucson for $160.00 or so.

The Russian ones I have picked up at Jensen's, a gunshow and a pawn shop anywhere from $220 down to $170.00 at the pawnshop owner who cut his price because of my employment.  I will buy a Makarov anytime I see a good deal on one.  I regret selling the Bulgarian ones I sold except for one that had a new import serial number marked and the old cyrillic serial number X'ed out.

Prices for Bulgarian Makarovs on some of the auction sites are about $240.00 +, I remember when J&G had them for $99.00.   Check out gunshows and pawnshops and you might get a very good deal from someone who doesn't know what they have.  An East German marked by the seller as a Bulgarian or a Chinese for about $180.00.  The Chinese pistols are about the worst in quality from what I remember, but they bring more to collectors because so few were imported.

The Hungarian PA 63's are back in stock at Aim Surplus, not a Makarov though they are chambered for the 9x18 round.  These have been hard to find for over a year, so there is a chance that new shipments of Makarovs will arrive again someday.  

Don't know if they actually have them or if it is a good place to buy :  www.impactguns.com/store/HG765-X.html

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#17]
AimSurplus used to carry them regularly but I haven't looked in awhile.....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The supply Of Bulgarian Maks does appear to be drying up somewhat.  But who knows what's down the road.  Quality wise, they are the lowest of the Makarovs and are very often fraught with feeding problems.  

Hmm I have owned a russian and a bulgarian, and the bulgarian seemed to be better made and I had less trouble with it, and the russian was new and the bulgarian was used, go figure.

I sold the russian and kept the bulgarian.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#20]
GA has a few.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Bulgarian Makarov and I'm a machinist and tool and die maker by trade and if it's not well made, I'd love to see a pistol that is. It has never once failed. It's got better fit and finish than my 1911, Glock, and CZ-52.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I found one here

70.84.217.219/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi/agora.cgi?cart_id=6642605.4183*T222y3&product=Handguns&cart_id=6642605.4183*Ig3CS5

Isnt this a little pricy for a Makarov???

FREE

For an Original Russian slightly.

If you want a traditional Makarov ie. Russian, Chinese, or Bulgarian I think everyone is tapped outfor a while.  Classic Arms in NC has P-64s2/3 down the page and Aimsurplus has PA-63s and P-64sHere

I reccomend the PA-63 though it is larger than the P-64 it is still concealable.  Triggers are heavy but not as bad as Hungarian models,
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#24]
i do not agree with the bulgy makarov's being the worst in quality,..no way.

i have both a russian pm and a bulgy,...both are very well made pistols. and i would not part with them for anything.

im looking for a nice E.G.,..Arsenal,..and Mil-tex,..and maybe a chinese to join the little mak family ive started

FREEFALL,..if your interested,.. i know a local shop around here that has a ok looking bulgy mak with one mag for 130-140,...it is one of the pw ones that do not have the billboard or struck out serial #'s

let me know and i will im or email the shops contact info and maybe you can work something out.

ill post picture of mine once photobucket stops acting up.

here my two so far.

my bulgy,...please excuse my grubby fingerprints.

and my russian.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:56:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I hate to toot my own horn but......

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=88&t=319526

Wanted to do FTF but we can work something out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:13:20 AM EDT
[#27]
how do they shoot?

good as a CCW?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
how do they shoot?

good as a CCW?

If you have any handgun shooting skills, they shoot great.  The East German and Bulgarian have a slide that you can have new Novak sights installed on if you have a gunsmith with a mill and the abilities.  I have these on a Beast slide but the guy is now out of business.  Makarov.com used to do the work on slides also, but no longer do.  

The Russian adjustable sights suck but there is a replacement, but the original sights will be destroyed when you attempt to remove them. I replaced them on one of my Russian comercial pistols.

CCW is alright, they are a solid reliable handgun, though a bit heavy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#29]
OK,I finally picked up a used Bulgarian Makarov.Where is the best place to get a set of the original bakelite grips and extra mag?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
OK,I finally picked up a used Bulgarian Makarov.Where is the best place to get a set of the original bakelite grips and extra mag?

I think ive got an extra mag, but no extra grip. Send me a PM if youre interested.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Aren't too many places with them in stock right now:

CDNNInvestments Used

New

Grip This appears to be maybe Chinese.

Unbelievable Shipping Rate Of Only $9.99 Per Order No Matter How Many Things You Buy!

I had a bunch of the grips I picked up for at J&G, I'll have to look for them.

OK, I have one Well used Bakelite grip and some extra used mags. Let me know if you are interested.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks Guys,I have the grips comming from Makarov.com and SVT is looking for a mag.The one I picked up is well used but really tight,I found it at a local shop for 150.00
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Your getting raped on the grip from Makarov.com.  $10.00 - I would have sent you mine for shipping.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#34]
For those of you who need 9x18 ammo, this guy has a WHOPPING 8 ROUNDS on auction...

gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=42730764
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Your getting raped on the grip from Makarov.com.  $10.00 - I would have sent you mine for shipping.

Well,my butt does kinda hurt!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top