Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/7/2006 3:47:18 PM EDT
so i was shooting it today and put it down then picked it up later and went to open the action up to take a look and verify there was a bullet in there, and i pulled on it and it doesnt move more than a quarter inch, so i pull harder and go back and forth and still no go.. what could be happening here? if i look from underneath where the mag goes you can see the thing that the firing pin sits in start to rotate like it should and then it stops after a 1/4 inch ... i think there is a round in there so im hesitant to bang on it with a hammer.... heh anyways maybe the bolt is hung on the ejector or something... what do you think?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
probably have an empty case that is stuck in the chamber...

this woud not be happen to be wolf 5.45 you are using? i had the same thing happen at least 4 times with that stuff...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the safety on?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Got Joeken?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Could be a live round stuck in the chamber, treat it thusly.

Remove magazine, find a wooden board or bench, put safety off, keep body parts away from muzzle.

Smack the butt on the tabletop/board and pull back hard on the charging handle at the same time.

Another technique, for the range is to remove mag, hook the bolt handle on the top or left side of the bench and push the rifle forward violently. Keep the muzzle down range when doing so and try not to catch your fingers / knuckles on the bench.  Also keep fingers away from the trigger!!!!

I've used that trick on everything from FAL's to AR's.

Once you get it cleared break it down and check the chamber, could have a broken case in there.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#7]
And nobody has seen the safety issue here.

so i was shooting it today and put it down then picked it up later and went to open the action up to take a look and verify there was a bullet in there

How about clearing the rifle before you lay it down? Glad You dont shoot at any ranges I go to.
Did you just leave a chambered rifle laying on the bench? I dont pass judgement on anybody here. But that was a VERY unsafe thing you did. What if some yahoo came up while you werent looking all like "Hey man thats a cool gun!" BANG "Oops!"
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#8]
your headspace could be off
ive seen it hapen befor on a new chicom  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

so i was shooting it today and put it down then picked it up later and went to open the action up to take a look and verify there was a bullet in there

How about clearing the rifle before you lay it down? Glad You dont shoot at any ranges I go to.
Did you just leave a chambered rifle laying on the bench? I dont pass judgement on anybody here. But that was a VERY unsafe thing you did. What if some yahoo came up while you werent looking all like "Hey man thats a cool gun!" BANG "Oops!"

Yep!! Serious safety issue here....obviously shooter laid down gun without cycling action to check for a clear chamber. I hope that it is a fired round stuck in there, but you really should practice never laying down any gun without clearing the rifle(or pistol) first.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah i am on my own land, i layed the rifle down to put up more targets, ill try some of the methods mentioned and see what happens, thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep!! Serious safety issue here....obviously shooter laid down gun without cycling action to check for a clear chamber. I hope that it is a fired round stuck in there, but you really should practice never laying down any gun without clearing the rifle(or pistol) first.

AS long as I am NOT on a public range ALL of my guns are ALWAYS loaded no safety issue you pick up one of my guns pull the trigger it goes bang.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#14]
the method that worked was drobs method, and it was only that one bullet, put it in again and it did the same jam... then i set my rifle down fully loaded safety off with a bunch of children ages 3-8 crawling around it, and i went to my gf's house to get some then i came back picked up the rifle and began firing again, into the air. anyways thanks drobs!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
the method that worked was drobs method, and it was only that one bullet, put it in again and it did the same jam... then i set my rifle down fully loaded safety off with a bunch of children ages 3-8 crawling around it, and i went to my gf's house to get some then i came back picked up the rifle and began firing again, into the air. anyways thanks drobs!!!

I take it you didn't appreciate the comments about safety....

To the guys who do this on a regular basis, I know a lot of people who drink and drive and have never had an accident, however,  the record will show that numerous tradgedies have resulted from both practices.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#16]
naw i just wanted to get your goat
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

LOL, well I certianly appreciated the humor of it.

Sounds like the case wasn't sized properly.  It happens, just had a bad round of Wolf the other day with a similar problem.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#18]
yeah it was wolf here too but for 90 bucks for 1000 u cant go wrong! ;)
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#19]
check your headspace
just cause you got the round out and it dosnt seem to jam on other rounds dosnt mean everythang is good
and it will ruin the rifle instead of just needing a new bolt if the headspace is off

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#20]
thats wierd tho i have put 2000 rds thru it already without a problem.. how can the headspace be off if you press the original barrel back in and use the pin to align everything?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Good to hear you cleared the jam. I occasionally will practice weapon transitions, rifle to pistol, and back. I always put the safety on, no point in clearing the weapon everytime I transition.

I didn't notice any safety violation. As long you put your safety on and keep aware of your surroundings, I don't see a problem.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top