Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/10/2006 6:48:47 PM EDT
seen some very interesting film today on the history channel. they found an old weapons cache and it was full of rusted up AK and other odds and ends(said it had been buried for 18 years). This AK the guy picked up was a rusted POS...he took a quart of motor oil and dumped all over the gun....got the action bach and worked it a few times....put in a mag a went to town.....damn AK didnt miss a lick.  Not trying to start a war but no AR in the world would have worked. Thats why I went to all AKs, the toughest little rifle in the world.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
But honestly do you expect to bury your AK for 18 Years!........

I can put an AR in a case with some mild oils and store it for pro-longed time periods and it would work as well.

Hell if you store any rifle the right way it will last for many, many decades.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#3]
something that always interested me was how much abuse the Mauser and Garands could take and still function very well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, but you get old and loose intrest sometimes. I heard about a guy who broght one back from nam never looked at it for 30+ years bolt was rusted shut. He then kicked the damn thing open and dumped about three mags through it and put it back. You would still have to clean the dust bunnies out of the AR after you knocked the bolt open.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I can put an AR in a case with some mild oils and store it for pro-longed time periods and it would work as well.

id rather bury them than turn them in if it ever came to that.

and you know good and well if you dug a hole and tossed a ar and a AK in and covered it up and came back 15-20 years later that ar would not have a chance.

and your right anything,... stored properly will last a very long time,....the point is you dont have to store a AK properly,.. i can not think of another rifle in the world that has the same rugged real world realiability of the AK47 design.

i mean what other rifle can you toss in a hole in the ground and forget about and still have it function years/decades later?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but no worries I doubt that it would ever come to that.
and you know good and well if you dug a hole and tossed a ar and a AK in and covered it up and came back 15-20 years later that ar would not have a chance.
Your talking about 2 totally different designs both of which have been discussed here to Death..
and your right anything,... stored properly will last a very long time,....the point is you dont have to store a AK properly,.. i can not think of another rifle in the world that has the same rugged real world realiability of the AK47 design.
And the point is why would you not store it right? It's not that hard to find a box or crate no matter what part of the world your in. You don't just have to dig a hole and throw a rifle in there and come back in XXXX date.

i mean what other rifle can you toss in a hole in the ground and forget about and still have it function years/decades later?
FAL, Garand, Mauser, UZI, Just to name a few rifles that have been know for utmost reliability, there just not a simple to mass produce as the AK is. Plus it was a nice incentive when the soviet union gave away the rifles by the crate load and the tooling to countries to produce thier own AK rifles

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The country in which those were found was Mozambique.  There is a long sorted history in that area.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your talking about 2 totally different designs both of which have been discussed here to Death..
And the point is why would you not store it right? It's not that hard to find a box or crate no matter what part of the world your in. You don't just have to dig a hole and throw a rifle in there and come back in XXXX date.

FAL, Garand, Mauser, UZI, Just to name a few rifles that have been know for utmost reliability, there just not a simple to mass produce as the AK is. Plus it was a nice incentive when the soviet union gave away the rifles by the crate load and the tooling to countries to produce thier own AK rifles

That, and its better. And you can't compare boltgun reliability to an automatic's. So scratch the mauser.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#9]
AR would be good as well... Remember that the receiver is aluminum which = no rust. All the moving parts steel parts are chromed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the bolt rusting to hell would stop the AR though.  I doubt we'll ever know for sure, as I don't know anybody that's willing to bury theirs in an underground bunker.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#11]
A GunMagazine in the Netherlands did a testfire series and article on dug up K98 rifle left by a German soldier in Holland somewhere near the end of WW2. They rougly cleaned it (cleared the bore, made the action work) and fired it. This weapon had been buried for over 55 years by the time they tested it

They did, very wisely so, fire it from a vise with a piece of string.

But you can get buried guns back to life......
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:13:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Yawn.........................

Everybody's got a friend who has  an AK that has been buried or in a well for  250 years. Takes it out and the bolt is rusted shut. Kicks it open and then goes on to Camp Perry and competes in the 1000 yard compitetion and wins it. Damn that story never gets old. It has to be the magic pixie dust they use in the commie factories......  WarDawg
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:56:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yawn.........................

Everybody's got a friend who has  an AK that has been buried or in a well for  250 years. Takes it out and the bolt is rusted shut. Kicks it open and then goes on to Camp Perry and competes in the 1000 yard compitetion and wins it. Damn that story never gets old. It has to be the magic pixie dust they use in the commie factories......  WarDawg

Except for the fact that the K98 story is true, with a byline don't try this at home kids....

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:08:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The country in which those were found was Mozambique.  There is a long sorted history in that area.

