Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/13/2006 1:36:10 PM EDT
Well, the dreaded fate of real life is settling in, and rent is coming due soon, so I will have to put this one up on the block. I've got a gun show in about a week or so, and wanted to get some opinions about how much to ask for my Underfolder. It is a Chinese Pre-ban (of course) double underfolder (with spike bayonet). I think it is a Norinco. It doesn't have a manufacturer's markings, just the importer (F.T.C. if anyone wants to know). It  is not a safe queen, but considering that it is at least 16 yrs old, I figure it's in very good shape. I have put no more than 120 rounds through it, I don't know about any previous owners, but the bore still looks very nice. The stock has a little vertical wobble, but not bad and pretty much no horizontal play. Stocks have a couple small dings and are a little dirty (I hope to remedy this before the show) but are otherwise in good shape. Metal finish overall is about 85% or better. Comes with a slant break installed, the folder bayonet is still perfect, no broken tip or anything, and the original mag that came with it when I purchased it. I was thinking of asking somewhere between $1100 and $1250 in total value, getting some cash and maybe something else to ease the pain of my loss. Does that sound fair to all of you, or is it too high? I know it isn't perfect, but NIB or similar ones are going for between $1400 and $1700. Any comments are welcome, since I am not posting this as a selling ad. If all else fails, I'll put it up in the EE for somewhere around there. I just have this sinking feeling that at least a couple people will try and lowball me at the show. So, price is too high, too low, or just about right? I'm sorry I can't post pics, but I don't have access to a camera right now. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
i don't know about price... but isnt there something else you can sell for rent?!

you're gonna regret letting go of this gun
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay, decided to update the info: I've checked out Jeepcreep's website again (tons of useful info, Thanks!!), and I'm pretty sure mine is actually an earlier pattern of the Polytech Underfolder. If you look at his pictures, mine looks identical, except for a little more useage. It doesn't bear any marks execpt for serial # on the trunion, importer mark, and the standard "AK47S 7.62x39 Made in China." I don't really have anything else to sell, and I'm not really super attached to this one. I bought it on the gamble I could have enough money to keep it, but it didn't work out that way. I know I can be happy with a well-built Vector or even a Yugo as long as Century did a good job, so I'm hoping I can find a trade where I can get something like that and cash, which means I won't loose out too badly. I don't need full cash value, but at least some to take care of bills. Anyway, is my asking price too high, too low, or in a decent range?? Anybody?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:32:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I would personally pay $1200.00 for it if I had the money.  Good luck with your sales.  

I would start a little on the higher end then reduce the price if it doesnt move.  Post holiday is a bad time to sell too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Try selling to an individual before a dealer, dealer's alway's try to lowball you ...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I think with the current market on Chicom AK's you will be lucky to get $800-$900 out of it. Why buy a 16 year old rifle in 85% condition when you could buy something like this new for $1150 with a milled reciever? I understand that chicoms are pre 89 but most people in most states can have this arsenal and dont really care about the 89 ban anymore. With that said good luck with your sale.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#6]
You want to price the gun so that when people walk by, they see the price and think: that's a good price, I bet I can talk him down. You don't want the price so high that people laugh at the price and don't even say a thing to you. I was at a gun show in MN a few months ago and a guy had a stamped Norinco underfolder with all accesories in the box, very good condition, for $1000. If I had the money, I would have bought it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think with the current market on Chicom AK's you will be lucky to get $800-$900 out of it. Why buy a 16 year old rifle in 85% condition when you could buy something like this new for $1150 with a milled reciever? I understand that chicoms are pre 89 but most people in most states can have this arsenal and dont really care about the 89 ban anymore. With that said good luck with your sale.

+1 no reason to pay any higher than ark-and-spark stated and then you will be lucky to get that as Utah is a free state with Vector Arms building underfolders on U.S. receivers there in Salt Lake, I would expect gunshows in Utah to have a glut of dealers selling new underfolders.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 no reason to pay any higher than ark-and-spark stated and then you will be lucky to get that as Utah is a free state with Vector Arms building underfolders on U.S. receivers there in Salt Lake, I would expect gunshows in Utah to have a glut of dealers selling new underfolders.

Wouldn't you though?  Sad thing is, the last few shows I've been to have been a little too AR dominant.  I only saw a couple AKs at the last show that made me think about emptying my wallet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Well Sig, if you're going to the show in SLC this next weekend, you may have a chance to take a look at this one. I'm being conservative with the finish rating, it's probably better, but I don't want to be accused of false advertising. I agree that even with Vector about 20 mins away, we still don't have that many of them at the shows, which is sad. Anyway, if it doesn't sell, I may hang onto it for a month or two (keeping fingers crossed for enough money) and put it up on the EE for all the banned staters who might like it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#10]
You might have better luck with Gunbroker.com There you will get market value.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top