Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/9/2006 2:19:23 AM EDT
For us Brits who aren't trusted to own full bore/centrefire semi-autos (Thanks Tony!!), does anybody have any experience of .22LR AK or SKS Clones?  What's hot, what's not?

Has anybody heard of a Romanian product called the AKT-98??

Thanks in advance for your help!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't but I'm looking for one as well.  Do you if any are available in UK?  I know the Armscorp one is crap and there are some made in Bulgaria that are supposed to be good but my knowledge stops there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:35:40 AM EDT
[#2]
If you go to www.supercharger.net/private/AKT/ you'll find some pictures of the Romanian AKT-98 which is an actual AK in 22 LR. I like mine; it's a fun little shooter that is reliable with HV 22.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:38:01 AM EDT
[#3]
There are a couple of sites offering the Armscor....but like you say...wouldn't touch them!  Doesn't appear to be too much else available in the UK. Do Armi-Jaeger still offer a .22LR? From the pix I've seen these look pretty close but don't know about their reliability or if you can interchange/upgrade parts like you can on AR clones.......
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:40:45 AM EDT
[#4]
CFS has the Romy ones under "new products"

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CSI&Product_Code=AKAGUN22&Category_Code=SA
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Does the UK allow civilians to own semi auto rifles that are machine guns converted to semi only? If so, there are some sources in mainland Europe for E.German Military (so its good quality, etc) Mpi-69 AK   .22 lr trainers.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Does the UK allow civilians to own semi auto rifles that are machine guns converted to semi only? If so, there are some sources in mainland Europe for E.German Military (so its good quality, etc) Mpi-69 AK   .22 lr trainers.

Stottmnan, I'd be very interested in finding European sources for E.German .22 AKs.  Do you have any more detailed info?  Are you saying that the Mpi-69 started out as a select-fire trainer?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Re: converted machine guns......

Interesting point......and I'd have to check up on this.  

The only semi-autos allowed for law-abiding memebrs of registered gun clubs, held on a standard legally held Firearms Certificate in the UK, are .22LR, no fully automatics.  So I can (and DO) have a .22LR semi-auto (better referred to in Mr Blair's anti-gun politically correct UK as "self-loading") AR clone.

There is no problem with any other type of semi-autos provided they are .22LR (10/22's, Marlins etc). and meet the UK legal requirements on minimum barrel length and overall length, there are no mag capacity issues etc.

I have just started looking at AK's and, provided operation is semi-auto only, do not envisage a problem.  The Romanian AK-MT22ST Trainer should be OK as long as it is semi and single shot only.

Anyone know if this is the case?

EDITTED 10/1/06

The following are the legal guidelines on prohibited firearms and ammunition in the UK:

"Common sense dictates that there are many types of firearms, especially those designed for military use, that have no place in the sporting field or hobby of shooting. There are others, for instance some hand guns, which have been brought into the prohibited category by Acts of Parliament. All of the following weapons and ammunition are prohibited:

Section 5 (1)
(a) any firearm which is so designed or adapted that two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger.

(ab) any self-loading or pump-action rifled gun other than one which is chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges.

(aba) any firearm which either has a barrel less than 30cm in length or is less than 60cm in length overall, other than an air weapon, a muzzle-loading gun or a firearm designed as signalling apparatus.

(ac) any self-loading or pump-action smooth bore gun which is not an air weapon or chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges and either has a barrel less than 24 inches in length or is less than 40 inches in length overall.

(ad) any smooth bore revolver gun other than one which is chambered for 9mm rim-fire cartridges or a muzzle-loading gun.

(ae) any rocket launcher, or any mortar, for projecting a stabilised missile, other than a launcher or mortar designed for line throwing or pyrotechnic purposes or as signalling apparatus.

(af) any air rifle, air gun or air pistol which uses, or is designed or adapted for use with, a self-contained gas cartridge system.

(b) any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing.

(c) any cartridge with a bullet so designed to explode on or immediately before impact, any ammunition containing or designed or adapted to contain any such noxious thing as is mentioned in paragraph (b) above and, if capable of being used with a firearm of any description, any grenade, bomb or other like missile, or rocket or shell designed to explode as aforesaid."

In my interpretation, a .22LR chambered AK such as the AKT-98 would be legal provided it was designed or has been converted to semi-auto only.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stottmnan, I'd be very interested in finding European sources for E.German .22 AKs.  Do you have any more detailed info?  Are you saying that the Mpi-69 started out as a select-fire trainer?

