Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 6:58:01 AM EDT
I’m sure this has been asked before, but I couldn’t find it.  Why is the flash hider look like it was put on incorrectly?  Twisted to the right side.  Just curious!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#1]
It utilizes the muzzle blast to keep the rifle from walking when fired full auto..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:07:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It utilizes the muzzle blast to keep the rifle from walking when fired full auto..

OH! Thanks.  I looked at one the other day and it looked like someone had put the FH on crooked or something!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#3]
it is twisted
somethang to do with the ejecting side of the rifle
i dont claim to understand it
but thats why it is the way it is
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:02:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting that you ask that.

When the ban first ended I had my local FFL order a non-ban WASR and he laughed when it came in because he thought Century installed the slant brake wrong!  I had to tell him that they are SUPPOSED to be that way...

If you think about it, it makes sense.  An AK firing full auto will push the muzzle of the barrel up and to the shooter's left.  The brake compensates down and to the right.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Under full auto fire, the natural way for the rifle to move is up and to the right (for a right handed shooter, looking down the sights). The slant attempts to move the muzzle down and to the left to counteract this. The AK-74 brake does the same with its gas ports offset to the right.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Something to do with the rifling turning the bullet one way, equal-but-opposite-reaction of the rifle going the other way, and the offset brake counteracting this, or I might not know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont think it has anything to do with the rifling actually. When the rifle recoils into your shoulder it twists your body to the right. As your shoulder goes back, and as your body twists, the muzzle goes up and to the right.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Cattywompas?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Cattywompas?

or catowonkered = crooked,  in the Funk and Wagner
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#10]
If there is a full moon and you are in the Eastern Hemisphere, the brake should be turned to the left, in the good ols USA it's to the right.

Seriously, it's to counter the recoil reaction of the rifle that will want to "walk" up and to the right.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#11]
First - it's a brake...  Flash hiders perform an entirely different fuction.

Now - clange has it right... the simple half-moon brake is designed to compensate for natural full auto movement.  It's very basic, but it works fairly well :)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top