Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/15/2006 3:44:29 PM EDT
Are US parts required to convert a S12 sporter into a 12C type configuration (pistol grip) ?

There is an individual who says that no US parts are required since 922R only addresses "assembly" and that since you aren't "assembling" the S12 spporter but rater are "modifying" it, no US parts are required.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
not true. 922r applies to WASRs, and its the same shtick
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]
He's really, really sure that there are no US parts required.

Ya see, since it's "modifying" and not "assembling", the law doesn't cover it and you can modify the gun however you want!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
He's really, really sure that there are no US parts required.

Ya see, since it's "modifying" and not "assembling", the law doesn't cover it and you can modify the gun however you want!

Well, its his butthole.

He is wrong, BTW.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]
modding is still changing the assembly of the gun, I.E. you must assmble the mods on to it
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]
To legally modify the Saiga 12, put in a US FCG, and you might as well use a US pistol grip too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Being that you so ignorant of the law I will quote it for you again here...

"It shall be unlawful for any person to
assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic
rifle or any shotgun which is
identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited
from importation under section 925(d)(3)
of this chapter as not being particularly
suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting
purposes except that this subsection."

The BATF regs are very long and extremely specific. No where does it say that you can't modify an already assembled and legal weapon.

There is no need to interpret the law. It is very clear. If the BATF wanted a law for modifying an existing weapon, they would have one.

He's awfully sure of himself...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
<SIGH>

All your answers are here......forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=2042
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#8]
he's trying to use the normal english, not that used to write laws.  And he's splitting hairs to boot.

If you want to get to his level, then here's the argument ...

You start with a S12

you end with a S12C

somewhere in there you assembled/created a S12C.

If you were modifying the S12, it would remain an S12.  IOW, if you want to replace the sporter stock with a US made one, then you are ok.  The S12C is seen as a separate weapon because it has the verbotten features.

I wish he was right, I'd love to "modify" all of my long guns to have a 3rd selector position  

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top