Yes, they are original Military select fire .22 trainers.
www.aa-ok.com/MP69.htm
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Can a regular stock be put on these and a reg grip?
Or are there the 922 issues?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Can a regular stock be put on these and a reg grip?
Or are there the 922 issues?

TIA

1St question, yes. I bought a RPK trainer and the receiver shell is the same dimentions.  #2, no, I believe .22 caliber is considered "sporting" no matter the configuration.  Check out the pics of mine here.  http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20659.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Reliablity is the issue w/ my AKT-98 too.  I have had it for 9 months, have put about 3000 rounds through it.  BUT, I can't get consistent feeding reliablity out of it.  Some days I will go through 100 rounds w/o a problem, next time I'll have 10!  

I have 2 problems:  one is failure to eject.  Sometimes the empty ends up behind the bolt where the hammer / trigger is, or in the gas tube.  Other times the empty case will get caught in the ejection port by the bolt.  The other problem is feed jams: the bolt will strip the cartridge out of the mag, then jam it into the chamber.  This disfigures the bullet (bends it in the case).  

I have tried several things to fix the issue.  The bolt rails are smooth (after 3000 rounds any burrs that I can't find would surely have been worn down).  I noticed that the top cover would sometimes catch the bolt handle, so I filed the dust cover down, so it is not catching any more.  I have scrubbed and cleand the rifle, as well as the mags, to no avail.  I have used many different kinds of .22 ammo, and all have the same jamming problems.

I have 7 mags for mine.  2 of them were junk when I got them (the plastic mag inserts were cracked / broken).  I replaced the inserts w/ Marlin 10 round mags.  Actually, my two "Marlin mags" are the most reliable that I have.

Regarding polishing the feed ramp: where would you polish?  My rifle doesn't really have a feed ramp: aside from the molded plastic part on the front of the mag.  When I look at the chamber of the rifle, there is a "step", but no ramp.

If anybody has any idea's on how to try and fix these issues please chime in!  I'd love to get my AKT 99% reliable (I'll live w/ 1 problem every 100 rounds!)

Even though it drives me crazy, I still shoot my AKT-98 more then any of my other rifles.  I am a fan of dedicated .22's (I have 2 AR's and the AKT).  When it works it is great.  There is nothing better then blasting away at pop cans from 50 yards, knowing that your paying only 1.7 cents per round.

Thanks!

Brad
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#14]
My new centerfire catalog has the Romanian AK's in 22 lr in it. I think they were $239.
Go to  www.centerfiresystems.com and look online or order their catalog. It's FREE!!! not many things are now-a-days.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#16]
What's the difference between the Centerfire Systems Ak and the AKT-98? Are they the same guns with different stocks?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Can you clarify which model these mags are? Finding a way to siamese them into hicaps could be good fun!

Without seeing both together... I strongly suspect the first sales had US stocks added after import to give them pistol grip sales sizzle, and now the cheaper Romy thumbhole is being sold for the same price.

Sure can!  "Nickel-Plated 10 shot clip magazine 22 caliber long rifle only, For Models: 70PSS, 995SS and 70L with last-shot hold-open feature".  Available at Gander Mountain, Cabela's, and Mills Fleet Farm.  These are the same mags I use in my Marlin Model 795.   The packaging has a picture of the "Marlin Cowboy" on his horse.  IIRC they sell for $11 - $12.

If you figure out a way to make hicaps please let me know!!!

Brad

Edited for spelling and additional info.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#19]
brad check your im mail
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Took my RPK .22 out today to see if my modifications to the magazines would improve my fail to feed problem.  Hallelujah! Out of 50 rounds only had 3 jams.  Shaved a little more plastic out of the inside of the mag and the last 50 went well.  Now this was with the dust cover off.  I am still having problems with spent case ejection.  The empties end up in the fire control as well as stove piping.  I ran out of ammo so no further work on that situation.  Oh well it feeds now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:53:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Numrich is selling high-cap .22 magazines exactly like Ceiner's AR15 mags but without the adapter shell.  I ordered a couple of them, I think they could be welded into a standard AK 30-rd magazine - or any other magazine for that matter.  I don't have the gun yet but hope to soon, check out the mags by searching on Numrich site for .22 magazines.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Anybody have their old plastic stock and pistol grip from their rifle they want to sell?  Let me know, I like the look of them.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top