Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/6/2006 4:01:05 PM EDT
I was spying on the AR "my rifle has more junk than yours" guys and found this.
http://www.coloradoshooting.org/ar_refinishing.htm
http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/
Looks very promising and cheap...Although not as cheap as a can of Dupli-coat High temp spary and bake....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:26:27 PM EDT
I'd just gunkote it myself if I were you, all it takes is an oven and a $40 airbrush.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:02:17 PM EDT
Gun Kote or Moly Resin. I have a Badger 350 airbrush but I've found that the cheapo airbrush at Harbor Freight ($5 on sale) works well too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:46:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:24:10 PM EDT
Gun Kote works great and I'll be trying DuraCoat this spring. Sandblast the rifle first for best results and use K-Phos before using Gun Kote. I use a cheapy $20 airbrush from Harbor and I made a sandblaster for $20 total from stuff at Home Depot and I've gotten excellent results ...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:34:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 8:34:47 PM EDT by TheRedHorseman]
K-phos is supposed to be the proverbial "shiznittle-shiz-bang-bang"(to put it in "urban" terms) but I've had great results with naval jelly and a cheap $0.50 paint brush from ace hardware, plus it is way cheaper if you're doing it on a budget
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:37:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 9:48:09 PM EDT by tapeo1]

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
K-phos is supposed to be the proverbial "shiznittle-shiz-bang-bang"(to put it in "urban" terms) but I've had great results with naval jelly and a cheap $0.50 paint brush from ace hardware, plus it is way cheaper if you're doing it on a budget

An even cheaper product is Jasco Prep & Primer. I dilute the Prep & Primer with water, heat to a soft boil, remove from heat, add metal parts for about 15 minutes, remove metal parts, rinse with hot water and then spray with some WD40. Jasco Prep & Primer is just phosphoric acid and will give the metal a quick park job. It's certainly not the prettiest park job but works just fine if you're planning on putting paint, molyresin or gunkote over it.
Top Top