Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2003 7:31:20 PM EDT
I spent several days deer hunting in Pa. over the past 2 weeks. First time actually hunting despite plenty of shooting in my life. Private land, relative of a good friend, and plenty of firepower to choose from. First took a M39 Mosin which I can steadily group 2moa or better taking my time. Thought familiarity and some mass out front to steady my pan as the deer moves would be best. 4ft guns weighing that much are no fun slogging through briars/brush/woods/fields/creeks all day long, and slow to shoulder when one bolts for a few seconds across a decent view. M44 was better handling but still slow to un-safety in the moment. Went back with a M48a 8mm backup and a Swede Mauser that came cheap last year pre-sporterized and chopped around 19". Much easier to carry ready all day and hold in front of you when crashing thru dense brush sections, easily thumbable safety, and flat shooting for any distance I can tell a buck from doe. Got a med buck Sat morning when one broke out across a field 100+yds away running, took two shots after my friend got one off, then harvested about 75yds away. Felt darned good; will hunt again.

Every deer we saw for 4 days work was offering only a brief shot opportunity. I have a much better appreciation for fast handling guns with quick target aquisition. I can still enjoy the PO scope and accept the weight for the huge field of view. But my attitude towards milled receivers and heavy barrelled carbines is much different now. Several times I was wishing for my Kobra'd AK with a 10rnd mag.

And I learned of another neat gun when I got to handle my hunting partner's Remington Gamemaster Model 141 in .35 caliber. Picture an 8mm Mauser short in a pump form.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:38:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2003 7:38:51 PM EDT by AJjer_Bullets]
I also went for the light-weight angle after my first time hunting.

I went and got a Winchester 94AE Carbine (16") in .44 Magnum.

You can practically hold it out with one hand and shoot it like a pistol, yet the recoil and sound is mild.

Made a considerable mess of the head of a deer I got this year.

You can hardly beat the balance and quick aiming ability of one of those.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:10:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:56:15 AM EDT
I like the Remington 30.06 Mountain Rifle, It is light as hell quick to the shoulder, and kicks like a mule....
Top Top