Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/19/2005 1:07:24 PM EDT
OK Guys.....
I've been doing alot of thinking on this. And since it seems many dealers are out of recievers anyway, I don't see why I shouldn't go completely from scratch on this build. I have some templates for the layout of holes and such. I have everything but a nice chunk of 3 x 1.25" steel for the male die. I have a nice assortment of sheet metal from the bodywork I do. And with all the industrial places in this area, I'm sure I can turn up something soon for that male die.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't just make a thicker than standard reciever?
I'm thinking 1.5mm or so instead of 1mm.
I can mill dimples in flat bar stock to make dies for the side dimples and for rivet setting.
I'm assuming longer pins will have to be made. No sweat there. Looks like simple lathe work.
I'm assuming that would make heat treatment easier as well since I would only have to do the holes and rails and then anneal the piece in my oven.
I'm an old steam plant mechanic, machinist and welder with a decently equipped home shop. The more I look at all this, the more I think "YEAH! I can do this!".
I have a lathe and mill combo from Shoptask that I've had since 1997. MIG and gas welding equipment, bead blast booth, metal cutting bandsaw, 12 ton press, floor model 1 hp drill press with 17" swing and an assortment of metal and wood working tools and even a home made table converted to hold a belt sander.
I'm doing alot of assuming here and yes, I know the dangers of that. But I have gone over a number of tutorials in detail and I find myself getting very exceited to do this. And the key to any successful project, besides a large bank account, is the fire in your belly to get you through the work and complete it. That in itself helps especially when you lack that large bank account.

I guess I'm looking for comments here from others who build things from scratch.

I'm thinking I could crush a scrap piece of metal in the die and then mill out the area where the dimples for the mag support need to be. Then, after forming the real piece, it'd be a simple matter to press a male die in each side to dimple the sides of the reciever.

And although I have no plans to ever sell one. Pass them to my son someday? Sure. But as a private builder, should I mark the reciever bottom with my name and city or is that only required of manufacturers? It's be a bear to have to do that later if I did sell one!

I've really come to like the Duracoat finish on my present AKM. Is that as easy to apply as regular catalyzed automotive paints? I have a HVLP gun that works great as a "air brush" for small parts. But, of course, I no experience shooting Duracoat.

Thanks in advance! I'll look forward to any comments you have. Even all the cheesy humorous ones.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:18:17 PM EDT
It sounds like you have the two most important ingredients,experience and desire!Keep us posted on your progress.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:35:41 AM EDT
I'm a little confused by your post.

Are you planning on starting with a receiver flat? You say you have a template for locating the holes. On a flat all the holes are already there.

If you are planning on drilling all your own holes, start with a bent blank, and you won't need to go through the hassle of building a bending jig, just drill the holes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:24:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By maxxx93:
I'm a little confused by your post.

Are you planning on starting with a receiver flat? You say you have a template for locating the holes. On a flat all the holes are already there.

If you are planning on drilling all your own holes, start with a bent blank, and you won't need to go through the hassle of building a bending jig, just drill the holes.

I think he is talking about starting completely from scratch. No flat, no blank... just tools and metal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:04:34 PM EDT
That's correct. Start with sheet steel and build all my own tools to bend it. Drilling it and doing the openings will be no sweat.
I can't see paying someone $50 plus shipping for a bent piece with no holes. It's bent steel, not rocket science or closely machined parts. Once I spend a day on the tooling, it's there forever to re-use.
The Tapco flats seem reasonable. But if the holes are sometimes a little off anyway and two of the kits I will build are underfolders, I may as well take the time to locate the holes accurately the first time. So at $12 each, they aren't saving me much trouble.
I like the idea of a thicker reciever anyway.
My last kit got here today. It's a Polish underfolder from SG. Very worn finish from being carried alot. Not quite as nice as the lightly worn finish one I got from Copes. But this one was $20 less. But it had matching numbers, an excellent barrel and nice accessories. Good kit fodder.
I'm no gunsmith. But I've been working metal for some years now. These projects have me pretty psyched up!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:26:35 AM EDT
It can definitely be done from a just a hunk of sheet metal, I know, cause I've done it.
But this was back when the only flats available were the ones from FAC at $49 bucks a pop.
Now that they are available for only $12 I would never bother to start from scratch again.

I have built many from flats, the only holes that ever required any attention were the trunnion holes, and only because they vary slightly from trunnion to trunnion.
Underfolder flats are also available, although they are more expensive.

The fact that the flats have the dimples and chicken feet already done is reason enough for me.
Plus they come with the rails
Once you finish your receiver, I think you'll agree, it would have been $12 well spent.

Please don't misinterpret my post, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, in fact I applaud your ingenuity.
Just a tip from a guy who's been there, done that.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:59:10 AM EDT
Rails! Duh.
You're right. Forgot about them. I don't have patterns for those. And if I have to order them seperately, I may as well just get the flats too. Only a couple dollars difference.
I had a loss of "big picture" accident there on that one! I appreciate the common sense check.
And since I want to use G2 trigger groups like my present AKM uses, a US made grip and gas pistons too it'll make send to order three of everything at once just to save shipping.
Thanks Man!
Top Top