Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2005 10:52:25 AM EDT
I am one of those gifted lefty shooters and I am trying to figure out a sling arrangement. I have a few AR side sling adapters and they look like they might work. 2 problems and or questions though. It seems if I use the heavy barrel side I could open the holder up just a wee bit and fit it to the top of the gas block.
If I use the thin barrel side and add a sliver of alum(or some thin piece of metal) I could make it work on the barrel. Which is the better option?

These are the side sling adapters I am talking about:

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/slings/12598617k.asp

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/slings/nes-09k.asp
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd rather put it on the barrel. There is a chance (albeit very small) that it might put some unwanted stress on the gas chamber at some point.

Galland
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The cheapest and most practical "assault sling" setup was devised decades ago in SEA. Get a Garand sling and a couple of feet of paracord. Adjust the sling to the longest length. Tie the paracord to one side of the rear sling swivel. Feed the other end through the loop of the sling. Leave enough slack so the sling is about 3" above the top of the stock. Tie the paracord to the other side of the sling swivel and trim off the excess. On the front, pass the paracord through the sling loop and through the hole in the front sight base and tie the ends together.Presto, an "assault sling". If you left enough slack at the rear the sling will clear the buttstock when you shoulder the rifle. Now adjust the length of the sling so the rifle rests where it's most comfortable for you. You can carry the rifle all day without tiring your arms and it is instantly ready if you control it with your left hand on the pistol grip(I'm a leftie too). Total cost $10.00 or less.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Aye, that's great! Thanks! Just tried it and although I didn't have a Garand sling handy I do have bunches of different slings(from all sorts of different rifles) and some paracord already here. After a little experimenting here and there I got a good setup. While I wasn't looking for an "assault" type sling this works out great for anytime you need a sling(with an AK that is, I don't think I'll be shooting any 300yd matches with it
Sometimes we just get to wrapped up and forget about using the KISS principle. Did have to make one addition though. You can't have something simple without using some duct tape, so as soon as I find my role of od green tape, I'm going to tape the metal buckles.

Thanks POLYTHENEPAM
so good looking that she looks like a man(sorry I couldn't resist)

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#4]
No apology needed.
If the sling you used was from a specific rifle, let me know so I can add it to my store of knowledge. A Garand sling is the only one I ever  used. Back in the day, it was the longest one available except for the one issued for the 60. The 'gunners would fight you for those, so we used what we could get.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:09:53 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.northridgeinc.com/1005-406-1570.gif

Slightly neater than 550 cord, and more importantly the front loop is wire so it won't melt like 550 can sometimes do.  You might have to tape (here's the duct tape for you) the rear so it doesn't keep slipping off the stock.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:21:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's what I use: ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=305929
With the H&K snaphook it clips onto the sling swivel of both my Romy folder AK's & my CopStock 870's.
Tomac
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 4:38:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am one of those gifted lefty shooters and I am trying to figure out a sling arrangement. I have a few AR side sling adapters and they look like they might work. 2 problems and or questions though. It seems if I use the heavy barrel side I could open the holder up just a wee bit and fit it to the top of the gas block.
If I use the thin barrel side and add a sliver of alum(or some thin piece of metal) I could make it work on the barrel. Which is the better option?

What about having one of these modified and welded onto the lower handguard retainer?  That would make it more stable and look like it was suppose to be there.

Just a thought.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top