Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/29/2005 12:29:21 PM EDT
I'm interested in picking up a Romanian AK47. From what I've been told this is a sporterized model, no bayonet lug, etc, though it does have a folding stock. It comes with a sling, and 2 20 round mags. The price NIB is $464+tax. Is this a reasonable asking price, or would some of the "deals" in shotgun news be a better place to look? I just don't want to end up with a P.O.S. that I have to rebuild.
Thanks in advance for the advice guys'.
J.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:33:50 PM EDT
Here is a good site with info on Romanian AK's and there price range.

I'm a noob myself and I use this site all of the time for any questions on my SAR1 AK

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model.htm
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:40:22 PM EDT
Too much, even for a brand new SAR-1.

AIM surplus has the no-ban WASRs for $319.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:14:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By EC11:
I just don't want to end up with a P.O.S. that I have to rebuild.

J.

Then don't buy a Romanian.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:29:00 PM EDT
don't let these clowns fool you, with their romy hatin agenda

a good built SAR will work everytime, and will outlive you.

But if you're on a budget you might go for one of the WASRs, off AIM or anywhere else that has them, I'd go with AIM though they seem to have the best deal.

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/NEW_AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Bayonet_Lug___Muzzle_Break.html
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:54:29 PM EDT
i picked up my wasr 10 (romainian) for ?375..........it is a nice peace........it tears stuff up pretty good.......if i were you i would check both types out first...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:27:01 PM EDT
Thank's for the info guys'. I'm going to go hagle with the shop tomorrow, and see if I can get them to drop the price. If they don't, I'll just go get it at aimsurplus.
J.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:24:20 AM EDT
i have had my sar1 for some time now and have never had a single failure
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:32:14 AM EDT
I had a SAR-1 and I currently own a SAR-3. They are good rifles which function reliably out of the box. However, these guns are no longer imported.

What are imported now are WASR's, and from everything that I have heard they are junk. At a bare minimum you will need to cut/grind a sizable piece of metal out of the mag well in order for it to accecpt high cap mags and drums properly and you will also probably need to grind a few burs out of the mag well. There is also a good chance that the front sight block on your WASR will be canted (check it carefully). If you put another $300-$400 dollars into it by sending it to someone like AK-USA then you will eventually end up with a decent rifle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:37:26 AM EDT
i agree with the wasr needing the mag well grinding.

a friend purchased one and we had to grind out the mag well but the front sight isnt canted
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:46:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
I had a SAR-1 and I currently own a SAR-3. They are good rifles which function reliably out of the box. However, these guns are no longer imported.

What are imported now are WASR's,If you put another $300-$400 dollars into it by sending it to someone like AK-USA then you will eventually end up with a decent rifle.

A Romanian WASR-10 is not worth another $300-$400 of improvement work. I'd rather take the $700 spent to make the WASR and buy something that's nice in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:48:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By No1Here:

Originally Posted By motown_steve:

What are imported now are WASR's,If you put another $300-$400 dollars into it by sending it to someone like AK-USA then you will eventually end up with a decent rifle.

A Romanian WASR-10 is not worth another $300-$400 of improvement work. I'd rather take the $700 spent to make the WASR and buy something that's nice in the first place.

That was where I was leading, with my usual brand of sarcasm.
Top Top