Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/10/2006 12:40:45 PM EDT
 Was curious if anyone had installed these type of handguards on their AK variants.  Any impressions as far as ergonomics?  How well it attached and how stable it is?  Also pics would be great.           Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The Tapco ones?  I have a set, save your $, after a couple mags they feel like they are made of rubber, and I prefer the narrower profile of regular AK HGs better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Good info to know.  They don't sound like they are worth the effort.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:05:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Real Galil handguards are a ton different than what Tapco is selling.  Real Galil are good quality, not sure how much of an effort it would be to fit them on an AK.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:48:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't done it, though I would like to.  Apparently, it is some work.  The Galil handguards have a sheet metal retainer that fits around the barrel and butts up to the receiver.  You have to pull the barrel to install it.  Then you will also need a plain gas tube without the flanges for the upper handguard.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:05:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the TAPCO Galil handguards on my AK. They work fine. No problems.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The Galil handguards have a sheet metal retainer that fits around the barrel and butts up to the receiver.  You have to pull the barrel to install it.

Where did you here that?
Here is what the retainer looks like(Not my favorite place but it has a good pic), I don't know if these will work on a stamped receiver though. You can use a Saiga gas tube available here ...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top