Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/29/2005 2:31:05 AM EDT
Wouldn't the rifle be FA without the disconector?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:01:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AKLover_91:
Wouldn't the rifle be FA without the disconector?

it might slam-fire uncontrollably. If that's your version of full auto, then yes.

Sounds dangerous and stupid to me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:11:45 AM EDT
Since I never tried to fire an AK without a disconnector I don't know for sure what would happen. Logically one of two things would occur: automatic fire; or failure to fire. Since the Russians saw fit to equip the rifle with an auto sear, they must have believed that the rifle would not operate properly without it. Therefore, I conclude that failure to fire is the most likely outcome.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:44:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 6:50:12 AM EDT by legonas]
if by full auto you mean it could ALSO fire before the bolt closes, allowing an out of battery discharge.

without the disconnector, the hammer will basically freefloat as long as the trigger is pulled. what this means is that it will "ride" the bolt backwards, and then "ride" it forward. it probably wont hit the firing pin hard enough to ignite the hard primers on common ammo before the bullet is properly seated in the chamber.

what would most likely happen is FTF. the hammer will ride the bolt forward, giving a weak hit on the firing pin while the bullet is still being stripped off of the mag, and because the round isnt chambered yet, will just move it instead of setting of the primer. the bolt will continue forward to chamber the round, but the hammer will have already fallen and will still be pushing the firing pin. this COULD cause a slamfire as soon as the round is chambered, or BEFORE its even chambered. or nothing could happen.

i have never done this so i dont know. its not a good idea. its a REAL REAL bad idea. maybe even darwin award bad idea.

edited to add: ACCORDING TO MY UNDERSTANDING, any rifle that fires more then one round with the pull of a trigger is considered a full auto weapon by the BATFE. even if just a malfunction, your rifle is now illegally full auto. its your responsibilty to fix it. and fix it fast.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:59:35 AM EDT
No it wont fire at all, legonas is correct the hammer will just ride the bolt back and forth 1 time. If it was that easy to make it fire full auto there is no way in the world they would let us have them. I wouldnt even waste my time trying.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:19:20 PM EDT
It was just a noob-curisity question, not something i'd do.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:32:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 2:33:32 PM EDT by clange]

Originally Posted By 762bodydropper:
No it wont fire at all, legonas is correct the hammer will just ride the bolt back and forth 1 time. If it was that easy to make it fire full auto there is no way in the world they would let us have them. I wouldnt even waste my time trying.

This is what I suspect would happen, you'd pull the trigger, the gun would fire, the hammer would ride the bolt/carrier forward, and nothing would happen. To fire again you'd have to rack the bolt again, ejecting an unfired round just to cock the hammer.

It would be semi-auto only still, and a much poorer semi-auto at that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:59:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By clange:

This is what I suspect would happen, you'd pull the trigger, the gun would fire, the hammer would ride the bolt/carrier forward, and nothing would happen. To fire again you'd have to rack the bolt again, ejecting an unfired round just to cock the hammer.

Sounds like the 3rd position on my semi-auto FAL.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:47:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By clange:

This is exactly what happens. We did it in Iraq.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:59:51 PM EDT

Exactly. When the FAL selector is in the FA position, the disconnector won't catch the hammer. But, without an auto sear to hold until the bolt closes, it follows the bolt forward and nothing happens. I've done it dry-practicing but I never actually tried it with ammo. Since it didn't work "full-auto" when manually cycling the bolt, it obviously wouldn't work with ammo.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:47:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dorsai:

Exactly. When the FAL selector is in the FA position, the disconnector won't catch the hammer. But, without an auto sear to hold until the bolt closes, it follows the bolt forward and nothing happens. I've done it dry-practicing but I never actually tried it with ammo. Since it didn't work "full-auto" when manually cycling the bolt, it obviously wouldn't work with ammo.

I forget now, but it fires one shot and the hammer doesn't reset. I think I had to manually eject the casing.
Top Top