Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/23/2005 8:54:58 PM EDT
The reason I say this is because when I chamber a round in my SAR-1 and cycle it out without firing it, the primer has a small crater where the firing pin has struck it.  Are there ways to stop this from happening (modified bolt and pin)?

Is doubling common?  Has this ever happened to anyone with an AK or SKS?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
ar15s do the same thing

doubling is not common, and it wont hurt anything unless you reload with super soft primers like federal gold medal match primers.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#2]
What you see is common. So long as hard military primers are used, you should have no problem. All of the Russian commercial stuff has the hard primers. If you are anal about these things a spring loaded firing pin bolt can be had.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have slam fired a Saiga .308 when I was slapping the bolt home with my palm. It fucking hurt, and my palm swelled up really big.

EDITED to add that the ammo was south african ball.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a nice scar on my right palm from doing the same with my SKS....
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:02:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Its also possible that you have some gunk built up in your bolt...Check to see if your firing pin floats freely...If not, hose it down with brake clean and follow up with some light oil
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:23:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Never happened in the 10+ years I've been shooting AKs , and I've unloaded
a Shitload of chambered rounds
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Its also possible that you have some gunk built up in your bolt...Check to see if your firing pin floats freely...If not, hose it down with brake clean and follow up with some light oil

From my understanding, the free floting pin is what causes the catered primer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#8]
SKS doubling is a known issue, it's in here somewhere:  www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp  a dirty bolt will do it too.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was testing out some new used mags I chambered and rechambered the same rounds quite a few times. They were all dimpled but as someone already said, as long as you have hard mil. primers nothing bad should happen.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I have NEVER had a slam fire in either an AK or AR but Robpiat brings up a VERY good point. Gunked up (w/cosmoline and dirt) firing pin can ruin your day.

On a similar note........I'll never forget the time I slammed shut an old antique 1870's double barrelled shotgun WITHOUT rebounding firing pins and BOTH barrels went off at once. Thank GOD they were pointed downrange!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had 3 slam fires with my Match AR's over +/- 15 years of shooting.  I was using Federal GM primers at the time (carry over from my M-14 days...)  

I switched to differend brand(s) of primers and have never had another slam-fire.

If you play this game long enough, you're gonna have SOMETHING happen you don't expect.  

k
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top