Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/11/2006 7:03:06 PM EDT
Hey, I'm a longtime reader on the forums but i don't post very often. Anyway I picked up a new Vector underfolder AK not too long ago and took it out for its "initiation" I loaded up with 30 rds of Winchester 7.62 123 grain FMJ and on the first shot I got a stovepipe. The second round failed to cycle and then the third as well. But after that it seemed to cycle fine. The second mag had the same problem for the first couple of rounds; it would either stovepipe or jam to begin with but would shoot fine after that.
From what I gathered Vector has a great rep; everything seems to working properly on the gun as near as I can tell otherwise. Anyone eles have problems with Vector?
I've never had problems like with with an AK before, and this is the fourth AK I've owned (I've had 2 Norinco's and a Maadi). I dumped them for an AR years ago, but I'm already starting to regret going back to AKs. Thank god for the 5 year warranty, but I don't want to hastle with returning the gun if its a quick fix. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:12:59 PM EDT
Don't post very often? This is your first! Just kidding. Welcome!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:16:32 PM EDT
Did you try more than one mag? Maybe the fully loaded mag was putting a little to much upward pressure on the botl carrier. If that was the case, after the first 3 or so rounds were fired the spring would have slightly less tention.

I hope its really something like that. I know I like my vector, what receiver is yours built on?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:18:30 PM EDT
Yea, coulda sworn I've posted more than once, but much like the government, the forum post tracker never lies, right?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:20:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:23:12 PM EDT
It's an Armory receiver which supposedly is the good kind. I thought the mag might be the problem, but it's new, and I haven't been able to pick up another one. The spring seems ok too; not too weak or anything.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:23:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:29:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2006 7:30:31 PM EDT by JOHNO]
Does the mag fit really tight?The mag release kinda hard to depress with a mag in the rifle?

edited to add,Welcome To The Dark Side!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:32:01 PM EDT
Now that you mention it, the mag is a bit tight. Not extremely so, but yea...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:37:30 PM EDT
With a mag inserted,is the mag release lever up and down or resting at a good angle?It should be at a good angle,if not,the mag release needs a little taken off.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:42:32 PM EDT
There's enough room for the mag release to engage all the way. But as I remember with my previous AK's there was always a little bit more play with the mags. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn' t it be tight to avoid rattling around?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:44:50 PM EDT
I'm assuming this is a military mag NOT one of those USA waffles?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:51:25 PM EDT
Yea, It's military, Russian style, but it has no markings. I'm not sure where Vector get's its mags. I'm pretty much convinced that it would be a good idea to try a new magazine before I banish this gun to the depths of my gun cabinet or try to get my money back. Thanks for the advice, you guys rock! Maybe I'll come say hi more often.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:52:08 PM EDT
A little wobble is preferred,the #1 thing that makes the AK so reliable is the loose tolerances.I've had this same problem with a G-Tech SSR99P,I even sent it back twice before I figured out the problem and fixed it myself.If you'll notice,the rear lug on an AK mag is ramped,if the mag release is too long,it'll catch tight too closeto the thin end.What you want is for it to catch farther up the thick end,this will also ease the pressure on the mag release while still holding the mag secure.If you get it right,it'll function with any imported AK mag.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:05:09 PM EDT
I'd definately try other mags before I went and ground on the lever ...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:40:07 PM EDT
make sure the mag doesn't have a plastic (USA) follower, they suck bad!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:18:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/12/2006 5:19:48 AM EDT by arcom]
The classic stovepipe is most often caused by "short cycling" which is a condition where the bolt does not go completely to the rear to hit the ejector but goes far enough for the spent casing to clear the chamber, then goes forward and jams the casing, open end up, against the breech. The bolt never gets a chance to feed the next round so there is no double feed. The condition is much more common in semi auto pistols but in an AK could be caused by the bolt carrier binding somewhere with the receiver or recoil spring problems. However, you would be able to see this just by dry cycling the action.

Low powered ammo that doesn't power the bolt carrier back enough can induce a stovepipe.

A broken/worn ejector can result in a stovepie but will usually be accompanied by a double feed beacuse the bolt goes back enough to strip off the next round. Ditto for the extractor.

Magazines can cause feed problems but of all the rifles I've shot, AKs are by far the most tolerant of magazines. It's in the design of the magazine (bullet proof feed lips and gorilla strength springs) and the way the mag locks up.

The basic remedies are to make sure the rifle is clean, try different mags, and try different ammo.

Good luck---you do have the warranty.

HTH
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:58:04 AM EDT
Top Top