It was at that. and Templar was also correct - it was the South African Special Forces (of sort) that went into Moz. to intercept and destroy weapon caches

Incredible. He dug it up, banged it around, poured 30 weight all over it , inserted a loaded mag, and opened up full auto and dumped the entire mag without failure

Now thats a testimonial.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:13:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was at that. and Templar was also correct - it was the South African Special Forces (of sort) that went into Moz. to intercept and destroy weapon caches

Incredible. He dug it up, banged it around, poured 30 weight all over it , inserted a loaded mag, and opened up full auto and dumped the entire mag without failure

Now thats a testimonial.

What show was this on?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:54:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I've seen that show several times. It's on right now @7;55 am est.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:10:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Take it none of you have read Hack's book, "About Face".

IIRC, there's a story about a new base being built in the Delta area of Nam, in which a dozer uncovers a dead VC (over a year dead, rotted, etc) in the marsh area where they were clearing.

Along w/ the stinking corpse is his AK. Hack calls his troopers over, climbs down the hole where the VC was, picks up the AK and after making sure the bore is un-obstructed, rips off the entire 30 round mag, w/ rifle never missing a beat.

He then makes some statement to the effect that "THIS" is what a combat rifle should be capable of.....

but then Hack was a big diss'r of the M16 from the get go and hated it.

Good book, good soldier, suggest ya check it out.......

Mike

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:42:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
AR would be good as well... Remember that the receiver is aluminum which = no rust. All the moving parts steel parts are chromed.

I do not agree that all moving parts are chrome.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:45:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Assuming the story is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, take it for what its worth.  How many rusted AKs have been picked up and THEY DIDN'T WORK?  Get real guys.  This is like the video of the guy who makes a basket by throwing the ball behind him from half court.  Wow!!!  Fantastic!!!!  Does anyone realistically believe that a) he could ever do it again, b) he can do it once, every game, c) he can do it every shot, or d) it was a fluke, noteworthy only because of the luck and he'll never repeat it.

I love my AKs.  But if it was realistic to assume that burying them without protection, never cleaning them, never maintaining them, etc. were all practices with no ill effects, don't you think everyone would have given up doing all that unnecessary stuff?  Why issue cleaning kits?  They aren't needed.  Why put a protective finish on the gun?  Rust doesn't hurt and it will eventually give it a camo effect.

Take the story for what it is worth.  It is an amazing fluke.  Be amazed.  Laugh.  Beat your chest.  But don't assume that your AK will still run after abusing it half as bad.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#20]
going bang every time is so overrated.    it can't happen *every* time, so it doesn't count.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That, and its better. And you can't compare boltgun reliability to an automatic's. So scratch the mauser.

Why not.
Still a military service rifle with one of the greatest track records in the world.
Still every bit as deadly as any AK you find as well.
The Mauser Rifle scored higher on the History channels top ten guns that changed the world as well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#22]
In a related story this was dug up after being buried for over a hundred years and still worked too.

Its tough too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#23]
There was a story of a M-2 .50 cal Browning that was found in a river here in Germany. It was on a Sherman tank that fell in or some deal during WWII.. Anyways, the unit that found it, cleaned it up, had the springs replaced, and it was still good....

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Sure you can read stories of old guns being fired......the point here was..the guy just grabed one out of a rusted pile of crap and was able to fire it by just pouring motor oil on it is amazing...no AR in the world will take being buried for 18 years dug up and fired just as found.....and you cant compare a bolt action rifle to a full automatic assualt weapon. The show I was watching I thought was about Afghanistan...they must have slipped in some footage of Mozambique because they did show one of their special police units. And it has nothing to with...."who the hell would bury their guns for that long that way"...dosent matter. The point again ...it worked with nothing more than a can of oil poured on it after being buried for over 18 years. THATS THE WHOLE POINT.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Sure you can read stories of old guns being fired......the point here was..the guy just grabed one out of a rusted pile of crap and was able to fire it by just pouring motor oil on it is amazing...no AR in the world will take being buried for 18 years dug up and fired just as found.....and you cant compare a bolt action rifle to a full automatic assualt weapon. The show I was watching I thought was about Afghanistan...they must have slipped in some footage of Mozambique because they did show one of their spaeciaal police units. And it has nothing to with...."who the hell would bury their guns for that long that way"...dosent matter. The point again ...it worked with nothing more than a can of oil poured on it after being buried for over 18 years. THATS THE WHOLE POINT.

This is why I like kalasnikovs. No matter what, they will always go bang and eat the nastiest combloc ammo.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#26]
OK, I will prove that the AR-15 can do it... I will go out and dig a hole and wrap my AR-15 in a plastic bag and burry it...  In 50-years you can all remind me to dig it up and we will see if it works...

