Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/2/2006 2:49:41 PM EDT
I was at the range yesterday and the recoil spring on my MAK-90 broke. I don't understand this. I've only put about 8,000+ rnds through it . I thought AKs were indestructable.I think I'm gonna just throw this POS away.
OK , sarcasm mode off.
Anybody know of a place online to get a new spring cheap.  I can get one at the funshow at the end of Feb. if need be. I'm just impatient and want to fix it as soon as I can.

Thanx
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I think Copes Distributing has some.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Me no speak Chinese ... ...

Try the EE or IM jeepcreep ... He might know
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.

Now all I gotta do is find parts for the other stuff that broke/quit working yesterday

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
tag.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm gonna get it for saying this, but it is a well known fact (read most weapon literature - do some research) that the Chicom ak's are of questionable metallurgy.  

That being because all the parts on chicom ak's are made in about 30 different outlying villages and sent to certain regional factories to be fitted and assembled.  So you are never really sure how well village #12 was doing that month with the recoil spring metal.

#12 must have been going thru behavior modification the week your recoil spring arrived at the factory.  hoo
cya
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm gonna get it for saying this, but it is a well known fact (read most weapon literature - do some research) that the Chicom ak's are of questionable metallurgy.  

That being because all the parts on chicom ak's are made in about 30 different outlying villages and sent to certain regional factories to be fitted and assembled.  So you are never really sure how well village #12 was doing that month with the recoil spring metal.

#12 must have been going thru behavior modification the week your recoil spring arrived at the factory.  

anyhoo

cya

Thanks, I needed a laugh.

Considering the hell I've put my AKs through they have done pretty damn good.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:18:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

#12 must have been going thru behavior modification the week your recoil spring arrived at the factory.  hoo
cya

+1

I was always of the opinion that spring quality on a Chicom AK was questionable.  Work the mag catch on a Chicom AK side-by-side with anybody else's:  the Chicom spring feels like a toy gun spring.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:35:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Just send it to me I'll replace the spring, play with it awhile and give it to someone else to play with for awhile eventually it will come back home
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

#12 must have been going thru behavior modification the week your recoil spring arrived at the factory.  

anyhoo

cya

I personally like the Chinese above all other AK's and have had less trouble with them than any other (except .223 Norinco's - every one I have had doubled when fired, and were promptly traded off).  That being said, springs are one of the things Chinese aren't the best at overall.  The springs in AK's are probably some of the best springs that the Chinese make, however any inconsistency in heat-treatment of the base spring stock will lead to premature failure.  Your's failed at 8,000 rounds, that actually seems pretty decent.  Most American-made commercial rifles won't even last that many rounds.  See how many rounds you can put through a Remington 742 before it suffers from terminal failure.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Back in the 80's I bought a few Chinese guns...their manuals said they were only rated for around 10k rounds before something would break...MTBF.

I remember the hammers being soft enough that they had to "work" harden - being too soft.  The Legends had heat treated internals but the receivers were soft.  Plenty of gun for the money - back then but I much prefer the Europeans.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#13]
hey cave man  when we got back home i found  a rommie and a chi com recole spring  i brought every spare part but that  ther is a greensburo gun show comming up towards the end of the month and raleigh show too good luke with the part
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:07:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Does anyone sell a reasonably priced ("cheap") replacement AK spring kit? (Recoil spring, hammer spring, disconnector spring, extractor spring, and magazine latch spring. That's it, right?)
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just send it to me I'll replace the spring, play with it awhile and give it to someone else to play with for awhile eventually it will come back home

How do ya think I got it in the first place?

NO! You can't play with my toy!

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
hey cave man  when we got back home i found  a rommie and a chi com recole spring  i brought every spare part but that  ther is a greensburo gun show comming up towards the end of the month and raleigh show too good luke with the part

Yeah, I dug around in my parts box and have everything but the spring.
When the Charlotte show gets here at the end of Feb. I'm gonna load-up on parts...and ammo of course.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Does anyone sell a reasonably priced ("cheap") replacement AK spring kit? (Recoil spring, hammer spring, disconnector spring, extractor spring, and magazine latch spring. That's it, right?)

there's a kit from Falcon Arms and a kit with a little more from K-var
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
there's a kit from Falcon Arms and a kit with a little more from K-var

Thanks for the links!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top