Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 8:48:57 AM EDT
btw... Can anybody tell me the big idea on the leather straps on the buttstocks.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice! where did these pics come from...

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
btw... Can anybody tell me the big idea on the leather straps on the buttstocks.

I think it's supposed to be a place where they can put their first aid kit..

HK
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#3]
it looks like its from a movie with the wide screen bars on the top and bottom of the pics....
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Russian made film.

I bought the DVD for like $5 when I was in St.Petersburg.

Basically its a combination of Full Metal Jacket/Hamburger Hill but set in Soviet Afghanistan in 1988/89. Folllows a group of Soviet Paratroopers from Basic training all the way to combat.

Overall, its pretty good but if you are just after action, then it would be a disappointment. Other then the final battle, there is only about 10 minutes worth of combat.

The one I bought was only in Russian, but was still able to figure the basic story out.. Later, I had the wife translate some of the words, and understood a little more. Anyone that has served in the Military (any military) will be able to relate to everything, as its all pretty much the same.

Sure leather straps were used as well, but I think that is surgical tubing on the buttstocks..

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Shots are from the DVD 9RotA, it's a russian warmovie on young troops in afganistan 1985. No subtitles, so understanding it is a bit hard(unless you speak russian).

Got the DVD at home, and I don't speak russian. But the movie is shot beautifully, all the stuff is authentic. Mi24's, Mi8, SU25's, AK's etc etc
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I would guess the leather straps are for more comfort when aiming and firing.  My 74 kinda taps my cheek when I fire it, about the only draw back.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I would guess the leather straps are for more comfort when aiming and firing.  My 74 kinda taps my cheek when I fire it, about the only draw back.

Its for a tournicate (sp?).
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Combined with the fielddressing in the buttstock, surgical/silicon tubing would make perfect sense. The brown look of it had me convinced it was leather
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Why do they have an Asian looking guy in there?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Probably a Siberian....The Soviet Union was big enough to have at least three racial types in it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#11]
There are a lot of asiatic people in Russia and the former Soviet Union.  Some more so than others.  Take a look a Boris Yeltsin's or Svetlana Boginskaya's face and tell me you don't see some drops of asian blood in them...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#12]
You must remember that Matushka Rossiya comprises TEN TIME ZONES on this planet and that includes a LOT of nationalities! Asian, Arabic, Nordish/Finlandic (up der by Finland der den ) and some I'm sure I'm leaving out..........
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I have always wondered why the hell the surgical tubing was on there........you see that everywhere!

This makes me want another AKS-74 kit..or four
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#14]
LOL that bald guy looks like a badass. Notice they gave that guy the grenade launcher!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
LOL that bald guy looks like a badass. Notice they gave that guy the grenade launcher!

In the movie, he is their PLT SGT or something like that...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#17]
www.rusmilitary.com

Think the DVD is Region5, but if your player is chipped or otherwise region free that shouldn't be a problem
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks Kuiper!

I'll have to try to track it down.

As far as nationalities go.......

Tartars, Kazaks, Uzbeks, Turkmen, Turks, Finns, Slavs, Caucasians (Caucus Mountain region....Georgians, Chechens), Armenians, Azerbijani, Chinese, Mongol, Siberian steppe nomads, that and more all comprised the Soviet Union.

When you get it Tim you should have a showing in Richmond That'd be cool
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I received this film as a gift from my brother-in-law (who lives in Moscow).  The case said "Russian/English Subtitles" so he thought it would be perfect for me.  It looks like a licensed copy but alas, it doesn't have English Subtitles.  So, I'll have to ask the wife to translate.  I heard it is a very good film from quite a few people - people who aren't even AK fans.  

I have one of those Norcent DVD players so I can play the movie (the cheaper the DVD player, the more likely it will play PAL movies).  The region isn't a big deal, it's the PAL format.  You can rip-recode a DVD without regions with free tools available on the internet (and legally under your fair-use license).  Coding it from PAL to US Standard (NTSC) is the pain in the ass.  If you have a copy in PAL format and you want to convert it and strip the regions, go to www.videohelp.com.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Kuiper, love the pics.  Good stuff.  I spotted at least one AKM in there,maybe not.  I thought there was one..  We so need a group buy on subtitled version of this.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Kuiper, love the pics.  Good stuff.  I spotted at least one AKM in there,the one with the grenade launcher.  We so need a group buy on subtitled version of this.

count me in if it happens!

med.kit stuff,.....the Estonian(sp?) plt. that was in baghdad with us had there stuff taped to there buttstocks as well,..made a nice cheek rest,..and if you needed it it was right there.

i definatly want to get a copy of this movie,....and maybe a russian wife to translate it
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Check this out:

http://9rota.ru/

It is on Russian, but very well built website with some cool pictures and other stuff.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#23]

How is he suppose to be ready to shoot when his rifle isn't even cocked...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I received this film as a gift from my brother-in-law (who lives in Moscow).  The case said "Russian/English Subtitles" so he thought it would be perfect for me.  It looks like a licensed copy but alas, it doesn't have English Subtitles.  So, I'll have to ask the wife to translate.  I heard it is a very good film from quite a few people - people who aren't even AK fans.  

I have one of those Norcent DVD players so I can play the movie (the cheaper the DVD player, the more likely it will play PAL movies).  The region isn't a big deal, it's the PAL format.  You can rip-recode a DVD without regions with free tools available on the internet (and legally under your fair-use license).  Coding it from PAL to US Standard (NTSC) is the pain in the ass.  If you have a copy in PAL format and you want to convert it and strip the regions, go to www.videohelp.com.  

Mine said the same thing on the cover- English subtitles... Of course it did not.

I simply play it on my laptop without problems.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
www.rusmilitary.com

Think the DVD is Region5, but if your player is chipped or otherwise region free that shouldn't be a problem

You can find copies on Ebay for like 10 bucks.

Since they retail in Russia for like 4 or 5 bucks, thats about the max one should pay for one in the west.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:33:12 PM EDT
[#26]
n1rampage........your right  haha that funny i had to look twice.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Kuiper, love the pics.  Good stuff.  I spotted at least one AKM in there,the one with the grenade launcher.  We so need a group buy on subtitled version of this.

If that would happen I would be in....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:25:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Why do they have an Asian looking guy in there?

Most of the Stan's were former Soviet countries and most of Uzbekistan is asian as a result of Ghangas Khan's quest into Central Asia.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top