Oh yea, I did admit that I will soak and dip everything in cosmoline right
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sure you can read stories of old guns being fired......the point here was..the guy just grabed one out of a rusted pile of crap and was able to fire it by just pouring motor oil on it is amazing...no AR in the world will take being buried for 18 years dug up and fired just as found.....and you cant compare a bolt action rifle to a full automatic assualt weapon. The show I was watching I thought was about Afghanistan...they must have slipped in some footage of Mozambique because they did show one of their spaeciaal police units. And it has nothing to with...."who the hell would bury their guns for that long that way"...dosent matter. The point again ...it worked with nothing more than a can of oil poured on it after being buried for over 18 years. THATS THE WHOLE POINT.

This is why I like kalasnikovs. No matter what, they will always go bang and eat the nastiest combloc ammo.

The AK has only one nemesis - The potty-trained gun monkeys at CENTURY ARMS!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Thats no shit LOL
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I saw AKs jam that the Iraqi police were using in Iraq all the time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
something that always interested me was how much abuse the Mauser and Garands could take and still function very well.

Don't forget the SMLE, or as I prefer, "The best goddamn bolt action battle rifle of all time".
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd like to see a video of this
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
A GunMagazine in the Netherlands did a testfire series and article on dug up K98 rifle left by a German soldier in Holland somewhere near the end of WW2. They rougly cleaned it (cleared the bore, made the action work) and fired it. This weapon had been buried for over 55 years by the time they tested it

They did, very wisely so, fire it from a vise with a piece of string.

But you can get buried guns back to life......

i mean you can't compare it because manual actions, from my experience, are alot more reliable than automatic actions
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Depends on the weather and soil conditions, in OH nothing would be left after 50yrs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#35]
hey the seagulls are migrating again.  

i swear if i had the time and money i'd put up a web page and start doing accuracy and reliability tests the same way OP does.   i'll bet there are even more "kicked open the rusted AK bolt and it fired" stories than "goddamn m-16 jammed up and almost got me killed" stories.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#36]
The first reliability test for the AK47 was when it was drug nearly 8 kilometers to a test range on chain behind a truck, it ran perfectly.

The Yugoslavians tested an AK for durability, they ran just shy of 80,000 rounds through a stamped AK, only swabbing the bore every 10.000 rounds, and dumping water on the barrel to keep it cooled down. It eventually stopped running so the engineers popped off the cover and found two crushed shell casings laying in the rear of the reciever.

No M16 will ever be as tough as an AK. Hell the Afghans are fighting us with AK's left over from when they fought the Russians nearly thirty years ago. Bar none- in harsh conditions, without access to tools, or supplies, you can only trust your life to the one weapon system that can survive generations of abuse in brutal combat in the third world, the AK-47. This is the dark side, only an idiot would stand here in the face of fact, and say the M16 is as good of a weapon system as the AK in terms of brute reliability in extreme adversity. The AK is the best weapon system, hands down. Even more so now with ambi-mag releases, ambi-saftey's, rail systems, and choices in optics. Not to mention most 5.45 and 5.56 guns are easily 1.5MOA guns using even the cheap Russian surplus that would choke most AR's after a few thousand rounds, yet the Yugo's ran nearly 80,000 rounds of the nasty laquer bastards through one poor Kalashnikov and it ate it all.

Sorry but no M16 can be burried, filled with sand, have crushed shell casings inside, require little to no maintanance, and litteraly go 30 years in combat in the harshest environment and survive. Take a look at what the Afghan rebels are using, what the fighters in the Sudan are using, at what the fighters in the Cashmere region are using, what every God for saken hole on the planet without supplies are using- Kalashnikovs.

I like my AR's but AK's they are not.

Creeper      
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:26:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Great thread.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Most AK owners on this forum don't drive a truck over their baby and then bury it, so why bother to gush about the reliability? Under real world conditions, the AR and AK work the same....every single time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:14:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Most AK owners on this forum don't drive a truck over their baby and then bury it, so why bother to gush about the reliability? Under real world conditions, the AR and AK work the same....every single time.

For most purposes the use of the personally owned AKs and ARs by the folks on this forum and the enviornments that they are used in scarely counts as real world conditions.  The mentioned accounts of third world shitheads still using AKs that looked like they had been cleaned with saltwater and a rock that still work after 40 years of abuse are much better examples of the AK in real world conditions.

For most of OUR purposes, they (ARs and AKs)  probably do work the same.

Although there was the Libyan guy on back to the future...

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#40]
now thats tough,
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:24:14 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

most AR owners won't do more than put holes in paper with theirs, so the 1" difference in group size makes no difference, their accuracy is the same as the AK's, every single time.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Far, Far away..in a long ago space and time................

