Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/14/2006 3:22:53 PM EDT
I just got this idea, because I just came from the surplus store, where I was looking at these big ammo boxs, they look like they were for rockets maybe(?), I thought about puting a rifle or two, some ammo and a few mags in there and stowing it somewhere, problem is an assembled AK wouldn't quite fit in it. Now I have a folder that would fit, vut it is to expensive to keep hidden away like that, for this I should use a cheap ass Romy rifle, so I got this idea: cut the wood stock a few inches behind the receiver, then install a small hinge on one side and a  "buckle" latch on the other side. I don't have a photo, but I'll try to explain the latch, it's the one that kinda ratchets over, put the loop around the hook on the other side, then ratchet it down, it would hold it pretty tight and solid. Has anyone else done this yet? I'd guess it's sturdier than a TAPCO folder.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell man, give it a try...the worst that happens is you are out a $20 wood stock and a few dollars of hardware.

That being said, the other two options are:

1. install a romanian sidefolder which can be found for $50 these days

2. remove the wood stock and reinstall when needed (include a screwdrive and mallet in the case)
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I say try the wood option.  I'd like to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Real estate sales man if there is anyone on this board who can figure it out it's you. Once you have figured it out post pics.  If it's any help, 20mm ammo cans are the perfect size for a rifle,mags and ammo. If you need dimensions I could "dig one up" and provide them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hell man, give it a try...the worst that happens is you are out a $20 wood stock and a few dollars of hardware.

That being said, the other two options are:

1. install a romanian sidefolder which can be found for $50 these days

2. remove the wood stock and reinstall when needed (include a screwdrive and mallet in the case)

I was worried that that could be illegal 'cause it could be less than 26". (I've heard an AK without stock is under 26") IMO it's kinda a "gray area", as I wouldn't intend on shooting it that way, it is capable of being fired in that form. Ya know, the ATF and "constructive intent".
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]
My latest build is over 26" long without the stock INCLUDING the stock tang. My underfolder is just  over 26"according to my tape measure. Any folding stock you build out of a wood stock will have to be over 26" due to the stock tang. The question is can we fit it in an ammo can for storage which is "burglar" proof?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Remove the stock from the rifles, put the stock and the rest of ur stuff in the box and include a screw driver to attach the buttstock. Or get some 6inch PVC pipe and some end caps.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
You could use some folding stock hardware from ACE
http://www.aceltdusa.com/
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Real estate sales man if there is anyone on this board who can figure it out it's you. Once you have figured it out post pics.  If it's any help, 20mm ammo cans are the perfect size for a rifle,mags and ammo. If you need dimensions I could "dig one up" and provide them.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, a lot cheaper than the Soviet polymer sidefolder, eh?

Seriously, nice work bro, that is ingenious.  To be honest I would just restain the wood and either hit the lock and hinge with some gunkote or find blackened hardware and call it perfect!

[ETA]  Is the lockup nice and solid?  Have you had a chance to fire it yet?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry But I only see red XXX's Could you try reposting the pictures.

I would love to see what you came up with.

Thanks Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sorry But I only see red XXX's Could you try reposting the pictures.

I would love to see what you came up with.

Thanks Sign_Wolfman

My host must've gone down, they where up earlyer, I saw 'em, Dawg180 saw 'em?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Seriously, nice work bro, that is ingenious.  To be honest I would just restain the wood and either hit the lock and hinge with some gunkote or find blackened hardware and call it perfect!

Yeah, I'll restain the wood, but I like the brass, if you were in the military brass meens something to you, 'cause you spent all your time pollishing it or kissing it's ass!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My host must've gone down, they where up earlyer, I saw 'em, Dawg180 saw 'em?

Sorry but I stile don't see them. I will try back later...

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:55:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I wanna see em.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Tell me about it!  I just forked out for one that's still sitting in Germany.  I'm not in a hurry as long as it gets here by summer.  Then my SLR will be making a trip to InRange!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Just take out the wood stock.  Put velcro tabs on it and velcro on the reciever.  There are some very strong velcros on the market.   No need for screws.    

BTW- The Tapco stocks lock up pretty tight and sturdy.  Good cheekweld too for a folder.   Unfortunately, they are also ugly as hell imho.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#17]
They are showing as 'X' for me too now.  Maybe you ran over your bandwidth.  Or just try reposting them...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#18]
JG sales has some chinese mak stocks dirt cheap...great candidate for hacking up 10 @ .89/each

catalog.jgsales.com/?itemnumber=7-694

I got some with kits and they are well worth the money...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/kdaf6o.jpg
tinypic.com/kdan45.jpg
tinypic.com/kdao2c.jpg
tinypic.com/kdaour.jpg
tinypic.com/kdjrt4.jpg
tinypic.com/kdjsp0.jpg

All X's here too
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I was thinking about something like this too, but using the CTT tang and folding hinge from the Ace folders. I duno, just a thought...

I didn't see the post before mine that already mentioned this
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Photo host appears to be back up now.
It seems to lock up tight. I know it wouldn't last long for crushing zombie skulls though. But it gives a good solid rest for shoot'n.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#23]
that's fuggin awesome.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top