Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/16/2005 8:42:04 PM EDT
It's easy enough to tape a couple of 30 or 40 round mags together if you want a lot of rounds accessible in short order.  Is there a real world combat advantage of having a drum magazine?

The only I can really think of is the fact that drums don't stick out as far underneath the rifle, and would therefore be preferable if shooting from prone.

Of course, there's the advantage of making a liberal wet his pants at the mere sight of an AK with a drum magazine, but that advantage is only slightly greater then when the magazine is a 30 rounder anyways.

Basically, I'm trying to convince myself that I should spend the money to get a drum mag, and I need your help.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
buy the first chicom 75 rounder you find for $100 ish and enjoy.  if you ever bumpfire you'll never, ever, ever regret buying that mag.  they just look freaking cool, especially if you have an AK pistol
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
...Or get one of these...

Why stop at 75 rounds??

More is always better...

KyARGuy

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both, the 75 and 100 round Chicom drums, and they are great on Full Auto
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#4]
like TheRedHorseman said, bump-fire (or rapid fire) a drum and you'll see that the fun level is unmatched over all otherr  mags. drums are also a good investment in that they will at the very least hold their value, so if you buy one and don't like it, you can always get your money back on it.  drums also have a lower profile than the 40's (and the 30's as well) and like you said, if you shoot prone/use a bipod, it's clear to see the advantage over the 40's. 40's also tend to wobble quite a bit (i never had one that fit as snug as a 30 rounder or a drum) in the magwell and the wobble in conjunction with the higer weight and length of the 40 creates more torque on the magwell in that if the 40 is caught up on something (like the ground or a branch or you drop it etc),  it has the potential to stress the magwell and this is something that always subconsciously bothered me about the 40's. Also, unlike 2 40's jungle clipped, with a drum you dont have to stop and flip them which is especially useful when outnumbered & confronted by a mob circling 360 degrees around you
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#5]
AK drums originated with the RPK, the RPK is purely a suppressive fire weapon and with that said, a large capacity mag/drum in combat for that type of weapon is essential. As far as what use for us civilians, theres no real purpose other than there fun! McM
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:51:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I use it to burn all that unsightly oil off the barrel
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:19:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had several Chicom drums through the years and have sold all of them off in favor of 30 rounders and black duct tape ...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:35:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Everybody should have at least one drum for their collection.....And fully loaded they make great boat anchors...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#9]
They suck to carry around. But they are ALOT faster than swithcing mags even if they are taped together.  They are not really practical except in a stationary situation.  In the car or around the house They would be great. But out in the woods or in an urban swituation your not gonna be able to hold it up in the shooting position for very long.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#10]
AK + Drum = Commie Tommy Gun!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
AMD65 + Drum = Commie Tommy Gun!

there ya go
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:39:39 AM EDT
[#12]
In a typical 9 man infantry squad the squad will have one or two crew served weapon systems. (mission may dictate the amount) Like a M240 or a M249 (M249 in not considered a crew served but it does sling a lot of lead) This means that everybody else has a M16 w/30 round mags. One of the problems with that set up is on contact or suppressive fire all the rifleman may/will run out of ammo at the same time or about the same time and everybody will be doing mag changes at the same time or about the same time. This will leave only the crew served guys firing. What should happen to prevent this is half the rifleman should be laying down fire at a slower or faster rate then the other half of the rifleman. This will prevent the problem of everybody emptying their mags at the same time. Of course combat has a way of changing how things really work. Now throw in 2 or 3 guys with 100 round beta mags. Now you have half the rifleman with 30 round mags and 2-3 with beta mags. They most likely will not all have a mag change at the same time. This means that at least half the rifle squad will be firing at the same time enabling the squad to maintain there rate of fire on the enemy. Change out M16’s for AK’s and beta mags for 75/100 round drums and you have the same situation. Plus shooting 75/100 round drums without a mag change at the range is fun as well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I use it to burn all that unsightly oil off the barrelhr

Icould not agree more.  I have two and love them I am still plinking while my buddys change mags.  I love the profile as well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Because I can.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#15]
got one the other day for $90.00 and when the rain stops, its off to the range. No roof over range.....

Quoted:
buy the first chicom 75 rounder you find for $100 ish and enjoy.  if you ever bumpfire you'll never, ever, ever regret buying that mag.  they just look freaking cool, especially if you have an AK pistol

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#16]
No AK should be without one.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]
For a defensive position, they are the next best thing to a beltfed. I bought every one I could find for a while at a reasonable price and wouldn't sell them for anything. Wish I had bought them back when they were $30 a piece.

Now, the 1919 is the weapon of choice so links are what I've been buying lately.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It's easy enough to tape a couple of 30 or 40 round mags together if you want a lot of rounds accessible in short order.  Is there a real world combat advantage of having a drum magazine?

The only I can really think of is the fact that drums don't stick out as far underneath the rifle, and would therefore be preferable if shooting from prone.

Of course, there's the advantage of making a liberal wet his pants at the mere sight of an AK with a drum magazine, but that advantage is only slightly greater then when the magazine is a 30 rounder anyways.

Basically, I'm trying to convince myself that I should spend the money to get a drum mag, and I need your help.

Don't spend the $$$ so I can go ahead and buy it. If the advantages are not obviousn to you then you do not need it....I do
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I bought one, and hated it. I made the rifle too heavy and unwieldy to shoot from the shoulder, and it sticks out too far on the sides to bump-fire comfortably. I was glad to get rid of it.

It's a different case if you have an RPK and/or a bipod. I think using one with a bipod would make it much more fun.

I much prefer 40rd. mags. You can buy four 40 rd. mags for the same price as a Chinese drum will cost.

Don't bother with taping mags together either.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top