Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/11/2006 11:58:40 AM EDT
This is actually my first AK ever.  I started a build, then wimped out, sold the kit, and bought a fixed stock (wood) AK-47 from Atlantic Firearms.  They had the deal running for $450 & free shipping, so I jumped on it.

They asked that you write a review of the weapon and their service if you bought one on sale, so here it is..

The rifle looks to be top-notch.  The wood looks good, metal looks good, everything appears to function properly, etc.  It came with one 30-rd mag.  The wood over the gas tube and the butt are solid, the lower handguard is a laminate.  I thought that was odd, but they match pretty well.

It DOES have a selector/cover gap, but that doesn't matter to me.

None of the serial numbers seem to match, like it was built from 5 different kits, but everything has been refinished, so it doesn't really matter.

The trigger feels good to me, and a friend who has had several AKs said it was pretty darn crisp for an AK.  The same friend thought the buttstock was a little longer than his AKs, but that might be BS - I didn't have anything to compare it against, but it feels good.

The service was alright from Atlantic.  I ordered it on a Thursday, Dec 29th and it didn't ship out until the following Wednesday because they were closed Monday for New Years.  Customer service was kind of erratic.  I spoke to a guy (Blaine) on the phone about ordering one of these and he was friendly and knowledgeable.  On their website though, it has a long page of rules YOU MUST FOLLOW if you want to order from them.  I just found it a bit unfriendly to read READ THIS BEFORE ORDERING, FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE RULES WILL RESULT IN CANCELLATION OF YOUR ORDER, etc..  It's all stuff like "fax a copy of your order with the FFL - ffls without an order sheet will be cancelled, etc.."  DO NOT CALL FOR A TRACKING NUMBER - they want you to use an online form, which I filled out when they said it shipped.  I got no response, so I filled the form out again a few days later, requesting a tracking number.  I got a blank reply with a number pasted in - no courtesies such as "Here's your tracking number, thanks!".  I don't need a little hug with every email, but small pleasantries improve the company's image.  Oh, and they sent the wrong tracking #, so I emailed again and they sent the correct one after that third email.

I haven't gotten the rifle to the range yet - when I do, I'll update this, as well as add some pictures.

On a scale of 1 to 10:

Vector build quality                   8 or 9        (considering a WASR as a 4)

Atlantic Firearms Price             8

Atlantic Firearms Cust Serv     5

I'd definately buy another Vector.  I'd possibly buy it from Atlantic if the price was right, but I wouldn't go out of my way to deal with them.  Not bad, just nothing special either.

I'll post some better pics, but these are some quick and dirty ones I took last night:

PHOTOS HERE

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for giving us the low down..
Welcome to the Dark side...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]
"I'd definitely buy another Vector. I'd possibly buy it from Atlantic if the price was right, but I wouldn't go out of my way to deal with them. Not bad, just nothing special either."

You know, I feel the same way with vendors.  It's the little things they do that inspire me to remain a loyal and repeat customer.  

Some of the vendors on this site are hailed as "the best," "the greatest," "he's the man," etc.
I've ordered items through these demi-god vendors and I have to admit, what's the big deal?

The other day I ordered an upper for my M4gery.  When I called them to order, I stated my name and where I was calling from, as I always do, and the response was: "Yeah?"  As if to say, "so what?"

I know some of you are probably thinking, "What do you want the guy to say?"  

Well, first of all, when I state my name and where I'm calling from, the least they could do is say:
"Hi, Bud.  How's it going?"  Specifically, when you're paying the dime for the phone call.

Some vendors don't even acknowledge you at all.  Again, it's the little things that count.

Bud
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Do these Vectors have chrome lined bores? Heard someone is making AK's with new chrome moly barrels, something to avoid.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/jonathanwong/thumb_thisthreadisworthlesswithoutp.gif

Here is a pic of my Vector Classic and Vector underfolder both from www.atlanticfirearms.com:  (The one with synthetic stock set is my PolyLegend. )

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#6]
1 more!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice post, Adrock.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
does anyone know if the lower handguard on the polish underfolder that is on atlanticarms is laminate or is it wood?  this has probably been asked before
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Instante,

Gorgeous guns!  Why did you elect to take the wood furniture off the "Legend" and replace with synthetic?

No insult intended...just curious.

If you've got the old furniture off that "Legend,"  I'll buy it from you!

Bud
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Another pic of Vector Underfolder from atlantic.

Sorry Bachelor_of_Science the original Furniture from the Poly Legend is not for sale.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, I added a bunch of close-up pictures..  (follow the link in the first post)

There are a couple little gaps here and there in the build, etc..  Also, the paint looks semi-gloss black in person.  In the pictures it looks 2 different shades of grey, but that's just the camera..  I noticed small things like the gouged top part of the chamber where the barrel was pushed out, but it's painted over.

Anyone know from the stamps what kind of kit this is?

PS - the bore is chromed - someone asked that earlier..
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#12]
The front trunnion looks East German, although I can't see it clearly.
The butt stock is from a AK-74.
The hand guards look Polish.

Quoted:
Ok, I added a bunch of close-up pictures..  (follow the link in the first post)

There are a couple little gaps here and there in the build, etc..  Also, the paint looks semi-gloss black in person.  In the pictures it looks 2 different shades of grey, but that's just the camera..  I noticed small things like the gouged top part of the chamber where the barrel was pushed out, but it's painted over.

Anyone know from the stamps what kind of kit this is?

PS - the bore is chromed - someone asked that earlier..

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The front trunnion looks East German, although I can't see it clearly.
The butt stock is from a AK-74.
The hand guards look Polish.

wow!  I know the numbers on every piece are different, but I assumed it would all be one country..
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I could probably tell you what barrel it has if you will tell me what letter it stamped into the rear site just below the 2. If you move the rear site elevation slide up you'll should see a letter stamped under the 2. For example a East German has a N, a Polish has an S, a Romanian has a P, Hungarian has an A.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Instante,

What bayo did you get for your vector?
I need on for my rifle.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm really liking that Vector Underfolder....that is NICE!  

How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Here are two pictures of adrock's AK.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Instante, Is that wood on the Vector, the set I bought on the EE?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Instante, Is that wood on the Vector, the set I bought on the EE?

Yes it is, spf!  I'll let you know when the m/o gets here.  Still having a hardtime getting it off, I didnt try the t-shirt and mallet method you suggested yet.  Thanks!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top