I "came across" an AK of no use to its previous user, who was more or less, present. It had rust so thick that there were "fuzzy crystals" over all exposed metal...

For want of mischief and something to do, I hung it in a tree branch fork, tied it with 550 cord and rigged up a remote trigger pull mechanism. ( a long hunk of cord).

Well, despite the rust and crud, it fired all remaining rounds in the magazine at F/A.

My buds and I looked it over in amazement prior to beating it apart against said tree.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget the masdter AK builders and Gods of Fire and Steel, Vulcan.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Iraqi AKs jam because of Iraqi ammo.  With real ammo, they work just like all other AKs; exceptionally well.

An AR buried for a long time would be a pile of white powder with some rusty bits in it after a few years.  The aluminum will oxidize, swell, and generally flake apart.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The first reliability test for the AK47 was when it was drug nearly 8 kilometers to a test range on chain behind a truck, it ran perfectly.

The Yugoslavians tested an AK for durability, they ran just shy of 80,000 rounds through a stamped AK, only swabbing the bore every 10.000 rounds, and dumping water on the barrel to keep it cooled down. It eventually stopped running so the engineers popped off the cover and found two crushed shell casings laying in the rear of the reciever.

No M16 will ever be as tough as an AK. Hell the Afghans are fighting us with AK's left over from when they fought the Russians nearly thirty years ago. Bar none- in harsh conditions, without access to tools, or supplies, you can only trust your life to the one weapon system that can survive generations of abuse in brutal combat in the third world, the AK-47. This is the dark side, only an idiot would stand here in the face of fact, and say the M16 is as good of a weapon system as the AK in terms of brute reliability in extreme adversity. The AK is the best weapon system, hands down. Even more so now with ambi-mag releases, ambi-saftey's, rail systems, and choices in optics. Not to mention most 5.45 and 5.56 guns are easily 1.5MOA guns using even the cheap Russian surplus that would choke most AR's after a few thousand rounds, yet the Yugo's ran nearly 80,000 rounds of the nasty laquer bastards through one poor Kalashnikov and it ate it all.

Sorry but no M16 can be burried, filled with sand, have crushed shell casings inside, require little to no maintanance, and litteraly go 30 years in combat in the harshest environment and survive. Take a look at what the Afghan rebels are using, what the fighters in the Sudan are using, at what the fighters in the Cashmere region are using, what every God for saken hole on the planet without supplies are using- Kalashnikovs.

I like my AR's but AK's they are not.

Creeper      

Funny I have a video on my computer (roughly about 60 mbs) of the history of the AK. Towards the end of the documentary they show how communist Russia's market economics of giving AKs away and how they can be had for 50.00 US dollars in sub-sahara africa. Then they go on to Sudanese fighters (Young guys) and one is carrying a G3 or a FAL (can't remember) one has an AK, another has an original M16....
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Funny I have a video on my computer (roughly about 60 mbs) of the history of the AK. Towards the end of the documentary they show how communist Russia's market economics of giving AKs away and how they can be had for 50.00 US dollars in sub-sahara africa. Then they go on to Sudanese fighters (Young guys) and one is carrying a G3 or a FAL (can't remember) one has an AK, another has an original M16....

Maybe I missed something. You saw video of a 3rd world country where kids are carrying a G3, FAL, Ak, and an M16. Together they are the UN of guns or that there is the point that an old M16 was present with an AK?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I missed something. You saw video of a 3rd world country where kids are carrying a G3, FAL, Ak, and an M16. Together they are the UN of guns or that there is the point that an old M16 was present with an AK?

The point is everybody harps here about how unreliable the M16 variant is and how often is needs to be cleaned or it will jam on the spot. I wondered why the suddense guy would carry the rifle in the first place?? He could obviously get an AK if he wanted. Maybe a trophy or some sort, I dunno. I thought it was out of the ordinary to see an M16 out in the middle of Nowhere Africa.

Also what was driving me crazy is where would he get 5.56 ammo from?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The point is everybody harps here about how unreliable the M16 variant is and how often is needs to be cleaned or it will jam on the spot. I wondered why the suddense guy would carry the rifle in the first place?? He could obviously get an AK if he wanted. Maybe a trophy or some sort, I dunno. I thought it was out of the ordinary to see an M16 out in the middle of Nowhere Africa.

Also what was driving me crazy is where would he get 5.56 ammo from?

Not everybody Jake,I've seen M16s that were left in Vietnam,resurface 15 years later in a Country South of here,in good working condition.Some of them had been carried so much,there were holes in the mag wells from the salt in their sweaty hands.

You would be surprised where you'll see M16s around the World!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#49]
I saw that show. It was on the South African special police unit. That AK was RUSTED & BEAT to shit- but it still went bang...alot!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top